Ashes in tattoo ink?

«« Tattooing over scars    pubic question »»

Sunday August 3rd, 2008 @ 8:45 PM

Filed under: Tattoos

I recently lost my beloved dog who I’d had since I was 7. I am considering a memorial paw print tattoo and have been trying to come to a conclusion about whether including her cremation ashes in the tattoo ink is a good idea or not.

In my reasearch, I’ve read a lot saying that it’s considered to be safe. However, it also seems that it is difficult to find an artist willing to mix a small amount of ash into tattoo ink. If it’s a relatively safe practice, why the hesitation? Also, I’ve heard of people baking ashes for an additional few hours at a high temperature in their oven just before the tattoo- is this a good precaution to take?

Thanks in advance!

I’ve worked with a few artists who have done this for people; a handful of times total. In all the cases I can remember, the ashes were those of relatives or friends…no animals. I doubt there is really any appreciable difference between the two.

I can’t speak with any scientific authority, but I don’t see where it should cause a problem. If the ashes are a result of a proper creamation, there will be no harmful pathogens present in the ashes. None of the artists I’ve worked with ever reported hearing about any problems from their clients.

At the same time, while it is probably safe, you also have to respect the artists’ decision to not use something in the tattooing process that they are unsure of or are at all uncomfortable with. Most tattoo artists with respect for their craft and their clients have a sense of responsibility when it comes to the healing and longevity of the tattoo. Many artists may also want to avoid doing it from a legal point of view. If something does go wrong as a result of using the ashes, many people will start looking for someone to blame, instead of taking personal responsibility for the choice they made.

So while it may not seem like a big deal to you, you aren’t the only person involved in the process.

I also have a feeling you’ll be able to find someone willing to include the ashes if you continue your search.

Posted by Derek Lowe | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

69 Responses to “Ashes in tattoo ink?”

1. I am a biologist not a doctor, but properly cremated ashes should be no less biocompatible than regular tattoo ink. If you are concerned about the current sterility of the ashes, you can try and have them “oven bake” sterilized as opposed to (wet) autoclaving. If you know anyone who works in a hospital, lab, or large medical centre this shouldn’t be too hard, and will ensure no biohazardous traces remain in the ashes.

redeye on August 3rd, 2008 at 9:25 pm
  2. this is really interesting…

fuck_life on August 3rd, 2008 at 10:24 pm
  3. Thanks for this question. I have been pondering getting a tribute portrait of my ferret and having some of his ashes mixed in. I was under the impression that most artists won’t have a problem doing it, but this question reminded me that my search might be a bit tougher than I originally thought (although I am willing to take responsibility for any consequences of doing this).

Aggie on August 4th, 2008 at 12:15 am
  4. From my own knowledge of chemistry and heat treatments…

Crematorium ashes (which are actually just the calcined bones ground up) should be 100% sterile. Not even anthrax spores or BSE prions can survive cremation. Unless the ashes have been exposed to infection after they have cooled, I can’t see that baking in a domestic oven would make much of a difference.

My next thought was that the ashes might be a bit alkaline, but from other comments, apparently not.

So the only other potential bugbear I can think of are pervasive semi-volatiles like mercury. If your dog had any mercury amalgam fillings, or any other artificial implants, they can vaporise or form nasty combustion products (dioxins etc) and while most of it will go up the flue, some will end up impregnated into the ash. It might also pick up something from a previous cremation. The only way to be sure is to get it tested.

Elmando on August 4th, 2008 at 9:46 am
  5. I have two friends who have been thinking about this for a while, and just yesterday another friend mentioned she’d been looking into it! I had no idea this was such a “common” thing for people to want to do. That said, none of my friends have yet found tattoo artists who is willing to do it, and they live on opposite sides of the country. So good luck with your searches everyone! I’m sure if you keep looking you will find good artists who are willing to do this! And thanks for the info about sterilization and testing. None of my friends have even thought about getting their ashes tested or whether or not they might have become contaminated since the creamtion.

Also, the interesting-ness of this post has reminded me that at some point a while back when Ask BME first started admin said they were working on transferring the old questions and answers from QOD. I know it takes a while, but I was wondering if that still in the works? A lot of the questions on the new Aks BME were answrered many times over the years that QOD was active and it was always helpful to be able to search and read related Q&A strains and find additional information. For example, the question posted a couple questions below on tattooing over skin discoloration, answered by Warren, I remember there was a LOT of good information in old QOD not included in Warren’s answer from when I asked the question. The responses mixed with the older information about the process and results eventually convinced me to not do it. I don’t remember it all or I would post it myself. :).

