taking out septum piercing

«« Body Modification Research Paper    Tattoo font »»

Saturday September 6th, 2008 @ 10:05 AM

Filed under: Nose

ive had my septum pierced fro almost

3 weeks, i need to go to the dentist

and that means someone can seee up my nose

im hiding my septum have been doing itquite well

but im afraid im going to need to take it off for

about 30 minutes at the most, will this be ok??

realistically….survery says…..nope.

3 weeks old is far too soon to take your piercing out for any duration of time, as soon as you start taking it out…it’s going to start tightening up. Now you could technically take it out but immediately afterwards you’ll need to visit a studio an have them taper it open, which won’t be too pleasant an experience for you.

ultimately though its your nose, so your call…Personally, I wouldn’t advise taking it out though.

Posted by Warren Hiller | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

12 Responses to “taking out septum piercing”

1. i was afraid of dentists seeing my nose ring too when it was flipped up, but if they did, they didn’t say anything. i wouldn’t worry about it. they’re kinda more focused on your mouth than what you have up your nose.

xtine on September 6th, 2008 at 11:18 am
  2. put a plug in it.
    I’ve been to the dentist with my septum ring, and theres usually no problem.

jay on September 6th, 2008 at 1:56 pm
  3. I had to go to the dentist around 3 or 4 weeks after getting my septum pierced too, and he’s friendly with my parents, so I had to make sure he didn’t see my piercing.

Go for a clear glass retainer, he didn’t notice a thing.

Laura on September 7th, 2008 at 1:42 am
  4. I’d go with a plug too.

But really, is your dentist going to care enough about it to tell your parents anyway? (I’m assuming thats what your worried about?) How is urgent is your appointment? COuld it be delayed?

Michelle on September 7th, 2008 at 2:50 am
  5. jay: it seems the individual is trying to hide it so that it is not brought up amongst the parents or something like that.

Warren on September 7th, 2008 at 9:01 am
  6. Do dentists have the same docter-patient confidentiality as physicians? You should just be able to ask them not to say anything to your parents, if they do notice it. That is, IF they notice it. I highly doubt they would, if you have jewellry that can be flipped up (which is pretty obvious that you do).

Kim on September 7th, 2008 at 10:19 pm
  7. Unless it’s a minor, they are forbidden by law to tell others when the patient specifically tell them to do so.

that said… if it’s a minor, they can tell parents without breaking the law.

but i doubt your dentist would want to stir up drama with you and your parents. Just put a clear retainer in, and if he notices it, tell him not to tell your parents. I don’t think he’ll tell your parents; he wouldn’t want to stir up needless drama. Furthermore, he wouldn’t want an unhappy patient!

Clara on September 9th, 2008 at 5:53 am
  8. its too soon to change the piercing i think is the problem here. so flip it and i wouldnt suggest changing or taking it out.

knucklehead nick on September 11th, 2008 at 6:38 pm
  9. Honestly, why would your dentist give a damn about what’s up your nose? I’ve had my septum for some years now and the man never seems to have noticed, or if he had he didnt care much.

So dont worry, its gun b k.

Celestial on September 24th, 2008 at 6:07 am
  10. I’m actually a Dental Nurse, and have personally had my septum peirced for a few months now. I can tell you from knowledge that when our team is looking in your mouth, you could have cotton balls in your nose and chances are we wont be paying attention unless you stopped breathing. We dont have the time or interest to look up your nose when there is a job we’re there to do. My advice, don’t worry about it, its highly unlikely that the dentist would bother mentioning it even if the DID happen to see it, because it has no adverse reaction to your MOUTH, and is therefore inconsequential to what he’s there for.
    Hope that helps :)

Missy on October 6th, 2008 at 9:31 am
  11. Why would you care if your dentist saw your septum? It’s not like they can tell anyone. I have a split tongue and my dentist assured me he wouldn’t tell anyone. *shrugs* Not like it’s a big deal.

katy prost on February 2nd, 2009 at 11:14 pm
  12. dont worry about them seeing it. Dentists focus on your teeth so even if they say anything its merely their opinion.
    I have snakebites and my septum pierced and he tells me my lip piercings are bad for my teeth, but he’s never sat there and told me to take them out and never put them back in. Any good dentist will not try and enforce anything upon you. So if he does mention your septum, he’s just an arsehole.

Kelly on November 19th, 2012 at 9:15 am