Pimples on newish Tattoo

«« Stretching lobes with electric tape?    snake bites »»

Monday August 11th, 2008 @ 12:08 PM

Filed under: Tattoos

I got tattooed about two to three weeks ago and for about the past week I keep getting pimples on my tattoo. It wasn’t shaved, so it isn’t like razor burn. & I got it done by the amazing David Bruhel (who was featured on the site a few days back). Would there be any other reasons then bad pigment? Or whatever I’m using on it (which isn’t anything for the past week). They pop up randomly and in different places, I think I’ve had about five now.

There could be a few reasons.
If it’s not from being shaved - it could be from NOT being shaved.
It could be from the vaseline or whatever Dave used to lubricate the area during the tattoo.
It could be from the soap and/or moisturizer you’re using now for aftercare or it could be an allergic reaction to the adhesive on the bandage you were wrapped up with after the tattoo.

A problem with the pigment would likely result in some rejection of the colour and some seriously goopy looking tattoo.

If you suspect you have an infection of some sort, your doctor will be able to best diagnose that.
In the meantime, be sure you’re cleaning it once a day with a very mild, unscented soap and keep it moisturized as needed with a thin layer of unscented moisturizer (Avoid petroleum jellies and balms)

Posted by Lexci Million | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

7 Responses to “Pimples on newish Tattoo”

1. An antibiotic cream perhaps? Well, here’s the deal with that. Many, many, many people use antibiotic creams in the aftercare of their new tattoo (like Neosporin, Polysporin, Bacitracin, Bepanthen, etc.). An antibiotic, however, is for killing bacteria and these may not, hopefully will not, be present. Antibiotic creams do not necessarily promote healing. in addition, in a very small percentage of people who are allergic to certain antibiotics, a relatively high dose through all those punctures in the skin can lead to the ultimate in allergic reactions, anaphylactic shock—a full-body allergic reaction that is characterized by breathing difficulty and plummeting blood pressure. So, while an antibiotic isn’t really necessary unless an infection develops, it will do no harm unless you just happen to be allergic to it.

tattoo aftercare on September 6th, 2008 at 5:15 pm
  2. Hi I got a tatto done in January ‘11 and its now May & I still get whiteheads ONLY on my tattoo? Why is this? I dont get pimples on my other arm & the whiteheads are only in the area of my tat.

Stacey on May 4th, 2011 at 12:48 pm
  3. I have several tattoos and have noticed a few times that acne will pop up around and under the ink while it is healing. I’ve usually left it alone and it doesn’t damage the ink. I currently have a tattoo that’s over a week old and i’ve noticed a big white pimple appear over the edge of one of the lines, in part of the ink. I’m sure when it goes away it won’t fade the ink.

Richard on July 26th, 2011 at 9:30 pm
  4. Get them aqueezed really adictive jus go for touch up on tattoo jobs a gudn

john on May 31st, 2012 at 2:39 pm
  5. The pimples are definitely from the after care products. I have 10 tattoos and this has happened to me on both of my chest tattoos and also on my shoulder. I would also say placement plays a role, both of my sides and the insides of my arms healed with no breakouts. I’ve never noticed any permanent marks from the pimples.

Kyle on February 17th, 2013 at 11:06 pm
  6. Kyle…how long did your pimples stay there??

sarah on February 20th, 2013 at 7:30 am
  7. I have a tattoo a little over a month old,about 3 weeks ago I started to break out only on that one specific tattoo (upper arm). I tried everything,changing sheets,lotions,soap (all unscented)..nothing helped it. Even switched to aveeno non-comedogenic lotion with oatmeal to help cure acne,still no luck. Only thing that seems to relieve it is just letting it breathe..wash it,and leave it alone. It’s just annoying because I take care of all my ink the same but it’s that ONE specific tattoo that just hugs acne :( any clue why??

Dregz on August 12th, 2013 at 11:17 pm