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

praxis on August 4th, 2008 at 3:19 pm
  6. WELL??? did you do it????
    i just heard about this today and cannot wait to ask my favorite shop if they will do this AWESOME procedure!!

3bigdogmom on August 10th, 2008 at 8:57 pm
  7. from paw prints to portraits,I’ve seen both done,more than once and never seen a problem. might i suggest using a glazed mortar&pestle,the blackest sumi ink and no more than a small ink cap of your friend! (for legal reasons i can’t recommend this/but you know!) MOST TATTOOED FOLK HAVE A TRUSTED FREIND TO DO THEIR INK- but don’t just trust anybody that will tattoo you..make sure they have skills(nothing worse than a *^&$%#up memorial). our pet will too soon be a tattoo i fear.
    peace

P.M.&Addie on August 13th, 2008 at 1:43 pm
  8. i will find out soon as i have a consult next week and i will post back. i cannot wait! i REALLY am praying they will do it for me……

3bigdogmom on September 1st, 2008 at 8:20 pm
  9. I havn’t done it yet, but I’m still hoping to eventually. I’ve recently moved to a new state to start college, so money is a major issue at the moment and I havn’t had a change to scout out local artists yet.

3bigdogmom, I’m interested to hear what you find out- my email is anna.sv.az@gmail.com. Let me know how it turns out!

Anna on September 10th, 2008 at 1:04 am
  10. Okay so I DID IT! My Tattoo artist was happy to do for me, she is so cool!!. Anyway, it feels so special. Together forever for sure! I cannot stop staring at it. It healed no differently than my other one. If you can I say YES!! DO IT!:))
    ITS INCREDIBLE!

3bigdogmom on September 26th, 2008 at 8:06 pm
  11. YEAH!

3bigdogmom on September 26th, 2008 at 8:08 pm
  12. My Tattoo artist was happy to do for me, she is so cool!!. Anyway, it feels so special. Together forever for sure! I cannot stop staring at it. It healed no differently than my other one. If you can I say YES!! DO IT!:))
    ITS INCREDIBLE!

3bigdogmom on September 26th, 2008 at 8:09 pm
  13. you want to look for an artist or shop that does ‘tribal’ tattoos as that is what this is classified as in the tattoo world. and they only use a tiny bit of ash.
    WELL WORTH THE HUNT! it feels very comforting to have the love of my life with me always…..miss ya sweet baby joe

3bigdogmom on September 26th, 2008 at 8:30 pm
  14. congrats, i’m glad everything worked out so well :) let us know how the tatt turns out in a few months after healing!

your artist may have preferred “tribal” designs because of the ease of using relatively large amounts of ash in solid black areas… but there’s no reason the same thing couldn’t be done as a grayscale portrait, paw prints, biomech, thick outlines in colour new school tatts, etc, as your tastes demand.

that said, solid black work is pragmatic, retaining as much of the ashes as possible, probably the best choice for you personally - i’d love a link to the final product! (i’m sure you’ve submitted it to BME, haven’t you? :D) best wishes, i hope the special ink turns out great - i’m glad you found someone happy to help so easily :)

redeye on September 27th, 2008 at 7:26 pm
  15. well…i used the term ‘tribal’ to help the others find a shop willing to do it. My memorial tat is an exact copy of his giant paw print in his brindle colors and his name all of which contains his ashes. I also got a red heart also containing his ashes. i cant wait to share pics but i have not yet posted any yet, as they have just completed the healing stage, which was completely uneventful and normal. I should be able to get something up on BME this week or next. Thanks..
    cheers
    :)))

3bigdogmom on September 28th, 2008 at 3:33 pm
  16. well it’s done,our best friend fought the good fight, guess it was time. we’ve gotten our tattoos(banners & portraits),healed great,having a lot of tattooers as friends helped. mixed reactions from the crowd, from “wish I’d” to “gross how could you” #*@%’em all! at least we know she’s always w/us!
    PREP;ask them to please separate some ashes before sealing box,
    pour some cremains thru a NEW gold coffee filter,then powderize(is that a word?)using a NEW or STERALIZED (can you imagine cumin or curry under your skin?) mortar & pestle,please store in sterile container till ready to use. whether its your pet,mom,friend or mate you know you want it,go get it,do you care what the civies think? stay gold@:}=

