Raised tissue on my lip piercing

«« My New Nose Piercing is CHAPPED??    Septum Healing »»

Monday October 19th, 2009 @ 3:11 PM

Filed under: Lip/Cheek

Hi…recently i’ve found that there’s a raised tissue nearby the flat disc on my left labret. My piercer told me that it’s because of over accumulation of discharge & dead cells due to bed very late at night. I’ve been taking early bed for a week plus since the bump raised & gargle with warm sea salt water as usual but it seems like doesn’t reduce at all. I’m so worry about it & hope to have some advise on this problem. Thanks a lot & peace :)

Lip piercings can develop this kind of inflammation for a few different reasons.
Firstly, it could be that your piercing has been placed at a wonky angle and it’s irritating the piercing or that it’s being subject to trauma (chewing the jewelry, catching on teeth, oral contact with others…)

Secondly, it could be the quality of jewelry you’re wearing and your body is reacting to it - although by the picture, that doesn’t seem as likely.

My first guess is that it’s being irritated chemically somehow. Sea salt rinses are great to flush out oral piercings for aftercare. That being said, if you’re using a commercial mouthwash (Scope, Oral B, Listerine, etc) dumping booze or caffeine all into it or using a whitening toothpaste, that can seriously bother the inside of a fresh oral piercing

Posted by Lexci Million | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

104 Responses to “Raised tissue on my lip piercing”

1. Holy *shit*, that exact problem has happened to me and I came here looking for answers, and bam!

My piercing’s about two months old now and that same freaky lump has grown on it practically overnight. It almost feels like my body is trying to replicate its own labret stud, it feels disgusting!

I didn’t see any suggestions on how to get rid of the lump, I hope it’ll just go away if it’s looked after well?

Aara on October 20th, 2009 at 4:32 am
  2. i have this same exact problem . i went to my piercer and all of a sudden he doesnt know anything. he says it should go down within time and sea salt rinse. i think its a scar and will have it forever. we will see. anyone already gone through this>?

jackie on November 7th, 2009 at 10:12 pm
  3. you’re not going to have it forever, chill out man.

It happened with my upper labret after having the piercing for at least a few months. I kinda just ignored it and it went down. Then I stretched it to 12g (once it was fully healed, obviously!!) and it made it go away even more and I’ve never had problems like that since.

If the problem is caused by the jewellery quality or the angle of the piercing though, it is either going to take longer to go away or possibly not go away until the jewellery is removed.

beans on November 8th, 2009 at 5:29 pm
  4. my piercing was at an angle, which i believe caused it initially, so i went to the piercer and had him put in a ring. He basically looked at me and said “i dont know”.. Its very large, white and hard, like scar tissue, thats the only reason i believe i will always have it. any help is appreciated. (btyw, im a lady :O)

jackie on November 9th, 2009 at 9:59 pm
  5. Jackie,

Try not to worry!! You won’t have it forever, I literally had the exact same problem when I first had my lip done! I think one of the main causes that they mention in the article which is the trauma to the piercing area may have been to blame, however, I think it was actually something i was doing in my sleep!! It was always worse in the mornings! After I switched over to a ring, I was perfectly fine!! I can assure you it went away and there is absolutely nothing left behind! No scarring, no dead tissue, nothing!!! Hope I helped!

May on November 25th, 2009 at 12:42 pm
  6. fyi, its been a month and the bump is the same! yay for piercings! lol

jackie on November 26th, 2009 at 2:24 am
  7. well, it is going down, the other piercing began to do the same. turns out the studs were too short. i have rings in now and longer studs for when i want to wear jeweles. although the lumps are still there, im still hopeful they will go down. thanks for everyones help!

jackie on December 8th, 2009 at 2:28 am
  8. OMG I WOKE UP TRYING TO GOOGLE ANSWERS AND FINALLY I FOUND EM. 4 A MINUTE I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE W/THIS PROBLEM, SINCE FINDING ANSWERS WAS HARD. I WAS AWARE OF MY SCAR TISSUE UNDER THE LITTLE FLAT PART OF THE JEWELRY BUT IT WASNT ENTIRELY RAISED UNTIL LAST NIGHT. IT STARTED FEELING WEIRD AND BEGAN GROWING OVER THE FLAT PART… THIS MORNING TO MY HORROR IT GOT EVEN MORE RAISED, I TOOK OUT MY STUD, MAYBE I’LL GET SOMETHING OF BETTER QUALITY MEANWHILE I’M MISERABLE AT HOME AND ITS ALMOST 6 AM =[ I GOT THIS PIERCING ON SEPTEMBER, GOSH I REALLY HOPE THAT NASTY RAISED TISSUE GOES AWAY, IT FEELS GROSS, LIKE I CAN’T PICTURE HAVING THAT SCAR TISSUE AND KISSING A DUDE. OMG IS THERE STILL HOPE???

Angie on January 5th, 2010 at 7:00 am
  9. my raised tissue is now completely gone. dont worry, as you can see, i freaked out too. but, changing my studs to longer ones made the bumps go away. i now have the shorter studs in, and i have no problem and no sign of bumps….

jackie on January 8th, 2010 at 1:12 am
  10. the same problem with my medusa… when i changed the labret for a ring this raised tissues colour on the inside part is kunda blue-violet,it’s like bloody there… don’t know,and that’s what totally freaked me out… i had no problems with my lower lip piercing… and i’ve got it dome two months ago,and now such a present

anastasija on January 9th, 2010 at 3:12 pm
  11. i got my snakebites on dec. 26th 2009, i am just recently getting a raised bump over the left sides flat back disc. should i switch to rings?

sabrina on February 3rd, 2010 at 6:18 pm
  12. I have this same problem, but the thing that worries me is that mine hurts. and nowhere has anyone mentioned it hurting…
    There is the white tissue but its not really raised that much. Is it the same thing, or is mine an infection?

