microdermals vs. skin divers?

«« Preparing for an apprenticeship    Branding »»

Tuesday April 13th, 2010 @ 1:21 PM

Filed under: Surface/Unusual

A local piercer does skin divers, and says he prefers them over microdermals as far as healing time and ease goes.

I’m considering getting one or the other, but I haven’t had any luck finding information on skin divers. I’d like to know more before diving into it (har har!). What exactly is the difference between the two?

Some piercers swear by skin divers. However, myself, and most of my piercing colleagues do not. There are several issues with skin divers, the most obvious being the sharp point at the base. Honestly, using nothing but common sense does having a sharp point under your skin sound like a good idea? Obviously, the answer is no.

Also, who is making these skin divers? Are the made out of implant grade metals? Are they finished well? None of the top US companies even make skin divers, that should tell you something right there.

One large concern of mine, is the procedure required to insert them, the practitioner MUST use biopsy punches. Technically, I do not see this as an issue. However, legally it can cause some issues. In several areas dermal anchors are being made illegal because of the “implant procedure” required to insert them. Also, biopsy punches are not legal for use by non-medical practitioners in a lot of places. The microdermal can be inserted with a needle, which makes a lot better case for it being a piercing procedure and not a medical procedure.

Then there is also the issue of the ends not being interchangeable. That may be only a vanity issue, but really if not for vanity most people wouldn’t be considering either procedure.

So why do some piercers prefer them? The most obvious answer would be ease of insertion (as your piercer mentioned). It requires FAR less skill to insert a skin diver, in fact, it’s pretty idiot proof. Another reason and a COMMON motivator is price, these skin divers are CHEAP compared to quality micros and well, this is a business, lots of piercers may put the almighty dollar over the’r clients well being.

As I mentioned previously though, some piercers who I do respect use these and swear by them, so I welcome their comments on the subject. I, however, am convinced on the superiority of quality microdermals over skin divers.

Posted by Sean Philips | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

55 Responses to “microdermals vs. skin divers?”

1. I am not a fan of these I agree with sean and ive actually said the same thing in an early post about them being pretty much idiot proof no reputable piercers that i know personally use these and the people that i know of that do are not the greatest so I would lean more towards a micro and have a reputable piercer do it who does them frequently hope it works out for ya

bb on April 13th, 2010 at 2:45 pm
  2. A great article.

abby on April 13th, 2010 at 7:11 pm
  3. “lots of piercers may put the almighty dollar over the’r clients well being.”

and not all piercers get the final say on what products are used at their shop despite years of arguing with their bosses over it. Often it’s the shop owner who is looking at the bottom line not the piercer. Why don’t we leave shops like this? well because we have to eat and good shops, scratch that, great shops are hard to come by unless you have the money to open your own.

Lynx on April 16th, 2010 at 4:47 pm
  4. Aweomse Article.
    I happily moved away from a shop as these were introduce.. And open up my own place.
    Yeah in the end there not the best idea. Sent alot people towards the local GP to remove them.

I prefer Dermals. Nicer appearance. And interchangable heads.

Divers Are still better then the new “Doctor Piercing- Simple nose piercing Kit….”
    lol

Dion on April 19th, 2010 at 6:38 pm
  5. i’m with lynx, it’s unfortunate but true…

kaitlyn on April 21st, 2010 at 1:00 pm
  6. sean skin divers are dumb and made by companies like painful pleasures or some shit like that. i dont know anyone who does them and ive never seen any healed ones. microdermals>skin divers

MissCherry on April 22nd, 2010 at 12:59 pm
  7. I agree with number 3. It was a hard sell to convince the powers that be at the studio I work at, that we should only carry Anatometal dermal anchors. We have (or had) skin divers at our studio, which were purchased at the 09′ APP convention from one of vendors at the expo. No one has yet to even attempt a skin diver, and all the piercers flat out refuse to preform them. They were purchased because they were cheap, and most bosses see things in terms of dollar signs.