P.M.&Addie on October 10th, 2008 at 5:15 pm
  17. Oh P.M & Addie, I am so sorry for your loss. I learned REAL quick who to tell and who NOT to tell about the ashes. I actually had a good sized ‘chunk’ put in on purpose so that i could feel him in there. i LOVE it. I am glad you did it, together forever:)…hey if you have any ashes left over there is a website that sells jewlery that holds the ashes. i have a beautiful heart shaped pendant with a paw print on the front and it holds a bit of ash and fur. ashestoashes.com. AWESOME memorials. again i am sorry for your loss.

3bigdogmom on October 16th, 2008 at 1:01 pm
  18. thanks 3big,addie will be the last,,i’d rather have made a hand modifcation(like meybe a rolling finger)than to lose our best gal,i feel better knowing that the o.l. & i have her w/us. thanks again back later maybe,Peace P & M

P.M.&Addie on October 24th, 2008 at 1:55 pm
  19. Hey all I just went through all the posts and i am now a 100% sure i want to get a tattoo for the loss of my dad. What i plan to get is a bass flipping out of water and im still dibating on what to put in the banner under it like “Father’s lil fish” or just “In loveing memory of Dad” im still debating but give me some ideas!
    thanks

R.H.F. on January 6th, 2009 at 8:15 pm
  20. And its also going to contain some ashes too just need to find an artist willing!

R.H.F. on January 6th, 2009 at 8:16 pm
  21. 2 weeks ago my friend arrived from australia and brought with her her brothers ashes who died just over a year ago. having heard me talk about how i want my ashes to be put into a tattoo when i die we decided to do the same with her brothers. They were sifted first to remove the larger pieces. Seen as a body is cremated at such a high heat we thought the least they were tampered with the better as not to allow pathogens so straight into the ink they went. we did the tattoo friday night and had no problems. I rang her last night being thursday to see how it was and she said healed, no flakeys left nothing. she had no swelling no problems….It was probably the most awesome session I ve ever done and the reason and meaning behind it…. well the tattoo speaks for itself.

MISS PQ on April 3rd, 2009 at 12:08 am
  22. i too have been wanting this done and am having no luck finding an artist willing too do it it is my fathers ashes they say it is a health issue i really dont understand what could be unsanitary???? i will keep looking thou!

jennie thompson on May 31st, 2009 at 7:05 am
  23. I have just discovered this wonderful idea and have been looking for some way to keep my little brother with me always. he passed away 5 years ago at the age of 30 .. i came right home and had a memorial tattoo done for him but was still searching for another way to keep him close.. i thought of the diamonds you can have made from the cremated ashes but i don’t often wear jewelry so when i seen a show about this on tv last night i cried.. this IS it. I am calling my favorite tattoo artist tomorrow to see if he will do this for me .
    I was wondering if anyone out there has done a tattoo with cremated ashes as a diabetic ? I am concerned about not healing but at the same time .. i have 5 tattoos at the moment and none of those gave me any trouble so i am pretty sure this one wouldn’t either … what do you think ?

Jeannie Mang on July 3rd, 2009 at 12:59 am
  24. i too am desperately looking for an artist that will do human ashes —i have had no luck all say that can’t cause of health issue ???? if anyone knows of an artist in the greater kansas city/st joesph mo area please respond–many thanks

jennie thompson on July 3rd, 2009 at 3:59 pm
  25. Does anyone know of a website that will narrow down which tatto shops will do this? I live in Florida this would be consider my second tattoo so I don’t have any artist to ask. I would like to use my father’s ashes so I always have him with me.

Sandra C. on July 5th, 2009 at 11:52 pm
  26. This wouldn’t be something advertised on the shops list of services, Sandra… it would be something that you’d have to specifically request; but be prepared to be shot down. It’s not exactly standard practice.