Corey on February 14th, 2010 at 6:51 pm
  13. I’m kind of freaking out now, the white skin is a little more raised now, but its accompanied by swelling and an increased level of pain. it also bleeds if i move it. am i dealing with the same thing?

Corey on February 15th, 2010 at 11:52 am
  14. I had this problem with my Labret and Medusa, I took out my Labret for a few days and it healed up fine, then I put the stud back in and Voila, it was gone and never returned! For my medusa, I actually turned my labret stud ‘inside out’ so the flat disk was on the front and the bump seemed to dissapear. I wouldnt worry too much, they will dissapear on their own!

Devro on March 14th, 2010 at 4:47 pm
  15. It’ll go down in weeks it did the same for my tongue pearcing when i had got my done and it happed to my lip

Tiffany on March 25th, 2010 at 10:10 pm
  16. I have the same problem, I was freaking somewhat but I feel better now. I have had my snakebites for about 2 months now and they’re both getting the bump but one more than the other. I have a problem tho I can’t put in rings because of work. If I just leave it the way it is and not mess with it will it still go away? Thanks

nicole on April 24th, 2010 at 11:24 pm
  17. Hi I’m so glad I found this posting. I have had my lip peirced for almost 2 months now. The first month everything was healing perfectly normal and I was pretty much ready to get downsized in jewelry. The problem is I got impatient and tried to change it myself prematurely. (like a fucking idiot I know) Anyway its clear that thats the trauma that caused the disgusting bump I have now. I went to the peircers right away and they said dont worry about it itll go away soak it etc… but Ive had it almost for a month now and its pretty much trippled in size. I cant stop obsessing over it and im probably causing it to become even more inflamed. Im going back to the peircers tommorow. Just wondering if i should take out the stud for a few days, put tea tree on it now, change it to a ring or I dont know what else. I REALLY REALLY dont want to take it out. HELP!!!

Janelle on May 1st, 2010 at 2:09 am
  18. I am having the same problem but with the Medusa piercing. I did it in March and that lose skin or whatever it is sticking out; has been there since May.. it’s still there. how long will it to fall off?? :/

Nic on June 22nd, 2010 at 7:00 am
  19. I seem to have a similar problem, I’ve uploaded some pics to tinypic, does anyone have any suggestions for me?

It looks perfectly normal on the outside, but I have a growth on the inside and it looks as if it’s growing over. Should I put in a ring? I only use 1/4tspn 1 cup water salt solution to clean it, and barely play with it.

I really don’t want to take it out, but I had a similar growth on my tongue piercing which I took out, and you can still see it though it’s tiny.

The jewelery is stainless steel, could it be my body reacting to that? I’ve got my ears done 5 times, and my naval, and they’re fine :S

kazzie on July 1st, 2010 at 6:21 am
  20. Seems as though many people with various lip piercings are developing this. And at a wide variety or different stages (fresh and healed) Personally I have had this happen to myself, and a few customers of mine. I do not think it is due to the jewelry at a bad angle because then the problem would persist and not diminish, seeing as the angle of your piercing does not really change. I also do not think this occurs due to quality of jewelry, also because the problem has resolved itself on some folks who have not changed their jewelry (length or material wise) I think it being irritated chemically is on the right track, but my assumption has always been this is a result of food particles becoming lodged in your piercing, and you body reacting trying to push them out.

Alyce on July 2nd, 2010 at 2:55 am
  21. you guys i busted my lip pretty bad about a week ago , i immidietly went to the emergency room and they gave me stitches
    and no the part of my lip where the cut was the most profound
    healed but turned into a small ball like yours, could it be the same thing? is it scar tissue?

Edgar on July 3rd, 2010 at 6:48 pm
  22. This exact problem happened to me after having my lip pierced for about a month with no other problems, this just sprung up overnight. I took it to my piercer, he told me it was a keloid (scar tissue occurring due to excess trauma around the newly pierced area) and that it would drop off in a few days. After two weeks it hadn’t gone away, so I ripped it off myself with tweezers (couldn’t feel a thing, though it bled alot) the whole thing came off, no lump underneath and 3 days later it was healed perfectly (:
    Little bit of home surgery can do wonders (Y)

Elle. on July 6th, 2010 at 6:21 am
  23. So I have the same problem with my medusa.
    Approximatly how long does it take to go away??
    I took out the piercing this morning, will it grow over?
    Is a longer bar needed?

Gilly on July 22nd, 2010 at 10:57 am
  24. I get this problem but I always cure it and I know what causes it. I’ve had a ring in my lower left lip and a bar in the centre for 6 years. It doesn’t matter how new or old the piercing is it can happen at any time. It will never happen if you have a ring in so that’s one way to sort it. However if you have a bar in the cause is 9/10 of the time its too short. I like wearing a short bar myself but get this problem from time to time, you just take it out as soon as you feel that piece of skin start to grow over and put in a longer bar for a day or two. After that you can put the small one back in as it will have healed, look at it like it needs a rest every month or so. Works everytime for me. As for the people saying the skin is hard, you’ve left it too long take it out immediatly, try putting in the longer bar but it may have already turned into scar tissue I’m afraid which is why you have to catch it in the early stages. For the people who say it causes bleeding this is different and is a bad infection and you need to take the piercing out completely straight away. Hope this info helps guys