138 on April 22nd, 2010 at 2:41 pm
  8. lynx, i don’t agree with that at ALL. i was in that same type of situation and had the greediest type of boss that saw no need in using high quality jewelry because they had been using it for years. so i saved up money, handed him 1000 bucks out of my own pocket and bought all of the shitty jewelry from him, and told him thats how much it meant to me and at least got him to buy jewelry from blue mountain steel. its fairly cheap for step down external, but still, the jewelry is implant grade steel, cbr’s are annealed, and the jewelry is a lot safer for my clients compared to the shitty metal mafia garbage we had before. granted i’m not using exclusive anatometal or IS, even though i do order things from them often, but as long as i know all of my jewelry is high quality and safe, i’m ok with it.

if you cared about your job and this industry enough, you’d do what it takes to do whats right for your clients. whether its finding a way to get your boss to order you proper jewelry like they should be doing, or getting the hell out of that shop and finding one that will. anything is better than KNOWING what you’re doing is bad, and doing it anyway because “its out of your hands”. that to me is unacceptable. especially because i was in the same situation and found a way out, so i know its possible.

AJ on April 23rd, 2010 at 10:31 am
  9. My opinion- to each their own. I’ve done microdermals, and I have experimented with Skin Divers as well. I figured it couldn’t hurt to try them out on “select” clients :) . We know that these are still somewhat “new” so a lot of information about them is still sort of up in the air. But anyways, I just figured I would throw in the information I’ve learned about them.

For the most part, they are being distributed by Wildcat. A few other companies have followed suit and have begun selling them but as far as I have seen, Wildcat are the only ones who claim to be selling Grade 23 titanium pieces. Also, no it is not necessary to use biopsy punches to insert these either. The ones that I did were inserted using a 12G needle. As far as the ease of the procedure, for myself, they are a breeze to put in. Others might disagree though. The healing seemed easier with Skin Divers, but if they are snagged while healing, they tend to be pulled out quite a bit easier as well. The first one I ever did is now 14 months old and holding steady though. Never a major issue with it, other than catching it on clothing once in a while, but you’ll have that sometimes.

Personally, I can understand both sides of the argument here. What I believe is that more research should be done on Skin Divers, and more information should be known BEFORE offering these to the public. That being said, I say do your research, think about your options long and hard, never rush into anything and just make an informed decision before getting either procedure done.

DeniseAlmighty on April 23rd, 2010 at 6:30 pm
  10. A piercer friend and I were discussing this a year or so ago. I felt the skin divers were a better option, he felt the microdermals were better. I offered up a bit of skin for an experiment and about 6 months ago, he put in one skin diver and one microdermal. It’s the largest skin diver he could get, and the smallest microdermal, which makes them just about the same size, and they’re both titanium. The bead size is about the same, although the microdermal is rounded and the skin diver is flat. They’re positioned symmetrically at the base of my neck, about an inch apart, so the tissue, abuse they receive, etc, is as close to identical as possible.

The insertion for the skin diver went much easier, as did the initial healing. In fact, the skin diver felt fine the next day, barely sensitive even when it was pressed on, while the microdermal took a couple weeks to lose that just-pierced sensitivity.

Since then, the microdermal has been infected twice. It’s cleared up quickly both times. The skin diver has yet to be infected or have any other problems.

So far, in every respect, the skin diver is winning the contest. The contest will continue until at least one rejects or gets ripped out, but at this point, based on actual experimental evidence, I’d say the skin divers are definitely worth looking at.

For piercers out there doing microdermals, find some friends or regulars who are willing to accept a risk and try your own experiment. If it turns out that the easier, less-invasive, less expensive option is also as safe or safer, as durable or more durable, and leaves the same or smaller scar if it does get ripped out, where’s the drawback?

wlfdrgn on April 24th, 2010 at 8:42 am
  11. i as well agree that the divers are just a cheap rip off of the microdermal, which is just a miniature transdermal its self, designed years ago by steve haworth.
    anyone using the diver is obviously lacking proper training, education and common sence.
    look, until we regulate and standardize the industry, create a union to protect ourselves, and construct strict safety criteria, these problems will always occur.
    by the way, any photos ive seen of these in ads, are always blurry and black and white, obviously to cover up how poorly done they are.
    yah, the sharp point didnt make sence to me either..

