Bioplast

«« Best jewelry for a permanent corset?    Shiny new jewelry »»

Wednesday March 19th, 2008 @ 1:30 AM

Filed under: Uncategorized

Warren-

In one of your comments on a recent modblog post:

“. . .or if they are the BioPlast that is immensely rampant within the piercing community because they don’t know any better.”

Explain? I have heard nothing but good things about Bioplast so I would love to hear what you have to say.

Pull up a spot on the rug as grandpa is gonna toke on his pipe by the fireplace in his rocker and tell a story….Ok so I ain’t nobodies Grandpa and I don’t like rocking chairs and I of course don’t smoke…But I do have a lil story to tell.

A few years ago shortly after I finished my first apprenticeship my tattoo artist and I were working towards opening up our own studio. A friend of ours had a giant two level store front and they were willing to co-own it with us and help us get it all started,etc. So in my attempt to get the piercing side sorted out, I contacted VARIOUS jewelry companies for catalogs,etc. A few companies catalogs had something called “BioPlast”…When discussing it with them they talked about how great it was, that its cheap, it can be cut to size,etc. When I asked them for any confirmation in Implant Grade Specifications or Bio-Compatibility Specifications, they were unable to provide me any. Because of this I simply decided I would not want to carry said material because if it can’t be confirmed as Implant Grade or Bio-Compatible by ISO or ASTM standards, then it should not be used for piercings.

Fast forward to today, I’m a bit older and a bit more wiser and have done more serious research into the subject. But first lets separate the misconceptions that various people have involving plastic/flexible/bendy based materials:

PTFE aka Polytetrafluoroethylene aka Teflon: This is often used in the Piercing industry and not going into the environmental damage PTFE does to the environment simply put, ptfe has a implant grade specification number: ASTM F754-00. This means if a Body Piercer is going to use PTFE, this is the specific type of PTFE they are to be using…And it should be used in a manner, that does not compromise the ASTM F754-00 standard that is given to it.

Tygon aka Silicone Tubing: Tygon is a specific trademark named product, much like Teflon is a trademarked name of PTFE. There’s various types of Silicone Tubing some might be bio-compatible while others won’t, especially in a fresh piercing. For Tygon personally I think the ideal tubing type to be used is: TYGON® S-50-HL Medical/Surgical Tubing as its fully characterized to ISO 10993 and FDA guidelines for biocompatibility. There are a couple other Tygon brands that meet the same ISO guidelines,etc, but again there’s also a few Tygon bands that DON’T meet said ISO guidelines.

This brings us to the glorious world of BioPlast.

BioPlast aka Udel Polysulfone: Their website states the following: “Bioplast” Corresponding to the current state of knowledge it represents a material, which is safe for the production of piercing jewellery as far as biocompatibility is concerned (Ref.: Technical Bulletin biocompatibility of Polysulfones for Medical Devices MD 50136 R12/99). Now in my research I have been unable to locate any confirmed documentation, just speculation. Also last to my recollection any discussion in the medical world on Bio-Compatibility,etc will not be touching on the subject of piercing jewelry and the safety measures surrounding it.

In my own independent research of Udel Polysulfones I have found there to be a large variety of usages for said material: plumbing, medical world,etc. However when it comes to the medical world we need to observe exactly how Udel Polysulfones are being used. The following website lists Udel Polysulfones being used for: surgical trays, nebulizers, humidifiers; note nothing is listed in regards to Udel Polysulfone being internally inserted into the body (ie: a body piercing). Also when researching through the ASTM and ISO standards for Implant or Bio-Compatible capabilities, you will not find Udel Polysulfones listed at all.

Yes Bioplast is resistant to heat and steam, thus meaning it can be sterilized. But just because something can be sterilized, does not always mean it should be inserted into the body in respect to a body piercing, especially in a fresh piercing. Also and finally another lil thing is that the majority of BioPlast sold is for the Externally Threaded body jewelry line, as most piercers tend to just want to cram the beads onto the BioPlast piece. This of course makes it an externally threaded piece of jewelry and because its crudely threaded on, makes the threading on the post a bit rough. They do make special tools to create the external threading and even internal, but I’ve yet to see or hear of a piercer using them. Also as for their Internal/Push-In style of jewelry, I know I personally often have people coming in looking for new beads as their beads simply fell out.

Now I’m not going to say it can’t be used, as I believe it can. But I personally believe the avenue in which it can be used for, is more for troubleshooting problematic piercings. So by saying that I personally believe it should be a last resort attempt to salvage a piercing and troubleshoot the situation to correct it, not to be used for initial fresh piercings.

