About the size and stretching of a Prince Albert curved barbell

«« vertical labret    when to stretch? »»

Tuesday January 13th, 2009 @ 10:51 PM

Filed under: Male Genital

Dear BMEzine,

I am eager to get myself a Prince Albert pierced and would like to use a curved barbell as piercing. In your FAQ I read:

“Initially the piercing is done with a ball closure ring which is 2mm thick with an internal diameter of approximately 13-18mm. After 2 months it’s best to increase the ring to one of 2.4mm thickness, this is far more comfortable during sex. Other forms of jewelery i.e. circular barbells, banana barbells, and prince wands may be worn.”

What I would like to know:

1) Does the thickness that is stated here also apply for curved barbells? If not, what would be the ideal curved barbell starter and final size?

2) Is it easy to switch between sorts of piercings without having to go through a whole procedure of stretching and caring or is it recommended to stick with one type of piercing?

3) How does the stretching of Prince Alberts in general and especially curved barbells work? I can imagine this might be a painful procedure.

I am asking all these question here because I feel safer to ask here than to a “random” piercer.

Thanks in advance,

- Al

The information contained in the F.A.Q., while accurate, could be a little misleading/outdated.

While captive bead rings are very common for PA piercings, there is no reason to not use a curved barbell or a circular barbell as well. In face, many men find a curved barbell to more comfortable during the healing as there is less jewelry to get knocked/moved about.

As for the sizing, 2mm, as mentioned in the F.A.Q. is only about a 12ga. In my opinion, a “good” piercer won’t be willing to do a PA on you any less than 10ga (2.4mm) and would likely encourage you to go with 8ga or perhaps even 6ga. The diameter, or length in the case of a curved barbell, would be determined by the piercer based upon what is going to fit your body the best.

When using a curved barbell, the length often has to be slightly longer than when using a captive bead ring or circular barbell. Curved barbells don’t tend to “drop” into the bottom of the urethra as much as CBR’s or CIBB’s and therefore require a bit of extra length. For example, if a 5/8″ diameter CBR would fit well, most likely you would need something closer to 3/4″ in a curved barbell.

As long as the jewelry is sized appropriately, you shouldn’t have any problems switching between different styles of jewelry.

Stretching a PA piercing is often very easy for man men. The tissue tends to be fairly loose in that part of the body so it often stretches easier. As you go up in size, you may find the stretches to be a bit tougher. However, the increased weight of the larger jewelry can also lead to easier stretches for some people.

Posted by Derek Lowe | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

28 Responses to “About the size and stretching of a Prince Albert curved barbell”

1. personally with pa’s i prefer using 8ga or 6ga as the ideal thickness to go.

with a curved barbell shaft length of roughly 3/4″ to 7/8″ long.

Warren Hiller on January 14th, 2009 at 3:06 pm
  2. Stretching my PA (from 10g to 4g) has been a piece of cake.. I guess enough.. er.. “use” of the ring and things kinda stretched out nicely on their own.

I wish I would’ve thought more about curved barbell length vs CBR width, though. I bought a 5/8″ curved barbell thinking it’d match with my 5/8″ circular barbell.. no such luck. 3/4″ was perfect, however. I keep the ring in if I’m wearing shorts, but switch to the barbell for pants.

mikedude on January 14th, 2009 at 11:58 pm
  3. Thank you all for the responses, they have been VERY helpful!

As soon as I get my PA pierced I hope to post my findings here.

Cheers,

Al

Allubz on January 17th, 2009 at 10:10 am
  4. Ok, I just got a PA done a week ago. It’s a 12 guage 5/8″ diamater CBR. Now I’m a bit concerned after reading this. I am pretty sure I went to a pretty reputable piercer in my city.

Does this just mean I need to be a little more careful, and wait until I can move up to 10 guage? I’d like to eventually move to either 8 or 6, and possibly “upgrade” to an apadravya.