jess on September 9th, 2010 at 12:46 am
  25. And by the way, any piercer who says it will come off on its own, is talking out of their ass. You will be left with a much worse prob if you leave it alone

jess on September 9th, 2010 at 12:49 am
  26. I have had my lip pierced for about 2 years, about a year ago i had this problem and it eventually diminished, however due to the fact that i have pretty full lips and had some crappy jewelry in it at first, I have retained a circular depression around where the flat back piece lies. recently i took the piercing out for a job interview and after the interview it had basically closed up and the raised tissue returned. I have another piercing right beside it which is a couple months younger than the first and it was fine, jewelry slid back in easily, however i had to basically force the other piercing back in. since then i have had a lot of pain, opaque discharge and even some blood! I have used sea salt soaks on it daily since that day and am VERY careful about keeping it clean and not bothering it. I will have to remove it for work as i got the job that day, but i’m worried that it is infected and i do not want to cause an absess. help!

Anna on September 12th, 2010 at 1:57 pm
  27. I have only had my labret piercing for about 4 days, but I have the beginninga of this.. and it is super painful. the actual piercing is fine.. no pain or problems. it’s only where the disk is rubbing the inside of my lip since it is placed at an angle. I an going to have to switch jewelry super early to a ring of something.

tasha on September 25th, 2010 at 10:50 am
  28. So, I got snakebites about a month and a half ago. They seemed to be healing nicely when I switched to rings. The first ones were too big and were uncomfortable. A small bit of white skin formed underneath the hole of the piercing inside my lip. After about a few days, I bought a pair of smaller rings. They fit better and seemed to be more comfortable. Almost immediagely, however, a hideous growth formed underneath the hole of my left piercing. There is one on the right too if it’s definitely not as bad. I went to my piercer and he said take it out, although I feel he just wanted me to take it out so I’d come back and get it done again. Anyway, it started to hurt a while ago. It goes away for a while and comes back for about a day. It is like a coned shaped, white growth with a little bit of red. Any idea because I’ve had this for about three weeks now and it is honestly disgusting.

eddie on October 24th, 2010 at 8:45 pm
  29. hi, ive been looking EVERYWHERE for someone to answer this exact question, thank god i found it, i have that same problem, & yess mine was caused by trauma, i kept biting my lip on accident while i would eat, i guess it was because of the angle of the piercing, i have snakebites, & it never happened to my other one, but anyway it’s really annoying, because cause i can feel it there, & it hurts! hopefully it goes away soon. ive been using mouthwash everyday since.

Lyss on October 29th, 2010 at 5:25 am
  30. I got my piercing around the end of October 2010. Bottom lip, right side, a ring. It was perfectly healing for the first few days until i started feeling a little bump around the piercing hole inside my mouth. The outside of the piercing was red and a little crust was forming around the outside of the piercing. Then after about 2 months, it formed a white hard ball around the inside of the piercing. I cleaned it with a little mouthwash everyday. Then it started going away so i stopped cleaning it so often. After a while, the size of the white ball tripled. I started cleaning it with mouthwash everyday again and it doesn’t seem to decrease in size. From what i read, it’s not infected but it just happens to be excess scar tissue forming and not allowing the piercing to fully heal. Ive always had a ring since i got it and i haven’t been able to buy sea salt to clean it. (Afraid that mother might get suspicious and rush me to the doctor when it might not even be such a big deal.) Any suggestions, tips, or help?

Stephii on January 2nd, 2011 at 1:02 am
  31. I have this too. I got my lip pierced on Feb. 15th and about 4 days ago the little hard white bump popped up. at first I was freaking out and so I contacted my piercer and she said it’s probably because I haven’t changed to a smaller bar size yet. I’ve started sea salt soaks just to see if it helps. But not to worried anymore seeing that many other people have this problem and it’s obviously not an infection :) But still hope it reduces and goes away permanently. Going to try and go into the shop soon to change the bar length and see if they say anything else. It doesn’t hurt and it’s not sore.. its just annoying. ;)

Caitlin on March 7th, 2011 at 7:30 pm
  32. i got my lip pierced march 5th and still havnt down sized my bar. for a while everything was perfectly fine, it was healing well, and then pretty much over night a lump of skin decided to pop up from behind my piercing plate.
    ive been washing it with mouth wash on the inside up until y piercer told me to stop.
    he said the cause of it could be from it swelling in the night, making the skin want to grow over top of the plate. he told me to stop cleaning because it encourages the skin to continue healing, and also to make sure not to play with it.

i was just wondering if getting my stud down sized would help? or if getting a hoop would be better?

amanda on April 7th, 2011 at 6:57 pm
  33. I thought I was the only one who got these. I have gotten these FUCKING things with every single oral piercing I’ve ever had. They’re like skin tags & they get really sore. This time with my lip ring it’s not nearly as bad but it’s still there. In the past when I had my labret & wore studs, I would just clean my cuticle scissors really good & cut the goddamn things off, but right now I’m just soaking it a lot & hoping it goes away cause it’s still healing.

I have noticed that they tend to pop up only with certain jewelry, so I might try changing the ring & seeing if that helps.

lydious on May 6th, 2011 at 7:37 am
  34. The thing a lot of people dont seem to realize is that piercers are NOT licensed medical professionals. This doesnt mean they dont know how to pierce, it means going in to the piercers to ask what this fucked up thing on your lip is will generally elicit a response of “i ‘unno”. I have a few piercings myself, including my lip, and though one of those ghastly looking things has never plagued me I can give two solid pieces of advice. 1) Go to the fucking doctor moron. and 2) If its really concerning you, take the damn piercing out. Looking “cool” at the expense of freaking yourself out and quite possibly worsening the condition is just ignorant.