Posted by Warren Hiller | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

58 Responses to “Bioplast”

1. I agree completely with using Bio-Plast for problematic piercings. I got my Monroe pierced about a year ago, first with a typical, metal labret stud. I was having a problem with the metal disc getting caught on my gums when I smiled and when I was doing “other things.” So I ordered an internally threaded Bio-Plast labret stud and I have had no problems since then.

mary k on March 19th, 2008 at 12:16 pm
  2. Interesting story about bioplast…I tried it in my tongue piercing once…bear in mind this was a piercing I’d had for almost 4 years at the time, and I had used various types of metal in it (stainless steel, titanium etc) without any sort of problems. After about a week with the bioplast barbell my piercing was SO irritated. The tissue around the hole was discolored and it was seriously painful. Luckily, just taking it out and putting steel back in brought it back to normal in a couple days. All in all, bioplast gets a BIG thumbs down from me.

jack on March 19th, 2008 at 1:58 pm
  3. If anyone wants to look it up in PubMed, there’s actually a fair number of papers about using polysulfone in implants. I don’t know if these are the same type(s) of polysulfone sold under the TRADE NAME Bioplast, however, because bioplast is apparently also a generic name for a synthetic actin polymer, which is definitely not what you would want to make jewellery out of, so it’s hard to filter through the search results.

Xenobiologista on March 19th, 2008 at 10:06 pm
  4. I wish I had known this about 3 days ago… I’d heard so much about the wonders of BioPlast, and had it put into a VERY fresh piercing…I had a very bad reaction and don’t have the piercing anymore. :(

S on March 20th, 2008 at 10:45 pm
  5. Xenobiologista: That’s very true I have found many papers and what not but as always that’s research papers. So as I stated its purely speculation until proper standardized testing is completed in such area’s as ASTM as well as ISO for any implant and/or bio-compatible capabilities.

Most papers discuss bio-compatibility and not implant capability, at least in the searches I’ve found…Although the papers I’ve read discuss that due to the bio-compatibility that research into implant capability should be done,etc…

But as my view is always this, I will continue to champion it…Is the material being put into the piercing implant grade material, or is it not? Implant Grade thus meeting the ASTM standards for medical implant devices/materials,etc.

Warren Hiller on March 22nd, 2008 at 12:47 am
  6. I have had a similar reaction to what Jack describes. I work midnight shift at a casino four days a week and I am required not to have any piercings at all. I decided to try to hide it by using the bioplast lebre. It worked for a couple of days, then it starts itching and hurts really bad. The piercing itself didn’t hurt that bad when I got it. Whe I put the surgical steel back in, it stings for a little bit, but in a few days it goes back to normal. I have tried looking for glass lebre rings since then, but there’s not too many out there. Anybody have a suggestion?

Kaechelle on September 20th, 2008 at 9:41 pm
  7. I struggled with severe hypertrophic scarring on my nostril piercing for almost 2 years before finally buying a bioplast nose screw as a last resort–it was that, or I’d finally have to accept that my nose would never heal. After about 2 months my bump was almost completely down with just a minor dot of scarring, and now, 6 months later, there isn’t a single trace of a scar left. After 2 problematic helix piercings and one of my two nipple piercings needing longer-than-normal healing time, I am very hesitant to get my navel pierced for fear an already very tricky piercing will be devestating. I was considering getting it done with a bioplast piece, but I wanted to look into it first. Because I have a good history with bioplast and a slightly poorer one with stainless, wouldn’t it be better than to skip the likely stainless steel nightmare and go straight for the material that worked best before?

Sekhmet on October 7th, 2008 at 10:54 am
  8. Sekhmet: there would be a lot of questions to factor in on this subject matter.

1) what aftercare protocols you used.
    2) What type of stainless steel you had inserted
    3) How it was pierced(technique,tools/equipment,etc)

You could always try to research and make sure the jewelry being used is internally threaded ASTM compliant implant grade 316LVM stainless steel or ASTM compliant implant grade titanium.

Or you might even be a person that’s ok to have bioplast…but again there’s no implant grade standards for it so its very much a craps shoot and as a professional I do not feel comfortable suggesting clients use it on a fresh piercing…better to be safe than sorry I say.

Warren Hiller on October 7th, 2008 at 5:42 pm
  9. Ive had my navel pierced for about 2 weeks now, and ive had it done twice before and ive always have had issues with the 316 surgical steel grade jewelry ive had put in it, idk if im having an allergic reaction to it or if my body doesnt like it, anywho i was wondering if it was too soon to switch to a bioplast navel ring, or if i should just not put one in at all..

Raven on December 31st, 2008 at 2:03 am
  10. Raven: Stay away from 316 Surgical Stainless Steel, its crap.

ALWAYS demand/ask for ASTM F-138 316LVM Stainless Steel.

Doctors don’t leave surgical scissors and other surgical tools in the body, so why leave “surgical” jewelry in?