Doug on June 11th, 2009 at 9:00 pm
  5. I have yet to get a PA so I don’t know about what the best size to get is but i was watching that daisy of love show and that six gauge guy seemed to work the PA so i think it might be cool plus it makes anal sex feel wonderful

Cummings on July 16th, 2009 at 1:46 am
  6. Just got my PA done on Monday night. I’ve been wanting one for years. They put in a 10 gauge 3/4″. The next day I went back and got my nipples done..lol. having dumbbells put in.

Regarding the stretching, I want to go to an 8 gauge, and i’m gonna wait the 1-2 months to all my member to totally heal first… But do you guys suggest doing the stretching yourself or going back to the shop to have it done? What’s involved?

Also, I know it’s a stupid question, but the heaver the jewelry, does it have any effect on stretching the length of your penis?

bruce on July 30th, 2009 at 10:48 am
  7. I got my PA with a 2mm CBR 19mm diameter. Stretched it myself after 4 week (some say better stretch during healing) to 3 mm CBR again 19mm.

I have a 3.2 mm 20mm dia. waiting but also ordered a 4mm 22mm dia. with the appropriate stretching tool.

I found 19mm dia. to be a bit tight when erect

You can stretch PA yourself but when you go up in size opining plyers may be needed.

VMax on February 18th, 2010 at 4:02 pm
  8. I got my PA back in Feb of this year, and it was with an 8 gauge, by April I had no choice but to put larger jewelry in because the hole got stretched a bit to big. I was able to skip from an 8 gauge to a 4 gauge with no difficulty or pain. The only bad part about having jewelry at this gauge when it’s a captive bead ring is the bead is almost impossible for you to put in yourself. If you get to 4 gauge or above, I definitely recommend having a piercer with the right openers do it, or use Segment Rings, Spring Loaded Captive Bead, or Curved Barbells.

Alex on July 6th, 2010 at 12:32 pm
  9. Love my P.A. and have not had a complaint yet from my girlfriend, got mine done at 10 gauge and now have a 00 gauge using a circular barbell………….awesome!

Raevyn on August 18th, 2010 at 7:59 pm
  10. just had my PA done a week ago and love.i had mine done at 8g and i already want to go to a 6g. so from what i gather is i should wait about 2 months or so and would you recommend going back to the shop or doing it yourself?

thanks

rich on October 22nd, 2010 at 10:51 am
  11. I got my PA in December and a 12g ring was used. Does the size of the first ring depend on your dick size? I mean, I read about guys getting their PA and having an 8g ring put in! Wow! I’m at 10g now (put it in this month) and it’s really tight. I want to start stretching it but how? Also, I notice that it gets crusty sometimes. What’s that about?

John on March 18th, 2011 at 7:23 am
  12. Got mine done at an 10g with a cbr but had him swap it for a different one as it got in the way. The second one he put in was small and almost lead to tearing so I put in a 3/4″ curvedbarbell. I’m having problems with it dropping in and am concerned about it dropping during sex and getting stuck or something. I ordered a 1″ curved barbell that hopefully will be here in a couple days. Also. Does anyone know where I could get a bigger ball to put on the end so it won’t drop in?

Sishen on June 3rd, 2011 at 4:42 am
  13. I got mine redone after not having one in for six years - went ahead and just sucked it up and went with an 8-gauge. It wasn’t that much more difficult than getting any other needle through your cock, although I was pretty wound up and I jumped some… shame on me! It was a hard pinch, then it was all done. It was harder dealing with the receiving tube in my urethra than it was to deal with the needle through my dick. And to top it all off I had a great piercer who walked and talked me through it all. Jess at Buddha Box was great!

Re: the crusties - my first PA had that a lot. this time i got a ring that was implant-grade, and haven’t had a problem. I occasionally wind up with some whitish stuff on my drawers after a long day, but generally not if I’m not pissing it off by leaving my cock and ring penned up in tight underwear.

gabriel on November 2nd, 2011 at 11:02 pm
  14. I’ve had my PA since 2001. Got a perfect 8 guage piercing at The Piercing Experience in Atlanta. My piercing looks great and every guy who finds out I have a huge pierced tool wants to put it in his mouth. Best thing I ever did for my sex life!

