Is pen ink dangerous to use for a homemade tattoo?

«« Next Ear Stretch    Keloid on my hip? »»

Saturday May 5th, 2012 @ 5:38 AM

Filed under: Tattoos

I was thinking of trying to give myself a homemade tattoo. I know people who have used pen ink, but I was wondering if that was dangerous. Would I get ink poisoning? Is it okay to use pen ink, or should I order some actual tattoo ink? And how quickly do homemade tattoos fade?

Quite often pen ink is made in a low quality controlled environment, meaning it could contain all sorts of gunk that you don’t want in your body. How quickly the tattoo ‘fades’ depends on how well it’s done (too deep or too shallow will cause fading) and also where on your body it’s going. Keeping in mind it will never fade to nothing, you will always have some darker and lighter bits.

My suggestion would be to purchase actual tattoo ink which is FDA approved for it’s purpose, rather than any old ink you find laying around.

Posted by Joeltron | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

10 Responses to “Is pen ink dangerous to use for a homemade tattoo?”

1. You’ve got to be kidding me? Don’t think about getting a homemade tattoo, what are you going to use? A dirty safety pin? There is no true way of sterilizing it. Boiling it, bleaching it, dipping it in alcohol, or putting it under a flame. That still won’t sterilizing it, you don’t know if your body will be allergic to the pen ink? That could kill you, who knows what is in pen ink. If you are underage, I recommend you to wait a few years to get a real tattoo. You don’t know what kind of infections you can be facing by doing it yourself. When I was younger, I tried doing the pen ink and safety pin method, the ink ended up fully pushing out, and it thankfully healed up without infection. So please, it’s the best idea to wait till you are old enough to get one professionally done, or start saving up if you are of age.

TKnuckles on May 6th, 2012 at 11:05 am
  2. do it

alkfjeofnd;lfkj on November 6th, 2012 at 5:35 pm
  3. dude dont be a dumbass just get it done at a shop. there are plenty who dont ask for i.d and will tattoo you

sir kneighf on November 10th, 2012 at 12:29 am
  4. I did my three dots in class with a sharp ended point of a pencil and marker eyeliner and anything I could find… don’t do a home made tattoo for big ones… but they don’t. Fully fade… I still have the three dots

Tattoo Babi on March 20th, 2013 at 3:02 pm
  5. I did it and still healthy!!!!!!

Tattoo Babi on March 20th, 2013 at 3:03 pm
  6. i got ftw on my upper wrist and i got staff infection DONT DO IT

13 year old t.t.f.u on March 25th, 2013 at 1:50 pm
  7. ive done most of my tats with pen ink and a sewing needle. im fine and theyre bitchin. dont do it if you are a bitch cause it hurts but if you can handle the pain its totally worth it cause you did it. not someone you wont remember their name when your 50

ididitmyself on May 11th, 2013 at 3:38 am
  8. I’ve done 20 tattoos on myself and a few on my friends and they are all healthy. just make sure you have good hygiene and you shouldn’t have to worry about infection. make sure you sterilize the needle and I always but a drop or 2 of hand sanitizer in the pen ink not only does it help sterilize the in but it separates the gel and gives you better color:)Good luck!!

Austin on June 17th, 2013 at 11:33 pm
  9. I did mine in church bathroom, yesterday after my mom’s funeral on my ankle bone where I used to burn myself with cigarettes. (this background info serves to let you know I’m not the most stable person, so take my advise witha grain of salt)
    I used, and recommend using a syringe needle (hospital needle)
    And it came in a sterile tube and package. I would suggest getting a sterile needle from some sort of first aid kit or medicle supply store. It also works better as the needle is cut at an angle and allows for the ink to slide in from the needle. Also, yes hand sanitizer on the skin before, during and after and a sterile gause from the med kit to keep it moist for a while after you finish (IDK about the moist part, but was told by someone else)

niles on July 22nd, 2013 at 3:55 pm
  10. Also, be very careful, it is very addictive. I already want to give myself more tats and as for me it’s a spiritual thing, I wont allow any one else that level of intimacy with my body. … But this craving for more, I can tell, is really dangerous. If you have addictive personality issues, DON’T GET A TAT LIGHTLY!
    Also, the odds of effing up and giving yourself an ugly one is good reason to pause and think if over a minute.

niles on July 22nd, 2013 at 3:59 pm