Shawn Porter on July 7th, 2009 at 4:53 pm
  27. after all ive seen…artists will not do tattoos with cremation ashes in the ink ..but i see no reaction issues on line or through word of mouth…chemists say it should be fine ive read…im researching because im getting ready to do 3 of them in half an hour….i will have them sign a statement on my release form, but they (as most) are willing to accept the risk and responsibilitiy…..dans tattoo shop 208 762 3999 feel free to call and see how things went…peace dan

dans tattoo shop on July 11th, 2009 at 8:11 pm
  28. If you have just thought about this and havent done it yet know this. This can cause serious infections and can make you very ill. It can also mess up the tattoo by the ink not sticking and leaving a scare in the tattoo which CAN NOT be fixed.

Angela on July 15th, 2009 at 1:46 pm
  29. Thanks for asking this question. I’m a little young to be getting a tattoo but in a few years im going to be getting a memorial for my mom. I over heard my brother talking on the phone about it to one of his friends, and this gave me all the information i needed.

victoria on July 23rd, 2009 at 11:09 pm
  30. Just last night while talking to a friend of mine in Fla. she had said a friends son was saying he was interested in doing the same w/his moms ashes. I perked up w/this conversation because I will do the same w/my husbands ashes(when the time comes - he is older than me — Outlaw Biker World–enough said!! - and I don’t see a problem w/getting a tatoo artist to do this for me because they are all around bikers. I have 8 tatoos and 2 of them done by the bikers themselves and some done by a bikers O.L.- Talked this over w/my husband and decided that I w/have something done where it w/represent HIM but not his name spelled out (which is already on me anyway)! as he told me that life will go on and someday I w/be w/someone else and I know DAMM WELL that person w/not have me cover this up! I have been married 3 times and in my late 40″s and I treasure this marraige and my husband! So between now and then we are going to decide what tat. w/ be on me - but till — Later!( Oh I forgot to say that I have my siamese cats ashes but have had them in a bag and in a designer box since “99″ but could not do anything w/them by now because they have been contaminated by now, (I have opened the bag so much) but do have a 10 yr. old cat and when that time comes I w/do the tat. w/her ashes.— And everyone good luck! by the way check that website out - pretty cool stuff on there! - Later!

Karen on July 30th, 2009 at 4:34 pm
  31. I have a tattoo artist friend that is willing to do tattoos with ashes. If you’re looking and live in the Boston area check out Jason Newell on facebook. Pics of his work are available on his page.

Kristina on August 30th, 2009 at 4:16 pm
  32. i did the tattoos as previously stated….no issues…..everything went just fine…i did do more research with a client who is a chem.professor and the only major concern was in the transporting of the ashes….i think a sterile specimen container is the way to go…..if the client assumes the risk ill do it again!!! peace dans tattoo shop

dans tattoo shop on October 8th, 2009 at 9:43 pm
  33. Kristina,

I’m in the Bostonish area but am not able to find your friend on FB I have been looking and as we all know getting bad feedback. any info would be great.

Thanks

Bruce on October 15th, 2009 at 5:00 pm
  34. [...] Either way, they won’t dissolve in the ink but instead remain suspended. In a blog post at Ask BME (Body Modification Ezine), someone comments that she “had a good sized ‘chunk’ put in on purpose so that I [...]

» Using Cremains in Memorial Tattoos Death Reference Desk on October 25th, 2009 at 1:31 pm
  35. thank you all for your input… my doggie of 13 years passed away last week, we just got his ashes back and my father came up with this idea… I think its an absolutely beautiful way of honoring our loved one. I have a tattooist friend who has done majority of my art work, so I plan to ask him. I hope he will accept :) thank you again for all the helpful information!

inkedcanvas on November 6th, 2009 at 3:26 am
  36. DOES ANYONE KNOW AN ARTIST HOW WILL DO THIS. MY SISTER SUFFERS FROM THE RECENT LOSS OF OUR MOM, WHAT A WAY TO FEEL THAT CLOSENESS. I WANT TO DO THIS FOR HER.

DEB HENDRIX on December 16th, 2009 at 11:29 am
  37. This week I had cremains of my horse put into a tattoo. The only trouble I noticed from the tattooist was that the ashes made the ink thicker. He had to redo a few of the spots. I am having no problems and the tattoo appears to be healing just fine.