Alex on May 6th, 2011 at 9:57 am
  35. I have noticed this with my lip piercing just like everyone else here a few weeks after I had gotten it done, when I had accidently bitten my lip near the piercing is when I first noticed it, for awhile I was still getting a discharge from it but now not so much, I’m getting another labret and a CBR for it so after changing to to a ring I’m hoping that it will go down, this is the first time I have gotten this with my piercings since my previous ones were my ears and eyebrow. At the moment I still have in the labret that was used to pierce my lip. It does sometimes hurt. It’s hard for me to see the piercer that had done it since they are in a town 4 hours away from the town I live in.

Samantha on May 15th, 2011 at 10:49 am
  36. omg this is happening to my angelbites the newer one is in at an angle and the one i have had since newyear is now completely covered in this tissue stuff and im freaking out koz i dont know how to take it out now its covered

Lee on May 21st, 2011 at 8:10 am
  37. sorry i forgot to add its realy painful so i have been useing polysporin for the outsid with is not to bad just realy swollen and bonjella adult mint cool for the pain on the inside.

Lee on May 21st, 2011 at 8:12 am
  38. just though i should get back to you, my piercing ended up have ing to be cut out it was not plesant

Lee on May 24th, 2011 at 8:11 am
  39. I had mine done unprofessionally and nothing ever happened, this is the first time I have ever heard that getting it done professionally it always screws up. :O Hope you all found your solution and I just hope when I get my other piercing professionally this done not happen to me. :/

Renee on July 16th, 2011 at 3:04 pm
  40. the same thing is happening to my piercing, I haven’t changed my bar since it’s been pierced which was at the beginning of july and it was healing PERFECTLY until about a week ago and I woke up with the skin trying to grow over or whatever. I do clean it with a sea salt rinse everyday, but when I wake up it seems to be worse. I wanted to get my piercer to look at it but he’s in costa rica, is there anything else I can do to reduce the growth?

Shelby on August 30th, 2011 at 10:15 pm
  41. Hello. I’ve had this problem too. I have snake bites and mine are doing this right at the moment. I was really worried that I may have an infection, but now that I’m reading some of these comments, I realized that I may not and it might just be a part of the healing process.

Anonymus on October 10th, 2011 at 4:17 pm
  42. So I am really glad I found this. I was starting to freak out just a tad bit. I got my lip done Nov 10th, 2011 and i thought it was doing really well. then i started to feel that the bar didnt seem as long as it was at first and i could feel a hard part under the flat part of my labret. I switched it to a ring four days ago the bump got a little bigger on the first day because it was changing shape but its been going down a little each day. during the day it does hurt kind of like a burn but at night and when i first wake up it is fine. it also gets whiter during the day. im not as worryed now because it is going down i really hope it goes away completely

Jesica on December 14th, 2011 at 1:33 pm
  43. This is happening with my labret :( My piercer put a longer bar in and it went away but then a week later it came back. I have been doing salt water soaks for a week but its not going away. any ideas on what to do? the tissue isnt over the backplate anymore but its under the bottom part of it. It gives me enough room to just barely put my front teeth between the backplate and my lip area (I dont do this, just a frame of reference)

Don on December 14th, 2011 at 2:18 pm
  44. Heey guys! I had this happen a couple years ago to my middle labret and my tongue. I ended up just taking out the piercings all together, I had no pain. I had gone to my piercer and she told me to use crushed up aspirin and water and make a paste with it and rub it on with a q-tip. I tried that and like I thought, no change. I went to my doctor and he mentioned BURNING it off. That scared me! I thought it was getting to be a serious problem and just took them out.
    So, years later I now have my Medusa pierced. Same thing is happening with this one.
    I’ve changed it from the original bar and put a plastic one in and that’s when I first noticed it, so tonight I changed it to a plain metal one.
    I’m really confused of why this is happening because I had me cheeks pierced a little while ago and that never happened once.

I have read all the previous comments and was wondering if any other information as come up about this problem. I really want to keep my piercing, but of course without this dumb little growth.

DeAnna on January 5th, 2012 at 1:19 am
  45. Rinse 2- 3 x a day with alcohol-free mouthwash. Clean jewelry outside with antibacterial soap. Be sure you wash your hands BEFORE touching your piercing. Make sure you jewelry is the right length initially, to allow for swelling. Don’t SMOKE!!!!And I always suggest surgical steel for a new piercing. Let it heal for 2 - 3 months before changing it, and try your best not to play with it. Patience! Go to a piercer who is experienced. Things happen, but you can reduce the chances. Treat it as what it is; an open wound. Most likely it is scar tissue, and the swelling should subside in time. Try to avoid it before it happens. And watch a new website (under construction until the end of February 2012). I am introducing a new product for oral piercings! Encourage your piercers to offer this product in their shop! You’ll love it! Take care and “Have a Happy Piercing”. nopullpiercing.com

Barbara on January 25th, 2012 at 8:56 pm
  46. I had this too. I went to a different piercer and she said it was probably the way I had it pierced. Basically, He done it wrong. My reallllly hurts as the nerves are there. She cut it off with pliers and I almost cried. It hurt so freakin much! Anyway, There is still a bit left :(

Marie on February 6th, 2012 at 7:09 pm
  47. Wow, the people on this thread seem to be describing several different types of growths… however, I was still grateful to find this topic when my lip exploded.

