Girlfriend+piercings..

«« cheek problem    skin removal »»

Monday December 7th, 2009 @ 2:26 PM

Filed under: Lip/Cheek

My girlfriends got snakebites, and wants her angelbites done, she did her snakebites but she wants me to help her with her angelbites, i know someones goina tell me to go have someone professionally do it, but thats not an option considering that her parents wont let her have facial piercings(she hides her snakebites somehow), im not new to seeing people do piercings/getting pierced, im not an idiot, i just wanted to know if anyone had any tips on how i should do this.. and yes i am going to use a hollow needle.

AskBME is not a ‘how to..’ guide! I suggest you respect the wishes of your girlfriends parents and encourage her to wait until she is old enough to legally consent to having her piercings done in a sanitary environment by a respected professional piercer. So yeah.. you were right, someone will advise you to encourage her to go get them professionally done.

Posted by Tiff Badhairdo | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

33 Responses to “Girlfriend+piercings..”

1. *shakes head at the use of the words Angelbites and Snakebites*

Mish Impossible on December 8th, 2009 at 10:31 am
  2. Someone argued with me before when I pointed out that asking for advice on how to DIY pierce on Ask BME is like taking your computer to a workshop and asking them to teach you for free how to fix it. They said it was a forum and it’s fine to ask “how to” questions on a forum. It’s not a forum or bulletin board, it’s an advice column and AFAIK most of the columnists are body modification professionals so they make their livings off it…have some respect for them guys.

Xenobiologista on December 8th, 2009 at 11:13 am
  3. what is it with teenagers and all these asinine piercing names? angelbites? seriously?

Katie on December 9th, 2009 at 12:00 pm
  4. @katie I had to look up what they where, as I hadn’t heard of them before.

cheshire on December 12th, 2009 at 9:38 am
  5. xenobiologista: that’s like the time i had someone come into the tattoo/piercing shop i work at and ask if i would sell them piercing needles…

kaitlyngrace on December 12th, 2009 at 1:45 pm
  6. I completely agree with Katie.
    I’m 18 thus making me one of those asshole teenagers,but i had to google what angelbites were.

Rachel on December 17th, 2009 at 1:12 pm
  7. What the hell is an angelbite?

Sade on December 19th, 2009 at 10:24 pm
  8. An angelbite are 2 upper lip piercings on both sides (omg I’m one of those teens! oO)

DuncanD on January 8th, 2010 at 7:53 pm
  9. I have worked in shops for almost 10 years, and the amount of people that come in asking for piercing needles, “gauging needles”, tattoo ink, and other professional supplies is absurd. It’s becoming a huge problem in my area and it’s leading to bad press in the papers and on the news. And guess what. It’s not the people that get that bad rep. It’s us piercers and tattoo artists, the ones struggling to make a living. It’s truly disheartening that we have to take the blame because a few folks and kids think that this is such an easy job they can do it themselves with little to no know-how. Just today I had a young girl come in with MARBLES implanted under her skin that were already migrating out. The catch. She did it HERSELF with a razor blade a week ago. I truly thought I had seen it all. She wanted them removed and then wanted me to put microdermals over the wounds to cover the scars that were bound to form. I was simply left speechless. Body modification is not a game, and I feel like far too many people are taking it into their own hands. Just because you buy a sterile needle online doesn’t mean you are a body piercer.

FujiyamaMama on January 11th, 2010 at 8:57 pm
  10. the marble story…. WOW. what did you say? did she get them removed? didi u smack her? did you take them out? what the fuck kids are so dumb.

braydendtf on February 8th, 2010 at 1:51 pm
  11. I work in a body jewelery store, and I get those questions all the time. one time a guy came in and asked if we sold tattoo guns and ink, and I told him that we didnt and it was illegal to sell them you have to licensed and all that. he he seriously says ‘Well thats really inconvienent for those of us who want to tattoo at home.’

Rhi on May 30th, 2010 at 3:03 am
  12. @Rhi & @FujiyamaMama I hate people. Seriously? MARBLES???