MIKE GRANT on April 24th, 2010 at 4:18 pm
  12. When I first saw a picture of a skin diver I cringed because of the pointy end! they look really easy to rip out too.

Lizface on April 24th, 2010 at 6:56 pm
  13. I tried Skin Divers on myself when I first heard about them and thought they were dreadful.
    Not only are they uncomfortable if you knock them due the previously mentioned point but if you catch them they just fall out even if they’re “well healed”.

I’ll stick to microdermals thank you.

Mike on April 25th, 2010 at 2:17 pm
  14. Hey! I havn’t done a skin diver but I was @ the recent APP conference & nothing positive was said about them, people who had used them & people who just had a problem w how their made.
    Some you can change the tops but really what base do you grab onto to hold it from twisting w your turns..
    Also its very dangerous to have something pointed inserted into the body, no matter how dull it is, it still isn’t a good idea.

If you are looking for more temporary type body jewelry maybe jsut try a holeless micrdermal base?
    Hope this helps.
    LJJETT

LeahJeanJett on May 10th, 2010 at 1:51 pm
  15. I have a skin diver on my hand (in between my thumb and forefinger) and i’ve had it for a few months now and it still isn’t healing.

When I went to the local piercing shop to tell them what I wanted, this was the only option availble so I had no idea about other choices. I have several other piercings and know that this doesn’t look right.

Has anyone had a successful skin diver that has actually healed??

Helen on May 13th, 2010 at 4:45 am
  16. Alright so Ive read just about every comment on this subject and i have to say. i had 2 divers placed in my forehead about 4 years ago when they were 1st brought to my attentions. to be honest i had my good friend and mentor Joey Castellaneta place them there. 1st day they were done wasn’t too bad. However they never stopped being sensitive… (so ill go on the record and say this is a case by case result wlfdrgn). Now for the last 2 years Ive been doing many micro dermals nonstop. the 1st few i did i lacked the skill that such great body piercers i looked up too had. however with time i got better although never tested them on anyone other than friends and willing loyal clients.
    So saying that, In my professional opinion i refuse to ever do a skin diver on anyone. Knowing the result of them in my skin i will gladly take the loss of customers and money to know my clients are safe.

if you would like to see my track record of successfully placed micro dermals please view my profile and ask me any questions you would like. im happy to help you.

out of a 500 clients ive placed them in now ive had 3 come out. and again… they were the ones i did on well known friends and loyal clients.

BTW… these to this day are still in place!

over 2 years now.

p.s. Ive never had an issue with metal mafia. not all of there products are shit. You just have to know what to buy.

Brian Strife on July 7th, 2010 at 2:31 am
  17. ive tried experimenting with these skin divers myself. they are actually very easy and convenient. i have one next to my anti eyebrow which healed practically the next day. i have one at the far end of my left eyebrow, have not had one problem with it. and had two in my lip, which i took out myself with a razor blade because no, they dont just pop out, they need to be removed. for me, these work amazingly and every diver ive done looks great. no signs of rejection. no signs of infection.

sarah on July 11th, 2010 at 1:48 pm
  18. I have both microdermals and skin divers, the microdermals are defiantly more easily infected than the skin divers but that’s probably because they are more deeply embedded in the skin. the skin divers were also easier to put in and didn’t fall out whereas one of my microdermals had to be put back in after it fell out. they also healed really quickly. the microdermals are defiantly a bit neater looking though, and the skin divers do turn if you fiddle with them. I haven’t really had any problems with the skin divers at all and the point on the base isn’t an issue, you can’t even feel it. I would say that the skin divers are probably more useful for smaller jobs and the microdermals for a more permanent neater look, as the skin divers are a bit tilted. i cant really see the problem with skin divers, or why is has to be skin divers vs microdermals as they’re both good.

Katy on July 12th, 2010 at 9:25 am
  19. I have been in the piercing industry for 3 years. I have done many microdermals and skin divers over the last 2 1/2 years. I have used the dermal punch method on both and have had excellent results. In my experience,the quality of the jewellry is very important. There is alot of poor quality products out there.I believe that good aftercare is also important for successful healing. Skin Divers do tend to come out easier when snagged, unlike Microdermals. Personally I have clients with skin divers still doing well after over a year and microdermals for 2 1/2 years. Depending on the location of the skindiver, I sometimes recommend a steri-strip across it at bedtime. This helps with it being rubbed or snagged when sleeping. Skin divers, I find, keep flatter to the body when microdermals when angry will tend to come up on a angle, then have to be corrected.