I have two piercings in my bottom lip - the one on the left is a year old, and it’s never had any problems (never any infections, keloids, or blowouts with any of my piercings or tattoos, actually.) Thus I was quite surprised when my right lip piercing started acting up after I’d had it for four months. I’d gotten a Sonicare (crazy insane vibrating electric toothbrush), and the tissue cropped up after I used it the first time, so I think it was caused by irritation. The tissue looked almost EXACTLY like the pictures Kazzie posted above.

It happened literally overnight. I woke up with a tiny flap of skin edging over the end of my stud. When I reversed my lip to get a better look, a tube-like area of flesh pushed out. No pain, but Christ, did it look nasty! There was no irritation otherwise, no swelling, redness or lymph. It wasn’t caused by jewelry material, as both my labrets are surgical grade steel, or by bar length, because I’ve had a 5/16″ in the other side for a year.

I freaked out, went to my piercer, and got “Could be anything. Sea salt and see your doc if it’s still there in two weeks.” That didn’t satisfy me - I didn’t want it to get bigger, or infected if food particles got in there - so I ended up doing the same thing Elle did: just removed it myself.

I have a very sharp, small pair of sewing scissors. I took them and my tweezers and sterilized the fuck out of them (soap and water, then rubbing alcohol, then boiling). I poked at the tissue, and though it bled a bit, there was no pain. Ten minutes later, I had it all cut out. It bled a shitload, but again, no pain. The next morning the inside of my lip looked like nothing had happened to it. I sea salted for the next week.

DISCLAIMER: I do not necessarily recommend doing home surgery on yourself; I just wanted to post my experience and also express my thanks to everyone else who posted (I was freaking out, and felt a ton better after reading.) I WAS WILLING TO TAKE RISKS by doing this to myself including infection, scarring, and loss of my piercing. Taking out a piercing is not the end of the world; if you feel it is your best option to keep yourself healthy, just take it out. Every body is different; mine just happened to be able to handle this treatment. (Two weeks later and I’m still fine.) Best of luck with your piercings, everyone.

Barnuckle on February 12th, 2012 at 5:58 am
  48. I have had my lip piercing done since november 2011 and I am just now getting this white lump. I am very glad im not alone In this situation and that it will soon go away. Thank u

Kiery on February 22nd, 2012 at 5:16 pm
  49. well i have this same tissue like substance on my lip in i have had my piercing for about 3 to 4 months in it didnt come until like the 3rd or 4th month in i believe it came from me biting it and i decided to take it out my lip for a while in see if it heals the put in a lip accessory that loops over my lip instead of an flat backed on for every one i beleave you guys should try a hoop 1 for the ones that can change theres in for the one’s who just got theres change it or return to your person who pierced your lip area but i will update you guys wen it goes down

Brandy on March 1st, 2012 at 5:17 pm
  50. Hi all . had a labret done in nov 2011 , had 2 nast infections and the inside of the lkabret went inside my inner mouth and stayed there for a month , tha pain was growing daily . In the end i went back to the piercer who had to cut it out of my mouth and i can tell you it was shocking … I cleaned my piercing every day and took great care of it ( have 3 other piercings all fine ) was it that i just didnt take to this labret or did wearing makeup make it react ? Would like to hear anyone elses stories… Just to let you know once out - was full of infection and on anti biotics again but feeling so much better .

sue on March 6th, 2012 at 2:44 am
  51. so I have a curved barbell thru my lip, I had it for about a month, and it seemed to heal up nicely. then about 2 weeks ago I notic that the skin around the bottom ball was crusting up….but not like it did when it healed. it was like atteched to my skin and hurt if I tried to get it off. then the next day or so after I got that flap of skin on the top inside my lip. my piercer and friend who does piercings told me to use tea tree oil. it has gone down but still hasn’t gone away. would it be beneficial to maybe put a ring in so there’s more healing space? or jus take it out? help?!

ashley on March 12th, 2012 at 5:20 pm
  52. I actually had to pop mine I got it when I got my Monroe and I had to take it off in order for it to heal :/

Nessa on March 16th, 2012 at 12:40 am
  53. I have snakebites that I did myself when I was 16. I know, I know, stupid me blah blah blah. They’re actually pretty straight and even though. So, now i’m 22 and actually being smart here. I have rings in about 90% of the time. I’ve had nothing in my holes for about 4 days now and I noticed I had a little scar tissue thing on the inside of one of my holes. I just iced it and cut it off with nail clippers. Hurts a bunch, but we’ll see if it goes away.

eggo on April 26th, 2012 at 1:38 am
  54. all good advice but how does it actually go? or will it ever go??

Lydia on May 3rd, 2012 at 6:49 pm
  55. This is what this is! http://exodontia.info/FEPs.html

Tina on May 8th, 2012 at 10:19 pm
  56. I have snakebites, got them December 27th 2011.
    My left side originally had this “thing” lol, I used to lick it all the time to feel if it was still there, then I discovered it didn’t hurt so I found myself biting it, then it gradually went away. I noticed I had it and it was problematic, if you will, when I had rings in.
    Funny thing is today my left one is starting to do it, right side’s fine. I had my jewelry out for like 10 hours- sleeping and being at work, but as I went to see if they closed, they didn’t… So I put my rings back in and the little thing’s back. Only weird part is that it’s happening on the outside too lol, I pinched the visible part with my nail (slight bleeding no pain), and I have in my initial longer studs. I think it just goes away with time.

