Dried Blood Removal

«« skin removal    PA Piercing »»

Monday November 16th, 2009 @ 2:22 PM

Filed under: Uncategorized

This may come across as a bit of a strange question, but I got my ears scalpalled yesterday. The procedure itself went well and the healing has gone well so far (as well as a day’s worth of healing can go anyway), but I do have one minor problem. During the procedure there was, as expected, some bleeding. Unfortunately some of the blood ended up inside my left ear canal making it difficult to hear out of that ear. Its comparable to when you get water stuck in your ear. I have been trying to remove it, mainly through use of water and a cutip but I can’t seem to get the dried blood out of there and its starting to become REALLY annoying. Any advice on how to remove the dried blood from the inside of my ear would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You’ve got to be very careful about allowing blood to stay in your ear canal as it can cause a pretty nasty inner-ear infection. Which is incredibly painful.

If you cannot pull it out with a Q-tip, I would try standing in the shower and focussing the shower-head spray to the ear and see if the blood could be irrigated out that way.

Posted by Lexci Million | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

-3 / 31 votes Vote This Post DownVote This Post Up

13 Responses to “Dried Blood Removal”

1. you could also use a bobby pin . most doctors will recommend you use one of those to clean your ears with instead of q-tips . with a bobby pin you can hook and drag , whereas with a q-tip its more of a push and smear . you do however have to be aware that you are shoving a metal piece inside your ear which could puncture your eardrum should you fall , run into something hard or be ran into hard . so my advice is to only use one in a room that can be locked to minimize the risk of other people running into you .

ryan on November 16th, 2009 at 6:22 pm
  2. Irrigation syringes would work really well I would think - probably submerge the canal to soften up the bloody shmutz and suck it out with the syringe.

ZombieJihad on November 16th, 2009 at 10:11 pm
  3. If you know anyone in the medical or bioscience fields, you can try using heparin solution to rinse. The most convenient are the 10ml plastic amps ready mixed with sterile water; it’s is a powerful anticoagulant so will help break up the blood VERY well. If you see a doctor at any point I’m sure they’d gladly throw you a vial or two.

If all else fails, a doctor can clean out the contents of your ear with a syringe, warm water, and a cute little kidney dish, in the same way they would for ear wax - possibly even using a little heparin to make things smoother.

redeye on November 19th, 2009 at 9:56 pm
  4. Typically, cerumen impaction is removed using a 50/50 mix of OTC 3% hydrogen peroxide and warm water. This should work for blood, too, as the peroxide will help break up the dried, clotted blood. The procedure is:
    1) Lay on your side with the affected ear up
    2) Put a few drops of the peroxide/water mixture in the ear canal and let it absorb for a few minutes
    3) Use a syringe to copiously irrigate the ear canal with the peroxide/water mixture
    It may take several rounds of irrigation with hundreds of mls of peroxide to completely evacuate the ear canal.

Dr S on November 20th, 2009 at 8:01 pm
  5. it is true that you should get rid of the blood because it does not belong there and might of course cause troubles

do not use Q-tips since they will push the blood towards the drumhead

be careful with water or any water based solution since it may exacerbate the problem! Humidity enhances bacterial growth. Keep the ear dry! NB: heparin does NOT dissolve clotted blood (it is used to prevent blood clotting)

you should have someone have a look: it’s difficult to ses ones own ear! If the blood is only in the external (visible) part (where cerumen usually sits) let the person hook & drag the blood *gently* out

if the blood has reached deeper parts of the ear canal you may require medical attention - a pharmacist may propose gently drying and mildly antibacterial drops to use…

Andre on November 22nd, 2009 at 5:39 am
  6. I’d see a doctor if I were you. Or use that smoke thing where you blow smoke into your ear. I hear it works for ear infections. never tried it.. Probably wouldn’t do it. But those are possibilities.

kaycee on November 23rd, 2009 at 8:43 am
  7. Some pharmacies, depending on which part of the world you live in, sell ear drops specifically for getting earwax out. Maybe those might help?

Xenobiologista on November 23rd, 2009 at 12:21 pm
  8. Same thing happened to me. After a few days I went to the doctor and they put a smaLl nozzle hooked to a spray bottle to wash te blood out. A chunk about the size of a dime came out. Solved everything :) my advice is to see a doctor.

Zach on November 29th, 2009 at 5:21 am
  9. Ya, I would say your best bet is go to a doctor, anything else is likely to cause a problem. Since I was little Ive had constant problems with my ears, not piercings, but in general, including tubes. I had them in for a few years, but had to get one removed because it was stuck in my ear canal, so, you should probably just go to a doctor. Its worth the time and money.

kitsmewootwoot on December 9th, 2009 at 8:22 pm
  10. Using a special ear syringe with a mix of warm water with peroxide helped me eliminate dried blood in my own ear canal. Just a few irrigations dislodged the blood and it easily came out. Problem solved.

Beatrices on December 24th, 2009 at 5:28 pm
  11. After my scalpelling, I had the same issue. I used an ear was removal kit that can be purchased at any pharmacy.

This basically consists of a peroxide based gel and one of those blue bulb sucker things. Pu a few drops of the peroxide gel in your ear and let is work for a few minutes. Use the bulb to suck out as much as you can. After cleaning the inside off the bulb with warm, soapy water, irrigate the ear canal with warm water.

Your ear will be free of blood (and waxy build up)and your hearing will be restored.

Nighttouch on August 1st, 2010 at 12:57 pm
  12. Go to the pharmacy they sell a special bulb for cleaning out your ears fill it with warm water and rinse your ears out several times should do the trick.

thecat on October 13th, 2011 at 8:47 am
  13. This helps me more than you know. I’ve had a major clot inside my ear for a while the Dr has recently had to put me on antibiotics because I’ve been keep trying to dig it out with warm water and Qtips this is a big NO NO. So as of right now I am going to try the peroxide solution because I’ve gotten to the point where it’s starting to effect my equal liberum (my sence of balance) and I feel like I’m under water. I’ll try and let you know if it works.

Denise on July 16th, 2013 at 6:29 am