BigBadDakotaInAtlanta on November 19th, 2011 at 5:06 pm
  15. I’ve had my P.A. for about 12yrs now. When it was done they put a 1mm ring in it and waited until it was several weeks old before moving up. I’m happy with my 5mm (4g) which I upped over several moves several weeks apart. I found this process more painful than the piercing, just take it slowly as the size dose not reflect size, that is down to the inner ring size. Just a week ago I changed from a B.C.R. to a slightly curved Barbell, which I find easier for day to day use, going to the gents!!!

Arron on January 2nd, 2012 at 10:29 pm
  16. One of those things, if you don’t understand or think wtf, not for you and you don’t deserve it. If you have any interest, do it yesterday.

Crust - deposits from you body urine or cum. Keep the shit clean. This is your dick, it goes inside people. Keep it clean. Easiest piercing a man can do. You clean it every time you pee, and if you are like me, you bust out the antibacterial soap three four times a day. Why? Bcz your dick goes inside people.

Bigger the gauge the more comfortable it is.

Keep your shit clean. When you present yourself you are representing everybody who has one,

huckthefuskie on April 11th, 2012 at 1:13 am
  17. I have read all of the posts above and the closest to my experience is Aaron jan 2 2012.

I also started with a smaller piercing 2.4mm (10g) and started moving up size by size. after 2 years I also have a 5mm (4g) and think that is it. Size wise it seems perfect without being to impractible.
    The process of moving up is quite straight forward, the skin is quite pliable down there and with plenty lube and maybe using a warm bath, it shouldnt be too stressful. Just dont force it. I agree that barbells are better for certain functions, lets not be shy , peeing, but they have their drawbacks. For me during sex the barbell ends up getting pushed inside me so i end up with an unattractive rod dangling down… not cool. So i stick with a BCR when doing that stuff.

As for Crust and other deposits, if you use a reputable piercer they will provide guidence for aftercare. A small bottle of gel for cleaning for 30 days should do it.

If you are looking here for inspiration to have a PA done, all I can say is do it. I made an appointment to have it done and walked up and down outside the shop for 20 mins before going inside and re booking;. I went home and did some more research then went back. A Lot more confident. The piece of skin that needs to be pierced for a PA is one of the thinnest on the body. It really isnt that bad. In fact, the tube they use to line up the piercing is probably more uncomfortable ( but not painfull).

Go ahead do it, the end gain is soooooo worth it.