Evander on May 15th, 2012 at 9:52 pm
  57. I had the same thing and removed it myself. I used a clean cuticle cutter and it didnt hurt at all. Now the piercing looks perfect under the flat back!! Be brave and do it yourself.

little mama on May 18th, 2012 at 2:42 pm
  58. Hey, I’ve had a weird lump thing like this come up on my Monroe piercing, I’ve had my pier ing for almost 3 years now and it came up after I took the pierecing out and couldn’t then get it back in. My lip swelled up for a couple hours and it bled when I put the laborer back in, it has some pain but like the pain from when it’s really cold and the metal of my laborer freezes.
    I’m just realt hoping it’s not infected, or I have to take it out cause its an ass to put back in!

Tegan on May 29th, 2012 at 10:09 am
  59. Gah that’s meant to say labret, stupid autocorrect

Tegan on May 29th, 2012 at 10:10 am
  60. hey, ive had snake bites since February 2012 and i have not had an infection or any problems a all with my piercing. but i woke up yesterday and had this skin flap or whatever it is on my right piercing. it doesnt hurt its not bleeding and my lip looks fine. i just want to know if there is a way to get rid of it.

Matt on May 30th, 2012 at 3:01 pm
  61. I’ve had my lip pierced for just over 6 months now and I have the same problem. It’s been happening for a few months now, and I’ve tried ignoring it and leaving it alone, and mouthwash and cleaning it. It hasn’t gone away, and I asked the place where I got it done. The worker said to either get a longer bar or to take it out. I don’t know how to fix it so I think I’m just going to take it out and let it heal then go and get it done again once it’s healed. It doesn’t hurt unless I squeeze the area around my piercing, so I think it would be best to take it out and let it heal.

Jemma on June 15th, 2012 at 1:51 am
  62. What does a middle below lip piercing mean?

Shandabambam on June 19th, 2012 at 10:47 pm
  63. Ahhh I be had one piercing for a year. It’s perfectly fine. So bout a month ago a a little over I got my second piercing on my lip. Just a couple days ago I noticed when I pushed up my stud with my finger from the outter part I noticed the tissue. It’s small. Just a little bit is there. I don’t need this shit.

Saints on July 4th, 2012 at 10:50 am
  64. Ahhh I be had one piercing for a year. It’s perfectly fine. So bout a month ago a a little over I got my second piercing on my lip. Just a couple days ago I noticed when I pushed up my stud with my finger from the outter part I noticed the tissue. It’s small. Just a little bit is there. I don’t need this shit.
    I think the main reason for it being there might be bcus of the trauma it takes the way my barbell gets snagged a good amount of times a day. Is it infected? :o

Saints on July 4th, 2012 at 10:54 am
  65. Also when I move the ring sideways that I put in or push down on it I feel pain. It seems like its getting worse I just want to rip the skin off myself–

Saints on July 5th, 2012 at 4:25 pm
  66. I Have But On The Outside Of My Lip I Need Help would It Go Away ?

Ramon on July 15th, 2012 at 1:14 am
  67. well Ive had my Monroe for 3 months and a week ago I had the same tubular lump pop up around the flat back and I KNOW for a fact that mine was caused by excessive ALCOHOL consumption (as I have a little dependency on the darn stuff) Ive knocked the booze on the head now and will see if that helps.

lisa on July 15th, 2012 at 3:37 am
  68. Omg im just now finding the same lump.. Well i removed my jewlry forever . Now im waitng to see if everything goes away. I have spider bites (well had spider bites)

But yess my tissue looks dead , well u guys say it won last forever so im removing them & see wat haopens

Cierra on July 22nd, 2012 at 1:04 pm
  69. I have had my lip piercing for 2 months now and my lump just appeared this morning, so glad to find out this is quite a common thing! going to try the salt water cleaning it and hopefully it wont get any bigger!

Leigh-Ann on July 25th, 2012 at 4:11 am
  70. I have just been to the doctor today with this and was advised to remove the labret and leave it without jewelry for 3 to 4 months. He said atm it is just aggravated but it is getting worse and if I kept jewelry in it could become a polyp and I could develop cancer. If you are worried about a piercing visit a doctor, although piercers know their trade they are not medical staff and have little knowledge of these things, certainly you cannot tell from piercer to piercer how much knowledge they do have and they will never be as knowledgeable as a gp. Do not take risks with your health for cosmetic reasons.

Abigail on July 25th, 2012 at 5:35 pm
  71. Hi I’ve had my spider bites done for a while now and I have changed to rings and the ring on the right side keeps cutting into my lip and its painful when it does so a have to take it out and put a labret in and each time I put it back in it happens any advice. ?
    thanks

brett on July 31st, 2012 at 5:19 am
  72. Ahhh! I’m so glad I’m not the only one w/ this shit on my
    skin.
    2 months ago I have pierced my Monroe it was perfectly fine then one morning I woke up w/ an ugly ass lump inside my lip and during the day the lump kept growing I was shitting bricks so I took it off. Then 2 days later the lump was gone :O
    Then that day I forced my labret in the sane whole it went in like nothing I had it for a month and a half around there 3 days ago I saw the lump inside my skin growing again but it didn’t hurt or anything but and that day I decided to cut some part of the lump off. I still have some of it there but it hasn’t grown or nothing ive been cleaning the stud w/ alcohol and been using mouthwash! I hope you guys get rid of this ugly thing soon! I hope I do too .________.

Janett on August 5th, 2012 at 5:07 am
  73. I just took mine off right now lol got a piece of string waited till all the blood went out of it and the pulled it tighter basically I amputated it nuthing like some good old home amputation lol it didn’t go all the way through though so I had to bite the rest of it off :/

Kristie on August 6th, 2012 at 1:28 am
  74. I’m having the same problem too! And it’s painful! Hopefully the salt water rinse helps!