If the jewelry is of proper implant grade specifications and you’re anatomy is suited for a navel piercing AND if it was done by a competent piercer…You should be fine and not require changing any jewelry at all, unless you decide you want a different gem or something like that.

2 weeks IS too soon to change a piercing jewelry, especially to something that doesn’t even have any proper studies on it and is used for products that are not put inside the body…Such as bioplast is.

Warren Hiller on December 31st, 2008 at 12:24 pm
  11. Ok, so I am wanting to get my lip pierced, but am in the midst of hunting for a job. If I get a job that doesn’t allow piercings, I would have to put a clear retainer in. I have had my nose pierced fo about 9 months now and sometimes I put a clear bioplast retainer in it. I haven’t had any problems with it at all. Would it be okay to initially get my lip pierced with a bioplast retainer?

Rave1 on February 9th, 2009 at 5:11 pm
  12. Rave1: You didn’t bother reading what was written did you? That or perhaps you didn’t comprehend what I wrote?

No technically Bioplast is NOT suitable for an initial piercing.

you can either:

A) Put your job before your piercings and simply wait to get pierced until you’re able to wear a steel or titanium piece

or

B) Get your piercer to use a Quartz Retainer initially.

Warren Hiller on February 14th, 2009 at 7:26 am
  13. I got my labret pierced over a year and a half ago . . . even though, as a professional dog handler, I knew it was a stupid move to put a metal stud *rightnext* to my teeth. I love my piercing, and have since the moment I got it; so of course the first time a dog slammed into my face (about two months after the piercing) and chipped a tooth, I was heartbroken thinking I’d have to take the stud out.

Found about about the Bioplast line and figured I’d give it a try. My piercing *was* fully healed (almost immediately, actually), which is probably why I didn’t have issues. Now when dogs slam into my face, the only pain is from the impact.(Something to be grateful for, hunh?) I’m *so* glad that I found these thingies. I’ve had the same stud in the whole time, and have even chewed it all to heck.

So, for healed labret and Monroe piercings, I do recommend trying this product if you’re always slamming the metal into your teeth. But it seems kinda clear why we would avoid putting plastics of this nature in what are, in effect, open wounds.

Lissa on March 28th, 2009 at 2:52 pm
  14. I HAVE AN IMPORTANT QUESTION
    i am really bad wanting to get my navel pierced for my b-day. ive heard multiple good things about “great” bioplast and ive heard some good things about titanium, but i dont know which would be better for the healing of my piercing…should i get it pierced and use a bioplast or a titanium navel ring for the healing process??? PLZ ANSWER SOON :) thankyou!

Vannessa on May 20th, 2009 at 3:13 pm
  15. Vannessa: Did you bother reading what I wrote initially?

Bioplast/BioFlex is NOT suitable for fresh piercings, that is not what its intended use is for. Its intended usage is for a HEALED piercing.

Make sure that the jewelry you get for your navel piercing is a Implant Grade Titanium Internally Threaded Navel Bar.

Warren Hiller on May 25th, 2009 at 2:21 pm
  16. I’ve been looking into bioplast, as I have a client with sensitivities to metals, and even stainless steel affects her sometimes. The only thing I’ve able to find independently was a South African website with no actual information.

I don’t seem to even be able to order it…

any info in that vein?

Faith Alana Alastair on July 5th, 2009 at 1:06 pm
  17. #16: Faith what metals have you exactly attempted to try and use? which jewelry suppliers have you used on this client?

Stainless Steel is the first to be utilized. Followed by Titanium and some can argue this is sides with Titanium or even after Titanium, but Gold (18Kt Solid Gold) is an option as well.

If you’re not currently using ASTM F-138 316LVM Stainless Steel and ASTM F136 6Al-4V ELI Titanium, I would give those two a try before switching to something like BioPlast/BioFlex.

And I’m baffled/confused that you’re in NYC and you are unable to locate a Supplier to provide you with BioPlast, so many companies in North America are trying to sell that stuff out to everyone and anyone.

Warren Hiller on July 8th, 2009 at 7:54 pm
  18. I really appreciate this article. I’ve just joined the piercing community with 3 fresh ear piercings and I’m considering a tragus as well. This information really helped - I’d been wondering about how good this ‘miracle’ plastic was when there was no AST..LV…MPFT..stuff labeled with it :P . I don’t know much about metals (I’ve found that titanium is my best friend), but I had considered bioplast. Now I know that, as a person with a LOT of allergies, I should probably steer clear :D

Corky on July 16th, 2009 at 7:10 pm
  19. Corky: Also one thing to keep in mind is this…

The actual manufacturers of this material do not clearly state the product should be used in a fresh initial piercing. The only ones saying it can be used in a fresh/initial piercing is the companies who buy said product as a distributor of the product and sell it at wholesale/retail costs.