Julie on July 25th, 2010 at 2:00 pm
  20. I have used both microdermals and skindivers. The skindivers I use are quality titanium. I have had more success using skindivers in certain areas. I have had trouble with microdermals on the nape and the sternum, and much success using skindivers in the same areas. Also, because of the smaller size. I have always opted to use a skindiver on all three placements on the upper cheeckbone area (just under the eye). My clients have great skindivers and they healed quickly, two of the three have been in for over a year, and the 3rd has been in for a few months…I asked my clients about comfort, esp. when hit accidentally - no reports of pain in these instances. I personally think it is safer to use a piece of jewelry that is all one piece, because of the risk of losing the base under the skin if the top comes unscrewed accidentally. Any time a piercing gone wrong ends up at the doctor’s office, credibility lessens for the whole piercing community! In conclusion, I would have to say that microdermals and skin divers both have a valid place in a proper piercing studio.

Mary Franzenburg on July 26th, 2010 at 5:23 pm
  21. I have just today had a Skin Diver put in my cheek area of my face,sfter reading alot of articles and opinions throughout the internet I am now quite worried of how and if my Diver will stay in!! didnt really want to be left with a scar,I love the piercing itself and it is already not painful etc but am now thinking my piercer didnt tell me anything about them and i didnt realise they are not really going to stay in very well!! :( moral of the story,do alot of research yourself BEFORE!!…on the upside it does look great and is not sore just a few hours after! :) all the ebst Etty x

Etty King on August 10th, 2010 at 3:30 pm
  22. OOOHHHH Brian Strife is up there, commenting away! We’re in the presence of greatness! Did you know he invented the “DERMAL SLIDE” bar? Just came up with a flat surface bar outta nowhere! He certainly didn’t copy Integrity or Anatometal or any of the other companies that have been creating them for years. If he says Metal Mafia isn’t all shit, I’m sold. I always say that if a product is good enough for someone with a trademarked name it’s good enough for my shop.

Cucuy on September 4th, 2010 at 2:27 pm
  23. i do both and explain everything about them both first anchors are better u can inter change them , but the down side is the anchor has to be surgically removed … skin divers can be popped out so i leave that choice to the customer… :)

htown devil on September 10th, 2010 at 12:43 am
  24. all these people reporting that their micros or anchors healed the next day is crazy. im sure both forms of jewelery can be placed under the skin properly, and both can be healed properly. its the artist doing them that defines how well it is done, and its the client who is responsible for aftercare and who generally gets it infected or snagged out.
    the micro is just a simplified version of the transdermal, and whether you use a 10ga needle or 2mm biopsy punch, its up to each individual piercer to determine what works best for them and their techniques. i do prefer the punch, and i do prefer the lucid design microdermal from microdermals.com, they seem to heal appropriately, and cant be snagged out as easily as other designs. the whole ‘ needs to be surgically removed ‘ issue bugs me, THEY CAN BE POPPED OUT if done properly, and in some cases only the tip of a needle needs to be used to dissect the tissue that has formed through the holes.
    im sure the debate will continue for years, as most of these issues are just fans of certain jewelry designers who wana promote their products, or simply defend their personal opinions. same can be said for internal and external jewelry, whos to say one is truly better than the other, when there are so many fabricators, but some of whom make fantastic products in both forms, and both forms heal just the same as long as its titanium!
    on a personal note, i have notice that most photos of the anchors ive seen in ads, were black and grey, and not close ups ! it seems with careful examination, they dont look so well healed either.
    all these designers claiming their product is superior to the other is so funny, capitalism over quality control i guess.

mike grant on October 20th, 2010 at 4:55 pm
  25. I prefer Micro Dermals over Skin divers, they are alot more interchangeable (And spikes coming outa anywhere looks badass). They are also alot more secure, as the body heals through the holes in the base plate, but they still need lots of care. I personaly think the added price is worth it, you might have to get the skin divers done multiple times, and causing the Micro Dermals being a cheaper option.