And I seriously almost caused a scene the other day; I was in the mall && I noticed that Eternal Body Jewelry (a body jewelry kiosk) is selling hollow needles for $5 a needle with no ID required. Are they stupid?????
    Any scene kid who wants snakebites (yes I’m one of those people who knows what that means) is going to spend five bucks to get some of his own. ughhh

aliunholy on July 20th, 2010 at 12:29 pm
  13. *part of brain explodes*
    1. Hipster Fad piercing names are getting out of control.
    2. Professionals study their entire careers, not just 15 minutes on google.
    3. @ OP, Please for the love of fuck sake do not put your girlfriend at risk. Seriously, how is she planning to hide two brand new, undoubtedly red and swollen (read: amateur piercing) from the parents?
    4. MOST IMPORTANT; I don’t know what the laws are in your area but here in Michigan, it is AGAINST THE LAW to pierce or tattoo ANYONE, legal adult or otherwise, if you are not operating in a liscenced body art facility. Did you ever stop to think that if your sweet little girlfriend’s parents decided to get pissed about the new holes, they can sue you? did you know that your city can press civil and liability charges against you? How about assault or endangerment of a minor? Does fines and posssible jailtime and at the very least probation sound good to you? Did you think about any of this?
    Now I realize you’re probably sitting back thinking that all of us professionals are real dicks. Maybe you’re right. The truth is, any professional out there has you and your girlfriends best interests in mind, so recognize and show due respect.
    /rant.

John Osborne on August 11th, 2010 at 5:40 pm
  14. I understand that doing body mods by yourself is stupid. Piercing yourself without knowing what you’re doing is also stupid. But I fear that Piercing, Tattooing and Body Mod community is becoming a little uptight about things. I am TATTOO ARTIST, Fear my TATTOO LICENCE. I don’t mean to be rude, but waaay before anyone of us were alive. Unless you’re a vampire, and if so credit where credit is due (Joke BTW) but people have been tattoo, piercing and doing body mods for thousands and thousands of years. Some of them were experienced and some were not. Every body mod had to have someone try it first. But this does not mean I Condon what some people are doing. But instead of shunning them and making them feel like lepers and driving them to be scared of asking questions. perhaps we should be looking trying educate them at least so that if they are going to do, which even if you slap them, call them stupid and take them home to their parents. They are probably going to do it anyway. Would it not be better that at least they have some knowledge on what they’re doing rather than none. I think Demonising this sort thing is more do with Commercial aspect of things than the art and love it.

Kitten on September 23rd, 2010 at 4:50 pm
  15. @Kitten. Yes, it would be good if they had information on how to do the piercing. No, professionals should not give it to them over a fucking BLOG. If you want to learn how to do piercings, get an apprenticeship, or go professional. That’s it. It’s the same thing as me saying, “Ok, I’ve had this tumor for a few years now. I’m gonna call a doctor and see how I can go about the surgery to fix it!” That is such a great idea! Please, ask professionals on how to do the piercings, or get over it and realize that it may (probably absolutely) get really messed up if you do it yourself. Those are your two options. The people hundreds of years ago knew this fact, why can’t everyone else? Please think about what you are typing before you type it.
    I’ve only been piercing for four years, but PLEASE don’t do piercings yourself. I have had to remove too many piercings from beautiful people knowing that it will leave a horrible scar the rest of their lives. Just be patient and wait. Life is too short to ruin your body over a shiny thing on your face

I am Me on October 23rd, 2010 at 8:17 pm
  16. Okay, firstly, I didn’t even know there were other names for snake bites or angel bites?? I thought that’s just what it was…
    Anyway I did my own snake bites and munroe with a safety pin infront of a handheld mirror… it didn’t hurt at all and it didn’t go septic (I’ve had all three for over a year now)
    PLUS I get how your girlfriend feels.. I have 24 piercings and I have to hide all of them from my parents..
    The reason I did these 3 piercings myself is because I was underage and I really REALLy wanted them but i knew my mum would never sign..
    My point is, if you want it. Do it. Who gives a fuck what anyone thinks?? Your body, your choice…

Genny on November 5th, 2010 at 8:16 am
  17. I thought “snakebite,” was a mixed drink, like a black & tan.

Nobody on December 13th, 2010 at 5:21 am
  18. Wow, what a lot bad karma.

Body mods are about individual freedom. I can understand the professionals desire to protect safety and their business, but i cant understand why some of you seem to be so righteous about it. Yes tatooing and piercing are skills to be learnt, yes there is an obvious essential safety and health dimension to the role, but no its not the same as tumor removal surgery.

Yes there will be risks when an 18 (or 16) year old pierces him or herself, but i bet that the risks are lower than when the same 18 or 16 year old drives around in their first car, showing off.

If someone is stupid enough to attempt a difficult piercing (anything other than ear lobes?) then let them assume the consequence, but at least dont reject them when they seek your advice.