Rachel McMullin on January 2nd, 2010 at 7:56 pm
  38. Hey All ~ I am a tattoo artist who is interested in offering this AWESOME opportunity for the ultimate memorial. Need to research and network with others more about it, so please contact me with your feedback and info. I’m also a mortuary science student and want to incorporate this option for creative, meaningful funeral services in the near future. I plan to do only “Green” undertakings and have 25 acres of Adirondack land that I am turning into a Natural Burial ground. The intimately primal way of honoring a loved one by preserving their essence beneath our skin, gives a profoundly new meaning to the term eternal ink! Dana@Alchemistress.com

Dana Wakefield on January 3rd, 2010 at 3:06 pm
  39. hey 3bigdogmom, o k its been over a year,so we got a new friend,we’ll chec back in hopefully 15-20 years!! take care mr.p. another tattoo

p.m.& mrs.munster on January 16th, 2010 at 5:01 pm
  40. I actually had my mom’s ashes put in the ink for my tattoo I got 01-10-10. I have not had a single problem at all. My tattoo has healed up really nice!! Also if anyone if looking for an artist who will do this…There is one up in northern California. You can email me to get his info if you are interested. shanel77@yahoo.com

Shanel on February 4th, 2010 at 8:56 pm
  41. Hey people. I just lost my beloved dog on Saturday. My intial plan was to do a scarifaction on myself then to rub her ashes into the wound so that when it heals they would be visable though the skin. Having had and done scars on myself and other before I thought this is the perfect thing for me. After reading up about it I found out it was called packing and is commonly done with clay or cigar ash. The only downside to this is that it forms extremley large keiloids as the body is trying to push the foreign object out as its an open wound which is something I’m familar with and can say don’t look nice. I am gonna opt for the tattoo option cos I think I’ll be happier with the end result more. I’m planning on doing this on either Tuesday or Wednesday next week so I’ll post back once it’s done.

Cheri on February 18th, 2010 at 11:18 am
  42. I’m so glad I found this question on here! My 13 year old dog just passed away a few weeks ago and I have been considering getting her ashes mixed in for the portrait of her I’m getting. It’s been hard to find much information on it at all. I’ll be going to talk to my artist tomorrow, really hope he’s cool with doing it!

Brad on March 29th, 2010 at 12:25 am
  43. I am getting a memorial tattoo with my Mom’s ashes. She was my best friend and she passed away last month. I live in the lower mainland in British Columbia and I have found a few artists that will do this procedure. There are a couple in Vancouver, BC and one in Langley, BC. I cannot say their names to protect their privacy.
    There are A LOT of people who have serious moral issues with this being done…so that being said, I thought I would let you know what cities the artists were in, and you can search them out for yourself! Google “Tattoo Shops in Vancouver BC”
    Good luck everybody!!
    And my sincerest condolences to all of you who have lost loved ones!!

Lassy on May 18th, 2010 at 1:15 pm
  44. Does anyone know of a tattoo artist that will do this in Southern California??

erica on May 19th, 2010 at 4:04 am
  45. My niece committed suicide June 25th. She has been cremated. My sister, my niece’s mom, has agreed to allow me to do it. My niece was like a daughter to me, being the reason why I want to do it. I want her name written on my neck. First tattoo artist I sought out is willing to do it. I feel like she will live on in my skin till I die. My issue is with the ashes remaining in the left over ink, needles, wipes used to remove blood and excess ink, as well as in the tubes of the tattooing machine. I figure I can bury these over my parents’ grave, but I may have to acquire the tattooing machine tubes. Tattoo eta: next Tuesday.

Max on July 13th, 2010 at 3:14 am
  46. I plan on getting this done tomorrow with my the ashes of my father. I found someone willing to do this for me, I guess I am just a bit worried. I have heard mixed comments and warnings. After reading all the comments I think I am going to do it! I have always been a Daddy’s Girl and I want to always have him with me. I hope it all works out!!!!!

mrenee on July 29th, 2010 at 9:01 pm
  47. as far as (leftover remains) disposal, remember ashs2ashes rinse what u can, burn the rest & water some plants !! be at peace with your desision.

p.m.& mrs.munster on August 24th, 2010 at 5:40 pm
  48. I’m a tattoo artist myself and have no problem with using cremated ashes in my ink if asked. At some point in the future I will even have this done myself in my memorial tattoo when it is recoloured.
    Ashes are a natural substance and shouldn’t cause any problems mixed into the inks. xxx