Rapallokid

Rapallokid on May 17th, 2012 at 5:02 pm
  18. I got my PA done about three to four years ago. It was pierced at a 12g and I eventually stretched it up to a 2g. After it was fully healed and stopped crusting is when I started gauging, don’t remember how long it took though. The first several gauges we’re captive bead, then changed to circular barbell due to ease of changing. Around 6g I required opening pliers for all of the CBRs. Once the gauge started getting larger the inner diameter got smaller, I didn’t want an excessively large circle, just wanted it thicker. With the smaller inside diameter it got increasingly more difficult to fit the pliers in the hole without pinching some head skin between the pliers and ring… Pinching head between metal is no bueno. A few times I did force a larger gauge in before it was completely ready. Pushing the ring into the hole didn’t hurt when using the smooth end of the CBR, but once the skin popped rover the end onto the actual ring where the full with of the gauge was, it hurt, but for only about five minutes and it wasn’t any kind of serious pain.
    I agree with earlier post that peeing is easier with barbell. With full circle, depending on bead positioning at urination time, the stream will follow the ring almost all the way around and hit where you aren’t aiming. With barbell, the stream has less ring to travel before hitting the ball and going off in mostly the direction of aim. I also recommend turning your dick sideways. Aiming naturally will cause you to piss on the seat/floor/your balls/pants. And unless you like cleaning off the seat, you should sit to pee if using a normal toilet or stand pretty close to the urinal.
    My stretching was pretty straight forward and easy. Just put in a bigger ring when it was comfortable and not painful. In my opinion the best jewelry to use when stretching is CBR. The ends that hold the bead are usually curved enough to not drag across the hole. I tried stretching with an externally threaded(ball screws ONTO ring) CBB…horrible idea. The flat part of the ring, at the threads, was so flat/sharp that it felt like it was trying to tear me. On the othe other hand, CBBs that are internally threaded(ball screws INTO ring) AND countersunk are also very easy. Non-countersunk has the same problem as externally threaded due to the flat/sharp end compared to rounded end.
    The sexual pleasure, including self stimulation, was increased with every up gauge, for both me and her. Downside though is that she said the larger rings made it easier for her to gag, so that meant less deep throat, but oh well. Someone earlier mentioned that anal was awesome, but that isn’t something I’ve done since the piercing… Girl didn’t want it, plus I was always worried about a piece of poopoo getting hung up in the ring. one girl I dated used the birth control NuvaRing. When the gauge was still thin it kind of made it painful when the ring hit her birth control. And my ring also caused me to drag her ring out, or caused her ring to get hung up on mine and wrap around my Johnson like a climax control cock ring. Some people complained about the ball/bead turning too far going inside their pee hole… I never noticed it during sex, but when I was jacking it I enjoyed the bead popping in and out of the uretha. It was a different sensation than anything I had ever felt before the PA.
    I eventually got tired of pissing all over the place and took the PA out, but by then the I was gauged to a 2g. For about two years it was left with no jewelry and never closed completely. I always had to plug the hole with my finger when pissing standing up, or piss on my balls when sitting down. And the large gauge also changed the shape of my uretha hole so that my stream was never perfect again. Kinda shaped like a teardrop instead of a straight slit. About two-three months ago I decided to put jewelry back in. The piercing hole had closed to a 14g. Two days later I went to a 12g. Then about a week to a 10g. Three more weeks to an 8g. Now I’m waiting on 6g. Being deployed makes it hard to get stuff shipped to me in a reasonable amount of time. So I am limited on my jewelry. I’m stuck with non-countersunk internally threaded curved barbells, I wasn’t able to find countersunk BB and I’m too cheap to order new pliers and CBRs right now. But in two weeks when I get home, hopefully it will be smooth sailing… This time up to a 0g!!
    And one last thing… The actual act of getting pierced didnt hurt at all. If the piercer didn’t tell me I wouldn’t have even known he was finished, cause there was no way in hell I was gonna watch. I didn’t even notice he put the follower into my pee hole, I assumed he used lube. The piercer commented that he was surprised I didn’t bleed at all… But when I woke up the next morning it looked like a had a heavy flow period, blood was everywhere, soaked down to the mattress even. I also recommend tight fitting underwear during the healing process to prevent it from flopping around and banging off your leg or whatever. Moving the ring around dry hurts for the first few days.
    Hope this helped

Clark41075 on May 19th, 2012 at 10:23 pm
  19. Hi guys. I’m now up to a 4g circular barbell (about a month ago). It seems all well and good except that I still notice small stains in my biefs. Someone said it was part of the healing process - lymph drainage. I also noticed how crusty it gets. My question is when does it stop?

Also, does anyone experience a decrease in sensitivity when you masturbate? I seem to have lost sensitivity to the point I just give up.

John on September 8th, 2012 at 3:50 pm
  20. John,
    I’ve had my PA for 15 years now (00g) and crusty, occasional stains are quite normal. Just my opinion, but I think it’s smegma accumulated because of the tunnel now in the tip of your cock.

Some guys lose sensitivity while others gain it. IF my jewelry is in (rarely because it’s heavy), my cock is tingling when I nut! And I cum more, longer and farther. But every guy is wired different.

FWIW, the Guiche is supposed to be the most pleasurable male piercing.