Relax guys and girls.

james on January 5th, 2011 at 9:06 am
  19. ??? Piercings are for every one, regardless of what they call them. If its a snakebite and they want a “snakebite”…f*cking fine, get one. Not every one is so techy with the names of specific piercings and they shouldnt have to be. Dont turn body piercing into the f*cking chess club. Its for everybody.
    Oh yeah, and I say dont do it. Waiting is worth it.

A_fabian on January 8th, 2011 at 9:05 am
  20. When anyone talks about piercing themselves, I just remember how my exboyfriend pierced his own nipple. It got infected. He grew a boob. I repeat. HE. GREW. A. BOOB. Eventually he had to get surgery on it (He couldn’t find a decent bra lol). Now he owes thousands of dollars because he didn’t have insurance. Gives me great pleasure to think about now that we aren’t together anymore :D :D :D

Jennie on February 26th, 2011 at 7:36 pm
  21. John Osborne has made some very valid legal points regarding the DYI piercing epidemic. There are also many valid points and views in most of the posts. This industry is full of all types of shops, good clean ones, bad shady ones, and all that falls in between. Some piercers speak in more technical terms and others more lax. I know I wouldn’t go to the dentist to fix my broken leg…but if you think you know what your doing then go ahead. We’ll see you soon to assess the damage, or correct the mistake. Lord knows your going to do it no matter what we tell you. And one day when you are older and wiser (like your girl friends parents) you may understand why the “professionals” on here feel insulted and leave the comments we do. Not only do we have to correct piercings done improperly by people who claim to be professionals and lie about their experience, but we have to sound like broken records to the DYIers. A real professional follows the laws and rules put their for your safety, and their time and knowledge is worth what they charge. If your parents are not willing to sign when it’s permitted then you have to wait until your 18, GTF over it.

Rhiannon on March 23rd, 2011 at 3:30 pm
  22. Im only 16 & have 3 piercings,but even I Can see what your doing is stupid. Who the heck putas theyre gf at risk like that??? & Im not completly agreeing with the pros either,because if its one thing I freakin hate is when adults complain about teenagers and how much of a idiot were being;but you forget, you may complain about out generation but you forgot who raised us :P

Layla on May 3rd, 2011 at 11:35 pm
  23. DIY piercings just aren’t a good idea man… I know you can minimise some risks by buying sterile needles and wearing gloves, etc, but you’re still not free and clear. There is a lot to know about proper pathogen control, anatomy and technique that you probably don’t even realise exists for you to not know about. I’m sure the huge majority of DIY piercings turned out relatively fine, maybe a bit wonky, bit of scarring, but otherwise mostly ok. But how easily could it not have been ok? Do you know exactly what quality your jewelery is? How about the placement in terms of what is anatomically right for the person you’re piercing? Is everything actually, totally sterile? Probably not, no. Honestly it’s never such a long wait until you can legally go and get piercings without parental consent, though it may seem like it now. You don’t wanna be the guy that disfigured his poor girlfriends’ face, do you? Or the guy whose girlfriends’ parents sued him for piercing their daughter? I know that a lot (well, in my city at least) of the pro-piercers can act a bit ‘more hardcore than thou’ or ‘more pierce-y than though’ when you approach them, and that can be pretty uncomfortable. Even sometimes when you walk into a studio and you have lots of piercings and know exactly what you’re talking about and you’re just inquiring about a price or something, they can be very disdainful and patronising and dismissive, like you need to prove yourself to them. But it’s only because they’re sick of having fix up some dumb kids’ mistake. They’ve probably had to turn away 20 scene kids lying about their age that week and had to remove another god knows how many dodgy bathroom jobs. It’s gotta be annoying. Watching a tutorial on Youtube doesn’t make you qualified at all. It’s the same with most professions, trust me, a bartender will laugh at you if you think you could just hop into their job at a busy cocktail bar because you seen people make a martini before. A hairdresser won’t look at your homejob mirror haircut with admiration and a musician isn’t going to respect your musical prowess because you went to a concert, or can play Smoke on the Water.

Me on August 18th, 2011 at 3:29 pm
  24. I’m very glad that my parents let me get my septum piercing a month after my 16th birthday. However, if they chose not to give me permission, I wouldn’t have done it. DIY piercings are just not worth it, for multiple reasons, including increased risk of infection and improper placement. If your girlfriend really wants to get these upper-labret piercings, then she should either talk to her parents about body modifications and come clean about her previous DIYs to try and gain her parents respect when it comes to mods, or wait until she’s 18.

