Hood Piercing and MRI

«« Hip piercings    Medusa irratation »»

Friday March 20th, 2009 @ 6:45 PM

Filed under: Female Genital

I’ve recently been in an accident where I had some neurological damage that’s being monitored by doctors. Through my Xrays and CT scans, it hasn’t been an issue having my 9 ear piercings, two navels, and my hood piercing. But for the MRI I’ve been cautioned that unless the metal I have in my piercings is for sure high-grade titanium, I could have some issues with getting an MRI. I’ve heard of the metal heating up or outright being pulled from my body because apparently MRI’s are big magnets? I don’t know. But anyway, taking my piercings out temporarily doesn’t bother me. I’m just having some difficulty with my hood piercing. I’ve had it for over 2 years now and I cannot get that sucker to budge. I’ve had a 16g gold barbell in there since I was first told I was able to change the jewelry. I’ve kept it clean and it’s been fantastic for me, but I’m kind of concerned about what would happen if I just left it in for the MRI? I fight with it for a couple of minutes everyday trying to get the balls loosened, but since it’s in such an awkward spot, I can’t really reach it with tools to stabilize the barbell and try to work at the ball a little better. And of course, my boyfriend is of no assistance. Sure, he loves the piercing, but ask him to help me get it out and he runs and hides and gets all grossed out, haha. Are there any tips and tricks that I could try at home by myself to get this bugger out or should I just suck it up and go see my piercer and throw them a nice tip to help me get it out? Ideally, I’d like to just get the jewelry loosened to where I could hop into the bathroom before my MRI and take it out and put it back in afterward. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Definitely have a piercer help you loosen the barbell balls. We’ve got all kinds of tools and tricks (and experience and skill and the right angles) to get even the toughest stuck barbell balls loose.
DO NOT wear that jewelry in an MRI.

Posted by Lexci Million | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

11 Responses to “Hood Piercing and MRI”

1. Thanks so much for the insight. I think I’ll hop on in this weekend and see my piercer. :-)

MacGirl on March 20th, 2009 at 10:05 pm
  2. Ive worn my body jewelry in an MRI and was fine.

Anna on March 21st, 2009 at 11:08 am
  3. Honestly, I think it would be ok. If your jewelry is solid gold, the MRI won’t bother it. Gold isn’t magnetic. The main worry is the heating up of the metal. Sometimes I do have patients who come in and can’t get their jewelry out. I just inform them of the heating possibility and you get a call button. So if there is any problem, just squeeze the button and they can get you out. I haven’t had a patient complain yet but it is a possibility.
    P.S. I am an MRI Tech. :)

Heather on March 22nd, 2009 at 4:41 pm
  4. I wouldn’t leave it in, even if other people have.
    It’s better safe than sorry.

Good luck with everything.

Danielle on March 28th, 2009 at 1:24 am
  5. You need a new boyfriend.

Mankind on March 28th, 2009 at 11:06 am
  6. Gold’s not magnetic. It shouldn’t be a problem.

A lot of jewelry now is either gold, titanium, or surgical steel; none of these are magnetic, so it should be pretty safe to wear them in an MRI machine!

As Heather said, heating up will be the main problem, but unless it’s large jewelry, I wouldn’t worry all that much.

Sierra 117 on April 1st, 2009 at 12:44 pm
  7. Gold is never pure - it is the junk ‘pot metals’ that they mix in that worry me - I definitely recommend removal!!!!!!!!!

PatrickB on April 21st, 2009 at 5:15 pm
  8. i know its simple but try wearing disposabe rubber gloves when removing jewellarry, you will be suprised at the extra grip you get

ward on June 8th, 2009 at 6:49 am
  9. Even non magnetic metal like surgical steel is still magnetised by the MRI machine because its so damn powerful so I’m pretty sure even gold jewellery can be an issue.

However it shouldn’t be a problem. I had to have an MRI in May & just could not get my ring out no matter what I tried. The technician was really supportive and said they could put a plaster over it or I could wear some tights or something. As I happened to have by tummy holders (aka Bridget Jones pants on) which were very tight & held me in they said it would be fine.

As it was I had the scan & didn’t feel a thing - no movement, no heating up & no vibrations (unfortunately! lol)

You should be absolutely fine. Best of luck x

JenJen on November 25th, 2009 at 5:09 pm
  10. I just had an MRI of my head and I have hood piercing. The nurse suggested that I covered the ring with tape…it was awkward but I did it. The test went fine. The problem came when I attempted to remove the tape. The tape had slid from the ring and was attached to both the ring and my skin. OUCH!!! Its a few days later I’m still a bit sensitive from the pull of the tape. Next time I’d cover the area with gauze before taping it.

neesa on January 27th, 2010 at 6:25 pm
  11. i am having an mri scan on sunday its for my foot i can remove all my jewerlly apart from my tongue and the piercing ve got under my tongue as they are very tight the are titanium will they b an issue

roz on May 3rd, 2010 at 12:19 pm