Em - Artistic Licence on December 6th, 2010 at 7:40 pm
  49. I think it’s an amazing idea. I just lost my little angel kitty of 9 years (my partner had her for 12 years) 3 days ago. The emotions are indescribable. I’m good friends with my tattoo artist who offered to tattoo something to remember her by and that he would mix some of her ashes. I’d never heard of it, he showed me where he has his dad’s ashes. Suddenly it didn’t seem crazy anymore and it’s actually helped knowing that I’ll always have my Taffy with me. But man do I miss her.

mb00 on January 31st, 2011 at 3:20 am
  50. So I see that some of you have gotten this done. Has anyone posted any pics? Or can you? Even send me some b_kleidon@hotmail.com I would like to see the finished product after healing. Sounds awesome!

bk on April 29th, 2011 at 4:08 pm
  51. I am trying to find a tattoo artist in the Long Island, NY area who is willing to provide this service. Any suggestions/leads are appreciated. pookus1@aol.com.

pook on May 17th, 2011 at 3:15 pm
  52. Does anyone know of a good artist in the Nashville, TN or Green Bay, WI ares that do this?

MollysMom on May 21st, 2011 at 3:08 pm
  53. i think allot of tattooists will not do it as it is another humans dead body they will be handeling… and allot arnt ok with that but they will say health issues instead, i work in a tattoo parlour and have just had my dog pass away so we will be doing a large memorial piece of her ashes included, im sure more artists will be willing to do animal ashes rather than human…. you could always lie hahaha

jess on August 10th, 2011 at 7:08 am
  54. My beautiful wife passed away last month of a brain aneurism at 36 years old. Then my father, of cancer 12 days later. plan to get at least 4 ash filled memorial tats in memory of my wife and one of my dad. f**k the risks I cant wait. The first will be on my upper right shoulder blade. in german /w german font saying Sieg uber schmerzen (Triumph Over Agony) after that one comes out good ill post a link 2 the pic and move on to the next from there. this is such a beautiful idea. RIP Heidi see you in a minute Babe.

Jeffrey on August 17th, 2011 at 3:24 am
  55. My mom is fighting a losing battle with cancer currently and I had heard that people could get tattoos with some ash mixed in…I talked to my tattoo artist about it and he said he was absolutely willing to do it for me and that I was not the first person to ask him.

SO for all those people looking for artists who are willing to do this, they ARE out there. This guys name is Sam and he works at Spikes Westside Ink in Maui, Hawaii. I know it’s really far away, but if any of you were to ever head out that way for a vacation, know that he’s out there and willing!!

ErickaJoy on September 2nd, 2011 at 4:13 am
  56. Today would have been my mothers51st bday she passed away last year from Brain Cancer. Yoday I am getting a portrait done of her and we will be using her ashes in the black ink!!!!! I live in Midlothian Illinois and the tattoo artist is named Tom Biggs he works outta a shop called Basement Ink its located in Oak Forest Illinois. So if anyone is interested in this procedure and live on the South Side of Chicago, Tom is the F@#*ing man!!!!!!

Bryan R on September 4th, 2011 at 9:54 am
  57. Got a tattoo yesterday in south bay CA with my dog’s ashes who passed away last month. No irritation or anything. Best decision I have ever made.

kb on September 6th, 2011 at 12:57 pm
  58. I don’t think its a matter of sterility but a matter of legality. Human remains are protected by law and only certain people are allowed to be in possesion. Just the same you’re not allowed to spread ashes where u please. To get this kind of tatoo could be a phelony.

cfrankness on September 11th, 2011 at 5:29 am
  59. Wow. These posts are great. Except for the one who said it was a horrible idea. Screw you. You obviously dont feel what everyone else on this site does. I just turned 18 and i was planning to get a tat, obviously. But i wasnt sure what until my baby died =[ my beautiful kitty i had since i was 7. She died 7 days after her birthday and i didnt even think of this idea until my cousin died and my aunt was gonna get his ashes in her tat. Its still healing and doing great it just itches soooo bad but im sure thats normal. And its interesting to me cuz its not like a normal tat cuz the black ink is rough and raised from the ashes. But i didnt put my baby through a sifter or in the oven, i couldnt even separate the ashes cuz it was the first time i even saw them. But anyway my point is GO FOR IT! U only live one life, remember ur loved ones until u see them again. <3

