Nipple Piercing at 16ga?

«« Inner Labial Cleaning Tips?    Apadravya Piercing Question »»

Tuesday May 20th, 2008 @ 3:45 AM

Filed under: Nipple

Hey! I am thinking about getting a nipple piercing. The thing is, I’m a girl with rather small, very shy nipples. They aren’t inverted- but very small when they aren’t hard. (If you put your hand over my boob, you can hardly tell the nipple from the rest of my boob, you know? Anyway..) With that in mind, is 16ga too small for a nipple piercing? I think 14ga (and definitely 12ga) would look strange on me. And also, I read somewhere that some people still get a type of discharge several years after piercing. Is that often the case? Is so, that would definitely sway me away from the piercing as I like piercings that are problem-free after healing. Thanks a lot.

I would most definitely say that 16ga is too small to do on any nipple. Also know what you find to be small and very shy nipples, may not always be the case. After all how many males out there have very small nipples yet were capable of obtaining a piercing? Quite a few ;)

A experienced reputable piercer will be able to analyze the nipple size and shape and take proper measurements to make sure the right sized jewelry is used. It should be anywhere from 14ga or larger but I’ve even done nipples with 8mm (5/16) length barbell.

I would most definitely suggest a barbell to be used as well as make sure its Implant Grade Internally Threaded in jewelry style…If done correctly the piercings will heal perfectly and the inverted shape of your nipples can be corrected.

As per the discharge there can potentially be discharge every so often, everyone’s different. The only way to find out if you’ll be the one with more discharge than you’d like, is to get them done and see what happens. Discharge is often a result of skin cells and body oil and other things expelling from the actual pierced pathway. Some people produce these things more than others.

Posted by Warren Hiller | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

12 Responses to “Nipple Piercing at 16ga?”

1. I hope i’m not confusing the issue or pointing out the obvious here, but for most women when their nipple is ‘non-erect’, it’s hard to differentiate the nipple itself from the areola and surrounding tissue by feel (ie, putting your hand over your boob). It will all just feel like soft booby, that’s normal (unless i have “abnormal” nipples too?)

Yup. Warren has given some rather excellent advice there, the good man he is! =)

beans on May 20th, 2008 at 4:19 am
  2. beans-y I agree that what you’re saying DOES happen…After years of seeing boob after boob and not just in my piercing career lol there are plenty of women who’s niples when not erect are flat and can’t tell where nipple and areola are.

However that is not entirely the case as it just means your nipples developed different then some other women…Women’s nipples come in all different shapes and sizes and a qualified piercer will know how to work with all of these shapes an sizes accordingly for their specific individual needs.

Warren Hiller on May 20th, 2008 at 4:26 am
  3. i’m one of the barely-nippled men warren mentioned, i naively thought i had little chance of successfully piercing them - it turned out that they could be pierced at 8g without any difficulty.

it seems obvious now, but since they’re pierced, my nipples are 3.2mm taller and permanently extended.

when considering your jewelry, remember that if you have less raised nipples, the piercing will add bulk to them and quite likely “bring them out” - your nipples will be much more prominent, and you may find that anything less than 12g actually looks too fine. i’d err on the side of piercing too large - it’s a lot easier to downsize jewelry than to stretch or repierce!

i stress i’m just someone with holes in their nipples throwing in their 2c :)

redeye on May 21st, 2008 at 12:57 am
  4. My nipples were done at 16g with CBR’s and they’re quite happy, FWIW.

Meredith on May 25th, 2008 at 4:02 pm
  5. I got both my nipples pierced 10 days ago.
    My piercer measured my nipples with some sort of device, obviously to determine best size jewelery.
    I had them pierced at 14gauge & 9/16 (14mm).
    My piercer said that 95% of nipple piercing is done at 14g, and is standard.
    I choose barbells, but eventually want to change to CBR.
    Redeye is right, it does add bulk to your nipples so they stand out more, i love my nipples pierced and am so glad i got it done and so will you!.
    good luck.
    PIPA X

pipa on May 26th, 2008 at 9:05 am
  6. pipa: I’d really like to see the factual documentation on those statistics that your piercer claims.

I’d be more inclined to say that 95% of nipple piercings YOUR PIERCER does is at 14ga and is standard in their eyes…Perhaps because they have not been properly trained to assess nipple development and what jewelry would properly fit.

Guys remember there is no standardized training in this industry, most piercers aren’t TAUGHT to properly analyze the area and determine what jewelry size would best fit the frame.

As I said a proper piercer will analyze the area and use what’s best…I often tell my clients to imagine a picture within a frame…Too small of a frame to the picture or too big of a frame to the picture, and it will look silly and wrong.

There is absolutely ZERO standards because we are all completely different…Sure if you want to spend thousands of hours of processing every single piercing process to figure out statistically what a piercer uses more of on a “standard basis” by all means have a crack at it…But it will take you many many years.