Jasmyn on August 6th, 2012 at 4:32 am
  75. Yo I has a question for anybody that can answer, I got my lip done yesterday, there’s no pain but this morning I woke up and there was like a blood clot covering my backplate (I removed it using cotton buds) but it’s been bleeding at the backplate since,is this normal or will I have to follow a different aftercare thingy? (first piercing I don’t know what to expect or anything xD)

Darren on August 8th, 2012 at 10:38 am
  76. @Brett the ring is probably cutting in because of swelling from the piercing, you should change to a stud for 2 weeks then get a slightly larger ring just to be sure

Garry on August 8th, 2012 at 12:35 pm
  77. How long will my spider bites take to stop swelling?
    Faith.Merker@gmail.com yes been a week today

faith on August 24th, 2012 at 6:10 pm
  78. Someone please help me , im fina go crazy , i don’t even know how this happend. I really dont wanna get rid of my percing and i dont know what to do!!!!!? I wanna try the saltwater I hope it doesn’t back fire.

Nicole on August 27th, 2012 at 11:24 pm
  79. I got my monroe on july 24th and I jus woke up wit a little red bump a lil under my monroe in the inside. Watt should I do? I haven’t had it in long enough to put a new one in… plz help

Jill on September 2nd, 2012 at 12:03 pm
  80. I got my lower left lip pierced in February 2011 and I’ve found that this little white lump issue only occurs when I have rings in or horseshoes in. The labret stud I prefer is quite short and therefore tight (ish) and it leaves a small indent on my inner lip but it is comfortable to wear and having it short means it never catches on my teeth (when I first got it done I used to bite my bar by accident while eating, really sore) I’ve just today changed back to this labret from a ring I’ve had in for months in the hope that this lump’ll go away. It doesn’t hurt or discharge anything but it annoys me lol. I think it’s (in my case at least) down to the jewellery, the difference between the curved shape of the ring in comparison to the straight labret stud. The curvature of the ring obviously shapes the hole in my lip differently to the straight bar, pulling it slightly therefore causing the slight lump. That’s my theory anyhow. I prefer rings so this is an annoying issue.

Crumpet on September 16th, 2012 at 12:25 pm
  81. I’m going to copy what so many people have said. I’m so glad to have found this! I was freaking out. I just removed my piercing and I’m going to see what leaving it out for a day or so does.. if it closes up.. so be it. My lump was getting big.. the white bit is very hard and now there is this perfect round raised spot on the inside of my lip with a crater from the back of the piercing in it.. it’s hard.. and very creepy looking. Oh well..

Ace on September 23rd, 2012 at 1:33 am
  82. My only concern was that it happen to me after almost 8 weeks. I’m gonna try switching to a ring and hope it goes away. Mine is pretty soft and hopefully that makes it go away faster.

Drea on October 1st, 2012 at 2:37 pm
  83. I am having this problem with my cheek piercings, it was under the flat back of my cheek ring, I figured it was caused by me talking & chewing stuff like that pushing the ring down on the skin constantly developing this tissue. So I actually cut it off with pointed nail clippers (sanitized of course) and its healing just fine with warm sea salt water. But it was shaped like a small horn & it was pale colored with red veins..scary. I’m glad it’s gone.

Ava on October 3rd, 2012 at 9:28 pm
  84. I got my piercing 3 days ago and where the piercing is I have a ball there, is it going to go away? I’ve been washing it and cleaning it but I’m scared if I have to take it out D:
    I don’t want to take it out,

prizzy on October 24th, 2012 at 8:15 pm
  85. i got my lip pierced on october 15th and moved to washington. there, i bought some cheap rings. the bar seemed smaller, but i was too excited to notice. i bought them anyways and put one in a week earlier than i was supposed to… it obviously hurt and about 2 or 3 weeks later, i felt above my lip ring on my lip, and had a hard bump on my lower lip. i didnt worry about it, and about a week later, i got one on the inner side of my lip above my piercing so i could barely see the back of the ring. then i changed the bar right away, cleaned it and gargled salt water daily, and it should go away soon. im guessing this happens because the bar on your ring is too small and suffocating your lip. i would get it checked…

Pauline on November 5th, 2012 at 9:06 pm
  86. Ive had my monroe pirced for about 2 1/2 months an about a month ago maybe a lil less i felt this little bump or growth over the flat part of my barbel an ive had it for a while now it started out as like a little blister maybe im not sure what it was but now its like a flappy piece of skin an it feels really gross!!! im really worried an im not sure if i should leave it alone or take it out..

Rachel on November 19th, 2012 at 12:31 pm
  87. I got spiderbites a month ago and about a week ago this little bump just starts to form on one of them. The other one is perfectly fine, but this bump on the other one is worrying me and I spent good money getting it pierced so I don’t want to take them out. I suppose sea salt will make it go down in a few weeks, though? Hopefully?

Christina on December 4th, 2012 at 9:31 am
  88. i really am sure that it will turn out fine and that it will be good in a week.

Fabian on December 13th, 2012 at 10:25 am
  89. i had this exact same problem happened to me you have to take it out for it to go down but your scar tissue will be scarred for life

liam on December 23rd, 2012 at 6:33 am
  90. I had this once on my tongue piercing. I just ended up carefully piling it off with my nails. Didn’t come back. Up to you if you want to try it. It didn’t hurt me, but that doesn’t mean it won’t hurt for you.

Ali on February 1st, 2013 at 6:55 pm
  91. Here I am back again two years after having my scar tissue cut off and my piercing remove at A&E. I had my piercing redone a month ago and again scar tissue has started to form. I’m trying to get it out before it grows over the disk like last time. I tried to break to jewellery with a pair of scissors because it’s jammed shut but my hand slipped and I’ve torn the hole. How can I get the jewellery out?