Tasha Washa on October 11th, 2011 at 3:55 am
  60. I know this is an old post, but wanted to add my input.
    My boyfriend recently passed away, very unexpectedly. We had him cremated and his mother gave me some of the ashes so I could use them in a tattoo. My boyfriend was a tattoo artist, and the owner of the shop he worked at was happy to do the piece for me and mix the ashes with the ink. We did about half of the tattoo, and it’s still healing, but so far I haven’t had any issues beyond the normal things with any other tattoo (itchy!!!). I’ll be going back next week to get the piece finished, and it has offered me a lot of closure on the situation. It’s not the same as a relationship ending because of a break up - I’m still in love with him, and he’s gone. But now I know I’ll have a part of him with me forever, literally.

Kaxtie on November 18th, 2011 at 6:08 pm
  61. I lost my 15-yr old son 6 months ago, when he fell from a cliff near our home. I have been wanting another tattoo that represents my children (he was a twin), and this seems like a perfect opportunity. I am in New England, and the good artists are few and very far between in my rural area, but I’m def. willing to travel. If anyone knows of an artist in my area that would do this for me, please let me know. HE CAME FROM MY BODY; WHAT COULD BE MORE LOVELY (AND NATURAL) THAN TO HAVE HIM WITH ME FOREVER?
    Thanks for any help offered…

sarah on March 2nd, 2012 at 6:00 pm
  62. My father died of cancer 2 years ago. He lived an amazing life..model, hair stylist for movie stars, he wrote 4 books, and was a country song writer..to name a few..i designed his first record label “DRAGON RECORDS”, when i was 11..he was an avid geneology researcher, and lighthouse historian.I love MEANINGFUL tattoos, and I think he would be honored that a small portion of him will be visible, and talked about..he will be visibly with me on a traditional lighthouse tattoo that i will be very proud of…to the nit-picking pessimists..get a dog and go away..

Daniel on April 10th, 2012 at 2:32 am
  63. Just got this memorial tattoo done of my mothers portrait with tiny amount of her cremains mixed in black ink. 3 hour tattoo done by my niece Talina of her grandmother! Its beautiful and I’m so proud to have it! There were no problems at all, I washed it twice a day with clean hand using antibacterial soap and kept it covered with aqua-for lotion for about a week. I love it, she is now a part of me forever, literally!

Tom McLemore on May 3rd, 2012 at 3:56 pm
  64. Do the ashes glitter when used in tattoo ink?

Woody on July 31st, 2012 at 10:22 pm
  65. My gorgeous chihuahua was attacked and killed by foxes just over q week ago. Have just been into my tattooist to book in a memorial piece and she was the one who suggested including some ashes. Not 100% sure yet but didn’t think it was so common x

rumblepack2001 on November 10th, 2012 at 12:16 pm
  66. Hi, I`m from England and am seriously considering using my late sister`s ashes to finish a memorial to her,the tattooist suggested it to me! my only small worry is that although the ashes have not been removed from the original bag, they are two years old now and also, very sadly she had Hep C.But I have pretty much made up my mind as I don`t see any comments about adverse reactions up here! I think it`s just a bit shocking to some! It was to me at first but now I`ve mulled it over it`s grown on me :)

Riannah on December 14th, 2012 at 6:47 am
  67. Hi, today I had my beloved dog’s ashes in my tattoo of his name, and although its fresh I feel so much better, it’s like the grief is gone, he is right here on my hip, where he spent his leisure time, snuggled under my right arm his head in my hip. As long as the ashes are sterile and you only need a teeny bit, I almost felt he came down from rainbow bridge as I was getting it done, maybe that was the glass of wine I had before, but it gave me immense peace. I have to thank Glen from Mink Tattoo in Middlesbrough, he was caring and sensitive to my doggies remains and quiet and perfect. Think you Glen.

Mercia on May 23rd, 2013 at 2:50 pm
  68. Can anyone help me find a tattooist that will allow me to mix my mothers ashes into the ink I’m from Wakefield hope some helps many thanks

Kenny on June 10th, 2013 at 4:39 am
  69. My dog passed away two days ago and I got the same idea to forever keep a memory of her on my body with the ashes of her before I spred them in to the ocean.
    R.I.P Shiva my dear friend you will never be forgotten <3