Warren Hiller on May 26th, 2008 at 9:56 pm
  7. Hi Warren,

Many professional piercers seems to have different theory’s in relation to body piercing ,and that make it difficult for people like me. I am there to be pierced and have no idea, about the ins and outs of body modification.

My piercer said most piercings are a standard gauge size of 14 with the exception of eyebrows, tragus etc.
    Some customers she said of course choose to go the thinner 16 gauge. Nothing is set in concrete, i should of added this to the above comment.
    My piercer did analize me prior to piercing and advised me against my initial request for CBR, as she said i had large breasts and nipples and barbells would be the way to go until the healing process was complete.
    Cheers from the land down under!
    PIPA X

pipa on May 27th, 2008 at 8:11 am
  8. Pipa - most piercers in Australia use 14ga as a standard because they do not know how to use any kind of needles other than catheter/cannula needles, not because 14ga is the best choice. I often wonder why it is that so many Aussie piercers who are married to the idea of 14ga being OMG HUGE don’t question all the extremely avoidable dramas that go hand in hand with piercing at smaller gauges. Most piercers in Australia use cheap, Asian-imported externally threaded jewellery, as well, and there is absolutely no valid defense for that! Just because it’s commonly done, doesn’t make it a great idea.

CBRs really shouldn’t even be an option for nipple piercings - really, almost ANY piercing will heal easier and faster with less movement and pressure, which means a more stable piece of jewellery such as a labret stud or a barbell, rather than a ring. My clients can ask for whatever they like, they will then be instructed as to why their “choice” of inappropriately thin gauge or jewellery design isn’t going to work and why I won’t use it. They are paying for my knowledge and expertise - as you said, they generally have no idea about the ins and outs of body modification!

Lori St.Leone on May 27th, 2008 at 9:27 am
  9. Pipa: Lori said it definitely. Again a piercer should ideally analyze the place to be pierced, not even thinking about what jewelry gauge size they’ll use before hand. After analyzing the area to determine what would be suitable should they obtain said jewelry. As you said nothing is really set in concrete except for key exceptions (when barbells/studs would heal better than rings,etc) but gauge size and length is never concrete so there’s never a “standard” in the piercing industry. And anyone who claims there are standards, are vastly mistaken.

Lori: Vogue Body Piercing FTW! haha ;)

Warren Hiller on May 27th, 2008 at 8:54 pm
  10. also pipa there definitely is a lot of “difference of opinions” like you said because just as I said there’s no basic standardization of training.

In a lot of places you don’t even need any sort of training, you just set up your business license and presto you’re a licensed business to pierce,etc. So there are many very poorly trained piercers out there, quite a few consistent well trained artists and sadly there’s a much smaller amount of piercers who are on the forefront of the industry.

Warren Hiller on May 27th, 2008 at 8:57 pm
  11. Hi Lorie,
    Your comments are a real eye opener and it sounds like different piercers from all over the world have different ways, ideas & techniques to a degree.
    What if any are the advantages of piercing at a larger gauge?
    What sort of needles/equiptment is used in other gauge piercings? i am new to this whole body mod stuff, but am keen to learn and gain professional knowledge and advice, since i am planning on many more mods shortly.

Also can vch piercing be done in various gauges? i understand this also depends on the client to a degree.
    My piercer whom advised me she has been piercing apoximatley for 20 years, said that if my nipples and breasts were smaller that i could have choosen CBR, but did say barbells do tend to heal better.
    Cheers from OZ.
    PIPA X

pipa on May 28th, 2008 at 8:01 am
  12. Pipa, half the piercers in this country claim to have been piercing since the dawn of man, my thinking on it is that it really doesn’t matter how long you’ve been piercing, if you’re just repeating that same first year of experience over and over for 20-or-however-long years. One must keep up with advances in the industry in ANY industry, as well as learning from that experience, otherwise experience doesn’t count for much.

The advantages of piercing at larger gauges are many and the risks are few - less risk of rejection, easier healing, less hypertrophic scarring and irritation, to name a few. For anything larger than 14ga, your options pretty much consist of proper piercing needles (aka “blade” needles, some piercers call them that here). Quite a few shops use piercing needles (over cannulas) for all piercings, regardless of gauge. Piercers may use a freehand technique, receiving tubes, forceps - your mileage may vary there.

And yes, VCHs are often done at larger gauges, and tend to both look better and heal better, as well as be more effective stimulation-wise and are able to withstand a lot more abuse than done at a cheese-cutter 14ga size. It is VERY dependent on anatomy what size and shape of jewellery will work best for you!

Please see my response to another comment you left re: resources in Australia. :)

Lori St.Leone on May 28th, 2008 at 9:31 am