PeriodVampire on November 23rd, 2010 at 6:28 pm
  26. *WLFDRGN* I think your post is a load of chicken poop, I have had alot of piercings, so trust me when I say some piercings will heal reletively quick with no care (cleaning it) while others will get infected if no care is taken. So my advise is clean your newly pierced piercing/implant and infection will be reduced by 90% . which means *DERMALS ARE BETTER AND DIVERS ARE CHEDDAR*

MR. MYSTERIOUS on December 24th, 2010 at 3:46 am
  27. Since when do MDA’s have to be removed surgically? Htown devil..I command you to go back to the drawing board and re apprentice. MDA’s a lot of times can be removed with out cutting if it’s the newer school shorter foots just by “rocking” the anchor. Sometimes there’s the case of having to cut but it doesn’t take more then a small incision over the small foot to remove it. KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT BEFORE YOU SPEAK! Skin Divers are nothing more then a cheap shot into the industry to allow inexperienced body piercers the ability to jump into the Micro Dermal game.

Jonny Needle on January 9th, 2011 at 9:27 pm
  28. I have two skin divers in my face where an anti-eyebrow would go. I got them done at the end of August and I’ve had absolutely no problems with them. They healed quickly and havn’t gotten infected. The worst thing that ever happened was being elbowed straight in the face and they were pushed further into my skin and were sensitive for about a week. I also had a box at work fall onto my face and snag my divers. Yet again, they were just sore for a little bit. I’ve had friends with the anchors and they’ve had problems with them as far as infections go. Also the scar left behind by a diver is less noticeable and it’s easier to take out because there’s no “foot” under the skin.

Bri on January 16th, 2011 at 3:09 pm
  29. why is it that people seem to think stating “my friends anchor did fine”, “my skin diver is great” can be sited as empirical evidence of the success or failure of either skin divers or anchors, like any piercing.

nichole on February 6th, 2011 at 4:52 pm
  30. i have a dermal and i love it. the procedure was easy and fast and it has healed beautifully. i did a lot of research on dermals before i got them but have never even heard of skin divers before.

mercedes on February 19th, 2011 at 2:13 pm
  31. I have 2 skin divers on my nape and have had them for around 2 years. They were quick and easy to put in an healed just as fast as any of my other piercings without any issues. Personally I’m really happy with them!

Jess on March 1st, 2011 at 7:29 am
  32. As a general rule, don’t skimp when it comes to price, piercer of professionalism. You should find a piercer that is affiliated with/certified by the APP (www.safepiercing.org). Second opinions are great, but if a piercer makes you question yourself, feel inferior or attempts to persuade you that just because he/she has some references of a previous job well done doesn’t mean they’re the right piercer for you. On a personal note, I get my piercings done at the only APP certified/affiliated shop in my area. Two years ago I had six dermals placed below my collar bone by biopsy punch method (about $300). Although the staff were incredibly knowledgable and extremely professional, they had no knowledge that my skin would later (1.5 yrs) reject them. Rejection (i’ve had surface bars reject) was only one part of the commitment that I had to come to terms with before I walked in and signed the consent forms. I urge anyone who is looking for a new piercing to equally consider the insertion prosess along with the removal process, as sometimes removal can be worse than insertion. All in all, it’s important to take all aspects into account when embarking on a project to enhance/alter your body.

michellem on May 30th, 2011 at 11:21 pm
  33. I have personally had micros … all of which have been extreamly fussy and had gotten infected alot. It wasn’t that i was not cleaning them, i had my cheeks done at the same time and they were fine!! I just recently got three skin divers put above my right eyebrow three days ago. They have heeled so fast, and actually have not been painful at all! My vertical labret hurt more than all three and still is tender in comparison!

I personally prefer the skin divers over the micros! And the piercer who did them was a very reputable piercer!!

I have had my micros ripped out and a skin diver on my wrist and the scar size and pain from them was a huge difference i like skin divers better!!