Lee on February 8th, 2013 at 9:36 am
  92. Totally happened to me with my old piercings. (Two “monroe” piercings on either side above the top of my lip.)
    I went to a local well-known but absolutely shitty place and had them done. I went to a better piercer (my current one) the next day and she said they were done badly and I’d have to take them out. This is exactly what they looked like, too. Mine scarred but I only can tell if I realllllly try to find the spot where they were pierced.
    But still, huge PITA.

Lauren D. on February 14th, 2013 at 7:16 am
  93. May have a solution??

Had my monroe done about 4 weeks ago and this bubble has started forming on the side of my disc, 3 days ago… My lips do swell overnight causing the disc to put pressure on my inner lip and this is what I believe is causing this weird bump thing. My post isn’t too short but my gum does push it out so pressure is kind of unnavoidable. Anyway I have been doing sea salt soaks keeping the solution in my month for 2min (wouldn’t know if this is too long but it is a weak solution 1/4 teaspoon in a cup of water - pre boiled) and pressing my stud in so the mixture can go to the back of my disc. My lump has not increased in size and hopefully it will just go away soon. The sensitivity is now going away … Hope this helps x

Roxy on February 23rd, 2013 at 12:50 am
  94. Hey, I got my lip pierced about 3 weeks ago and I had a stud in it!
    About 4-5 days ago I switched it to a ring and then all of a sudden there is a hard lump just below the piercing on the inside!
    I asked my mum and she said it is just scare tissue, should I switch back to the stud and see if it goes away?!

Jamie on March 18th, 2013 at 7:39 pm
  95. I am getting this on my left Angel Bite that i have had since February.. I also have my right Snake Bite getting really swollen… I got these also in February… It isn’t infected i don’t think, but it is swelling up and almost covering the hoop i have in.. It hurts a little when i try moving my piercing.. I am wondering if this is cause from drinking again…? Or is it maybe infected? The front of both are fine, and the left Angel and right Snake are completely fine…

PixieKitty on April 10th, 2013 at 12:33 pm
  96. Also, they haven’t had issues until i started drinking, which is why i am wondering if it is the alcohol causing the issues..?

PixieKitty on April 10th, 2013 at 12:33 pm
  97. This problem is really common, and there is an easy solution. I had this going on for months after I got my lip pierced, and it got progressively worse. It’s a keloid, and it happens with piercings all the time. Go to a health food store and buy a bottle of emu oil. Put a bit on it several times daily with a q-tip and don’t bother the lump with your tongue or teeth if you can help it. It will go away. It may come back if you stop applying the oil, but the oil will take care of it. Eventually it will stop and it won’t come back anymore.

Katie on April 21st, 2013 at 8:03 pm
  98. My pierced cut that piece of skin off my medusa after about 2 months.

Hannah on June 9th, 2013 at 9:53 pm
  99. Hi. My name is LeAnn, and I have developed kind of a raised edge right around on half of the ball on my piercing. I have had my lip piercing on the left side for about a month now. It isn’t swelling, I know that much. But even the piercer has no idea what it it. It doesn’t have discharge of any kind. Help?

LeAnn on June 29th, 2013 at 9:20 am
  100. All you need to do is cut it off it’s dead skin it’s gonna bleed alot of course . What I did I cut it of with starelized Scissors with warm hot water burned the scissors then put Alcohol on it. I cut it half of it off to the point you want to be carefull . When it stop bleeding I put Peroxide on it . I change my bar to a long one just in case and didn’t let my Tongue go anywhere near it after a week or so it’s gone :) no worries about it . It heald Properly

Vanessa on July 7th, 2013 at 3:13 pm
  101. I had the same problem but now mine has completely covered the back of my lip ring therefore I cant get the ring out. Is there anything I can do for that??

Tuesday on July 8th, 2013 at 9:00 pm
  102. Two years ago I got my monroe done for my 18th birthday and I never had this problem. I then had to take it out for my old job (for roughly 3-4 months). I decided I really wanted it back so I went and got it redone. This time I have this little painful skin growth (mind you, I still had in the longer starter labret). I’ve noticed that my lip is still swollen a bit as well. My friends all told my just to change it to a normal labret and it should be fine, but its still there and I’m afraid it may cause it to get worse since it is a shorter bar. There is no puss or anything gross coming from the piercing, the skin growth bled a few times when I was trying to change the bar, but I think it was because it got kind of pinched. /:

(I got this piercing one month ago)

Is this going to go away on its own? I really cant leave it out for a few days or even one because my last monroe closed in a natter of hours. Is this happening because this is a piercing over an old one? I am really at a loss with what to do. I have gone through all of the obvious steps and I havent seen any significant change. I am really worried I will have to take it out again ): in which case I probably wont be getting it done again. Thanks.

Leigh Anne on July 19th, 2013 at 1:09 pm
  103. Ok so I had this problem and my first guess was dead skin. So me being an idiot decided to try and cut some of it off. Now its been a few weeks since and its twice the size and a little pink. Help?

tristan on July 29th, 2013 at 2:27 pm
  104. Found a better Solution

keloid for oral piercings (lip, cheeks, tongue, etc)

what i use: antiseptic mouth wash (no alcohol), h2ocean (or non-iodized sea salt and warm water), tea tree oil, and cortizone (intensive healing formula).

**u can substitute mouth wash + h2ocean and instead get the h2ocean mouth wash =]
    **DO NOT USE THE COLGATE MOUTH WASH I MENTION