Isaac on December 10th, 2012 at 4:16 am
  21. My PA was done with a 10 ga cbr . 6 months later I put in a 6 ga curved barbell with no problem. A few months later I’m trying to put in a 2 ga curved barbell, but without much luck. I’ve tried lube but it still wont go through. I’ve should’ve gotten a 4 I think…

kenneth on March 10th, 2013 at 2:52 pm
  22. So I just got my pa don’t last Friday. I have no piercings or tats. Not being a fan of needles I decided to get one so I could have something fun and different. I was pierced with a 12g needle and he put in a 10g 16mm barbel. As I was laying there I looked at it and said to him that it didn’t seem long enough for when I get erect. (Grower not a shower lol) so he went to grab a 10g 19mm barbel. He didn’t have one… But he did have a 8g 19mm barbel. It was my only option so I did it. It hurt like hell changing the jewelry out 10 mins after my piercing. So my pain comes and goes, I’m wondering how long it was before you guys started to feel a pleasurable sensation when messing with it after it’s pierced.

Andrew on April 3rd, 2013 at 2:11 pm
  23. I got my PA in January. The piercing was with a 10ga needle and a 7/8″, 12 curved barbell was inserted. By the Middle of February I had gone up to a 8ga 1/2″ circular barbell. At the end of April, I went to a 6ga 1/2″ circular barbell. The beginning of this month I stretched it to a 4ga, again a 1/2″ circular barbell. My goal is a 0ga

Jim on May 8th, 2013 at 11:43 pm
  24. Well, I’ll proby be told Im stupid , but 3 week ago, my pa was self done with a 8 gage.i followed all the cleaning guide lines and its doing just fine. as for the pain, none or very little.in another 2 weeks im going to a 6 gage.

Keith on May 29th, 2013 at 11:01 pm
  25. Had my PA since jan. self-done with 14ga. Stretched to 12ga in two weeks. 12-10 2 weeks later. 10-8 4 weeks after that. Today just put in 6ga (5/8″)Cbr and I lubed it up really well. A little painful after it “popped” thru but fine now. Love the look and feel. Sex was good with the barbell but the ball always slid into my piss slit and that left a bunch of barbell hanging below my head. Snags were frequent and painful. My 2 cents…

Marco on June 13th, 2013 at 6:58 pm
  26. Did my own PA the first of June. I have been curious about this piercing for some reason for many years. Pierced at 8ga stretched to 6 gauge right away. Just tapered to a 4ga today. All I can say is I wish I would have done this years ago. Love the look and feel. Gonna wait for a few months, let gravity do some work, then gauge up to a 2ga.

finallydidapa on July 11th, 2013 at 8:28 pm
  27. I had my PA done yesterday, and OUCH! I’ve had a frenum piercing for many years now and really love it - so does the wife but decided to go the whole hog and have a PA. Margie the piercer was very very good, put me at ease etc etc and did the piercing with what she said was a standar 2mm needle (12 gauge). That, was ok , but that’s when the problem started. I had brought my own titanium jewellery was 3.2mm BCR (8gauge) with 22mm diametre. Neither of us had thought anything about the size of my BCR and it was something she had never come across before - like putting a square peg into a round hole. She tried find and suitable 12 or even 10 gauge ring or barbel, but this being South Africa, a previous employee had walked out with a bunch of stock. So I’m laying there for 30 mins whilst she’s trying to find stuff. Eventually she used some local anestetic and numbed everything and slowly worked my BCR through the piercing without tearing it. Didn’t bleed much then but poured out loads of blood later in the evening. Also it’s currently very very tender and feels very strange but i guess that will soon sooth out as it heals. I’m very happy with it so far and I also have no plans at present to stretch it, but we’ll see!

Alan on July 18th, 2013 at 3:57 am
  28. I had a PA done on Wednesday. 10G BBR (19mm size). Titanium. Bled quite a bit during first 24 hours but then stopped. Keeping up the soaking regime and the bruises now going, As many others have said before: why did I wait so long? I love it. Will go up to 8 G in early October. Happy customer!

Barrie on August 11th, 2013 at 11:33 am