Sara on August 27th, 2011 at 5:57 am
  25. i hate these kidy piercings all the little faggots listening to bullet for my valentine and hating parents like it was actual poverty in the hills

CUNTLUGS on September 16th, 2011 at 10:38 am
  26. It seems everyone has made it a well known fact this is ” wrong “. Just Google search how to do it, Figure out the best thing and go for it. The one piercing which is very dangerous and should be done by a professional due to very large veins is the tongue. Anyways, just sanitize everything, let the needle sit in alcohol for at least 20 minutes before using it, be sure to clean all around the area which will be pierced with some small alcohol pads to disinfect the area making sure nothing will get in it. USE GLOVES. make sure to do it in a very clean environment. also, to follow along, make sure to put the two barbells that will be going in her lips are soaked along with the needle for 20 minutes, but just keep them in there until you pull them out to place inside the holes. Keep it clean after wards, make sure she constantly cleans them and puts rubbing alcohol on them at least 2-3 times a day. To make sure of no infections.

Heysalutbonjour on November 7th, 2011 at 12:09 am
  27. i don’t understand how she successfully hides them from her parents. she could wear retainers or small studs, but at some point her parents should notice. considering they don’t approve of facial piercings… seems a bit odd.

choice on November 21st, 2011 at 5:40 pm
  28. haha, wow. This is amusing. I’m no piercing professional, but as a medic I can say that I’ve deal with my fair share of infections and sticking needles into people. If you want to do you’re own piercing, then by all means. You had best be willing to live with the consequences though. But please, for the love of god, use sterile equipment, clean the site and wear gloves. If you screw up and pierce it wrong you’ll have a scar for sure, but that will be about the worst of it (unless you’re dumb enough to try to use a dermal punch on the corpus cavernosum or something obscene like that; if you do, I hope the Darwin Awards have a new candidate). However, I’m pretty sure you will not be happy if you end up with staph, MRSA, VRE, some other flesh eating bacteria or worse. And no, taking a lighter to safety pin is not considered to be a proper sterilization procedure. But if you are going to use a safety pin to tear a hole through your skin, make sure to do it while the pin is still red hot from “sterilization”; it will cauterize the wound and prevent bleeding. (Disclaimer: on account that people are stupid and sarcasm doesn’t translate to text very well, DO NOT STICK A SAFETY PIN, RED HOT OR OTHERWISE, INTO ANY PART OF YOUR BODY!!! BAD THINGS WILL OCCUR!!!!)

P.S. If you are too impatient to wait until a professional can do your piercing then you are not mature enough to make the decision to get a piercing in the first place. As for the original poster, you’re her boyfriend for fuck’s sake, part of having that title is to look out for your girlfriend and call her on her shit when she’s about to do something stupid. I realize you will still want to get your dick sucked, but trust me, either she will respect you more for looking out for her best interests, or she will dump you…either way you’ll end up in better situation that doing it for her and having her parents find out or something like that. Basically, have moral courage and do the right thing.

SamL416 on January 1st, 2012 at 3:52 pm
  29. Honestly…it’s just better when you wait. It’s much more satisfying to be able to say “I am an adult and I can do what I want” than it is to say “I am a rebellious teenager like every one else I know”. Personal opinion.

Dangerbitch on February 20th, 2012 at 2:49 pm
  30. I’ll post twice in three years.

I thought angel-bites are like snake-bites, only with white wine and champagne?

Nobody on June 1st, 2012 at 4:56 am
  31. I am pro-DIY piercings, There are many reasons why one would decide not to go to a shop, however the main point of this is DIY stands for Do It Yourself not Do IT ON Your Girlfriend. I do my own piercings and even the ones I have messed up on I feel have learned from that experience and grown as a person. I currently have 27 piercings, including nipple, genital and surface piercings and each and every one was an experience for me. I am an adult and I know the risks involved. If an educated well informed ADULT decides to do their own piercings I do not feel like they should be shunned. There is too much stigma on BME against DIY piercings and most of it(understandably) is because of people like this. However I do not feel that DIY piercings should instantly be categorized as “bad”.

Smutnbondage on June 9th, 2012 at 11:08 pm
  32. Smutnbondage, i’m looking at this purely unbiased but what would be your reasoning for not wanting to go to a shop?

Sarah on July 15th, 2012 at 2:52 pm
  33. Try using a sharp nail and a hammer with a stopper behind her lip. Remember to use a really thick stopper because you need to hit the nail really hard so it goes in quicker and doesn’t hurt as much.

CalmLlama on September 5th, 2012 at 10:08 pm