Naomi on June 7th, 2011 at 4:33 pm
  34. i am a piercer who does skin divers and have had two done by different people. the first diver i had was large i think 4mm, it never healed, was always painful and grew out with a large scar left behind. the second i had was a 3mm disk, it healed in a matter of days, i dont have to cover it wen i sleep, it never bleeds and doesnt hurt when knocked. when done properly, skin divers can look amazing and to be honest has been the easiest piercing i have had done to look after. I have had no issues when using 3mm divers, but wouldnt recommend 4mm or bigger. I much prefer divers to dermals!

keli on June 8th, 2011 at 7:23 am
  35. Ive now got 5 skin divers one is the beauty star skin diver on my cheekbone, 3 in the skin above my right collar bone and one just behind my right ankle bone,
    this have all been done with titanium divers with a flat not spiked base and with a dermal or biopsy punch, all were very very easy to have , inface were put in place within 5 seconds, healed fantastically infact better than most of my other piercings and look amazing, Im so so pleased with them and would highly recommend them to anyone , however I would advise people to ensure their piercer has done this before, your piercer should check they can “pinch” the area of skin you require the diver to go into , they also need to roll the skin gently between their fingers to separate flesh and skin, amd you will have a beautiful modification that looks and feels like part of you :-0 xc

Allison Neal on June 23rd, 2011 at 7:57 am
  36. I’ve had 2 skin divers in my hip for months now. They healed up in about a week. I’ve had no problems with them, no pain from the “pointy end”. Caught one of them with my nails many times and its never fallen out or come close to coming out the skin..

Louise on July 4th, 2011 at 10:48 am
  37. I have micro in my lower arm & I have had no problems with them at all! I have 3 small children so guess I’d have a high risk of having them ripped out yet they have stood up to a fair amount of abuse! I have every faith in my piercer & trust her totally! Im not sure if I’d have a skin diver or not I just can’t see how it would stay in & can imagine it would be fairly uncomfortable with the point under the skin!

JessIce-Rose on July 8th, 2011 at 8:54 am
  38. The skin divers that I have done do not have sharp points at the base.! And I have had no problem with my skin divers EVER!

Ms. Moo (AUS) on August 18th, 2011 at 2:12 am
  39. to #10. I was reading on your comparison project, but it may be possible that the anchor’s application wasn’t proper. I have had one done for almost 6 months with absolutely no problems. was a little sore the 2nd day and nothing after that. No redness, swelling or any other irritation. I have also implanted these in many others that are frequent and have had absolutely no issues with any. I have seen them applied wrong and have issues since day one. This is why skin divers are for rookies and intermediate piercers, and anchors are for seasoned professionals. I have never in my 10 years of piercing, or will never use skin divers, and would never get pierced by anyone that swears by them.

RJ Sidur on November 8th, 2011 at 6:52 pm
  40. Dermal punches are illegal in NJ so I use 12g needles. It’s an easy fast process when you are a professional and know what you’re doing. I use divers and dermals depending on the request. In my opinion DIVERS are safer even with the NOT SHARP point the the bottom. When a dermal gets snagged with a lot of pressure on something it starts to slowly grow out of your skin and looks nasty till it reaches the surface, as for the diver it just pops out, at that moment you can clean your piercing and put a small bandaid over it till you get to a shop nearby. Your piercer does not need to cut or pierce you again to put a new jewelry on for at least 2days without damaging healing tissue, this is my opinion based on my experiences at my shop and while traveling, hope whoever reads this finds it useful and can make the right choice for themselves.
    -Cisco Delgatto
    TattoosAre4ever.com

Ciscosink on November 13th, 2011 at 2:01 pm
  41. i have had many microdermals in various places. none have lasted more than 3 monthes before they rejected.

i tried skin divers just to experiment to see how long it would last in comparrison and 2 years later they are still there. no rejection, i get the occasional hissy fit off them but nothing major.

for me, skin divers over micro’s.

gina on December 2nd, 2011 at 6:25 pm
  42. I had a skin diver on my face and it fell out multiple times within the first 2 months before finally being lost for good. my sister also had 2 in her face which also were lost within a few months. she also had a dermal implant in her wrist which lasted a few months longer but still got caught and was ripped out. she is now on her 2nd dermal, 3 weeks in, and it is still there….. i would love another piercing where my skin diver fell out but want to find something more long lasting, and not falling out everytime a top scraped it.

Fay on February 3rd, 2012 at 7:57 am
  43. Hello my name is Jenn, I pierce at a highly reputable shop in MD. I personally prefer to do (and have done) Skin Divers over Micro-Dermals. I have had 10 Dermals and 4 Divers….i have removed all 10 Dermals but kept 3 of my Divers. The Diver process obviously has pros and cons as any piercing procedure but I find them to be way more comfortable, heal much cleaner and quicker, virtually no scarring left behind (or minimal compared to Dermals), cons being that they do have the issue with easily being ripped out if proper precautions are not taken, the rejection rate can be high if the piercee does not follow aftercare.
    Overall, I will say there are pros and cons of all modifications…choose which work best for you =)

Jenn on April 17th, 2012 at 4:10 pm
  44. i’ve been a professional body piercer for four years. I wouold have always taken the side of the micro dermals and was deadset againest using skin divers, because of reasons stated. Over a year ago to prove a point to my boss (who wanted to use only skindivers) that skindivers were no good. so i put two micros in my arm and two skindivers in the other. i lost….i still have the skin divers in and have had no problems at all with them…the micros are gone the first one went four mths after being done the second just a week short of 6mths. yup i ate humble pie.

michelle on April 27th, 2012 at 12:36 pm
  45. ive had 5 micros, 2 ripped out and 1 reject, i previously put in mu owun diver with a biop, super easy, all sterile and perfectly flat against skin, i think ive done a better job thatn actual pierciers that did my dermals…….. says alot, rivet looks awesome, top wrist, covered while sleeping. but no tilting or redness or pain like the dermals……….

rainefire on May 27th, 2012 at 3:23 pm
  46. I literally just got my first skin diver yesterday and so far so good. My piercer has done dozens of skin divers and she swore that she has never had a problem with divers, but micro dermals are constantly getting ripped out and/or infected. So far my diver (located in the middle of my chest) has not caused any problems and doesnt even hurt anymore. The procedure was easy and the healing is awesome. I would definitly reccomend a diver but everyone should always research thier piercer before they go to make sure they are reputable. Good luck to everyone out there :)

Emily on July 21st, 2012 at 2:55 pm
  47. Skin divers are great, they heal fantanstic, leave little to no scaring and are easy to take out. After care for a skin diver should consist of it being covered with a folded up bandage and another over top giving it downward force to keep it flush and in place while your body does it’s part, I call it compression; for at least 5 days it should be done( think of how long it takes to heal a simple cut)Cleaned only if matter is present, if not, leave it alone. Once the proper compression has been performed, the piercing is actually very durable. I have had clients rip it out, put it back in ( clean hands, jewelry) compress for 24 hours, and back to new again. I have done hundreds of these piecings with clients so happy they come back and get more and more and more!! Word of mouth on this piercing is insane, I order them by the hundreds now.

Been piercing commercially since 1997.

2nd member of the APP in Canada.

Call me if you have questions 1-877-858-7363

Craig Landon

Craig Landon on September 1st, 2012 at 7:08 pm
  48. I am a piercing artist myself and I find more people prefer skin divers to microdermals due to the quick insertion, faster healing time and less invasive size and shape. People are always asking about future removal because, lets be honest, some people grow out of body modification. The diver is much less of a pain to remove and scars FAR less. There are divers made now with the option on changeable tops for a wider range of aesthetic preferences and when we purchase jewelry we ALWAYS have the option of knowing the material used to make the pieces. IF YOU BUY SHIT THAT’S WHAT YOU GET. The same could be said with either the diver or the anchor. The prices are virtually identical if you buy the switchable-top variety and the same metal quality. Most people just swear by anchor because they are gore-fiends and think that every piercing should be “hardcore,” and not necessarily for their customers safety or comfort. Divers may be “fool-proof” but is that not a great thing considering how many morons there are out there licensed by their company and not individually, with no real knowledge on anatomy or safe practice. I understood that from almost every post, so I say why go for the more dangerous option? As for the person on the pointy end of the needle (or biopsy-punch), how much do you really know and trust the person on the other side?

Danni on September 26th, 2012 at 1:00 pm
  49. I think its a matter of opinion and personal preferance. Both have pros and cons. Everyones body reacts differently so its about finding what suits you. I personally like divers and have not had any trouble with mine bt people say the same for micros so….. :/

ash on November 4th, 2012 at 11:40 am
  50. I’ve had 8 skin divers and 4 microdermals (all done myself). I never had any issues with the skin divers. I had 6 in my left arm and 2 on my chest. The “pointed” edge isn’t exactly pointed. It’s quite dull really. I’ve knocked them around so many times with different things it’s ridiculous, and they’re never fussed. I’ve had 2 of them pop out, but with a quick cleaning, I popped them back in within a few minutes.

The microdermals I had were sturdy when they finally healed. I had one on my left ring finger 2 in my left arm and another in my chest. I tore out the two in my left arm and it took some flesh with it. When I picked them up, there were were literally chunks of flesh in the holes. I never got them replaced. The one I had in my chest never rejected or caused me any trouble. The one I had in my finger never got caught on anything, and healed really well.

I guess it really depends doesn’t it?

Sonny J. on November 25th, 2012 at 4:10 am
  51. I have 3 dermals and I’ve had 5 skin divers, 3 of my dermals are still beautiful and I’ve never had any issue with any of them , only 2 of my skin divers remain,
    My first issue with a skin diver is that I have found that it doesn’t lay as flush againsed the skin as a dermal, it always looks as tho it’s sticking out a little, the gems aren’t as flat or round or sparkley as a dermal anchor / micro dermal is, and they aren’t changeable which is rubbish because 2 or my skin divers completely lost their sparkle and just looked horrible,t
    They seem to get caught on everything , are always red and angry looking, they become quite sore, all of a sudden you can see the base through your skin then you literally just have to rip them out, and let them heal which leave a little scar,
    I would personally reccomended a dermal because they last , they are nicer to look at, they don’t get caught any where as near as much, and they feel healthier if that makes sense, skin divers are a pain in the arse- well a pain where ever you choose to get them,

Kel on January 28th, 2013 at 6:00 pm
  52. I’m not certain where you’re getting your info, however great topic. I needs to spend some time studying much more or understanding more. Thanks for magnificent info I used to be looking for this info for my mission.

tolsom|tolsom skin-care on February 20th, 2013 at 7:55 pm
  53. I have a skin diver on either side of my hips, these have been in for more than 4 years! I have never had a problem with them and highly recommend them over dermals. Skin divers in my experience leave no or little scaring whereas dermals do as they have to be cut out. I love my skin divers, I paid £10 for each of mine. Bargain!

Molly on June 3rd, 2013 at 4:06 am
  54. I’ve used both skin divers and microdermal anchors over the past couple of years, experimenting with different tops and bases. How they heal has a lot to do with the piercer, the client, and the location.

Skin divers with tops larger than 4mm do not work because they’re so hard to clean and the base is so small. In general they don’t do very well in high traffic areas like hands or necks, but I’ve seen them last several years on the face, chest, and lower back. I like using skin divers for lower backs because there’s no risk of the tops falling off - a friend who was not my client left her lower back anchors topless (ignoring both her piercer and myself) and within a very short period of time the bases had gone so far into her she had to go to a specialized dermatologist! I’ve also had clients whose bodies rejected anchors immediately, but held skin divers for years. If the client is concerned about scarring, I’ll recommend skin divers because they leave next to nothing behind.

In general I prefer not to do them, partly because the first couple of weeks are so delicate. Microdermal anchors look better, sit better, tend to stay longer, plus they’re more fun to do. There’s always exceptions to the rule though.

Jiynx on June 30th, 2013 at 6:05 pm
  55. Just for the record, I have a skin diver and love it. It healed just fine like any other piercing as long as its taken care of. I haven’t had any problems with it and it came more recommended than a sub dermal based on the fact that that is a surgical procedure and that you need to have it surgically removed again. 2 of the piercers I have seen (for different piercings) had more than one skin diver and had no problems.

Miranda on July 22nd, 2013 at 12:23 pm