Warren Hiller on July 16th, 2009 at 9:13 pm
  20. and also it should be added that there is a clear reason why companies who sell at a wholesale/retail level, would state its ok to use in a fresh piercing. Because if they didn’t, it would hinder their sales of the product.

Warren Hiller on July 16th, 2009 at 9:14 pm
  21. Okay, So I found this article, and it says that Bioplast Fibrin has been tested and used for implants? but the thing is that it degrades into the skin around it, I’ve read it, but I am still pondering on if it would be talking about the same stuff, I was wondering if you guys want to read it.

Hiro on August 20th, 2009 at 6:03 am
  22. Hiro. I read that and it is definitely intriguing. However whats confusing is that the manufacturer of that “Bioplast” has its name registered as: Biethium and not Udel Polysulfone.

Remember Bioplast is just a “brand” name it does not refer to the actual material itself. In our industry Bioplast is made from Udel Polysulfone not this Biethium. So I’ll be inclined to say that it isn’t the same stuff…although still a very interesting article.

Warren Hiller on August 20th, 2009 at 8:48 am
  23. My nipple piercings are 4 months old. Today I had to go in for a follow-up mammogram. The first time, I just removed my barbells and reinserted in the dressing room right after, no prob. However this mammogram involved 5 compressions (25 minutes time), then I had to have an ultrasound. This brought my time without jewelery to 70 minutes. Turns out my breast is okay, but my piercing isn’t. I couldn’t get the barbell back in then (or 5.5 hours later when I remembered it, oops). I read online a suggestion of using Tygon or PTFE to keep the hole open during medical tests, but there was no background on the person giving the advice. And I’ve learned so much in the last 30 minutes reading your site. . . .(hell, I was told to turn my new piercings too) that I’m not trusting just anyone. Soooo, what type of material could be used during such a test?

Tisha on September 23rd, 2009 at 2:19 am
  24. Ive been doing alot of research on bioplast and everywhere i look says its okay to get a fresh piercing with it except for this site. Im highly alergic to metal, my face swells up and i cant breath. The same thing happens when i get a small tattoo. A piercer that has done all my friends piercing told me to get a bioflex one and he would pierce my septum for me but i dont wanna have an allergic reaction or something. Its just really difficult to have the piercings and tattoos i want cuz of this so i would really like to know what to do cuz i CANT use any metal.

Shelby on December 16th, 2009 at 5:26 pm
  25. Tisha: Use Tygon or PTFE and in fact even Bioplast jewelry can be used in a healed piercing, during such a test,etc. However once the test is done you will want to put in your proper normal everyday piece of jewelry for long term wearing.

Shelby: The chances of you being allergic to ALL metals is pretty far-fetched. Have you been properly diagnosed by a Medical Practitioner on this? If you haven’t then I would suggest you do so, because you’ll probably be surprised to find out you AREN’T allergic to ALL metals. As you would not be able to wear pants with buttons, handle money, hold a key, wear deodorant (mostly the roll on not spray) and so much more. As its pretty impossible to not come in contact with metals in our daily lives.

Please keep in mind that the majority of artists out there, are in fact using inferior metal qualities that do not meet any sort of standard for long term wearing in the body. Not only that but so many companies refuse to follow any pro-manufacturing protocols prior to shipping it out, such as removing the buffing compound from the metals,etc. And when the jewelry comes to the piercers, chances are they have no clue on how to remove the buffing compounds either and are just bagging and claving the jewelry.

Step 1: Fine out what metals your piercer will be using: 316L, 316LVM, ASTM F-138 316L or ASTM F-138 316LVM stainless steel.

Or if they are using titanium: ASTM F136 6Al-4V ELI or Grade 23,etc.

Or if they are using gold is it 10kt, 14kt, 18kt, 24kt. Is it plated gold or is it solid gold,etc.

The chances of you having an allergy to the ASTM F-136 6Al-4V ELI or say something like 18kt solid gold is very slim.

Like I said because of your face swelling up and inability to breath I’d strongly suggest to not self-diagnose and visit a medical practitioner for an allergy test. Explain the situation and they’ll do a test and figure out exactly whats up. It might just be something like a nickle allergy (ie: do you get rashes on your stomach from wearing button up pants? tape a nickle to your skin and see if it reacts,etc) which case if its a nickle allergy then you know just to stay away from Stainless Steel and only get the ASTM F-136 Titanium or 18kt Solid Gold.

Warren Hiller on December 20th, 2009 at 2:08 pm
  26. This article helped me sooo much!:D I have been researching bioplast or whatever it is for about a week and I couldn’t find anything about safety or something with safety issues and REASONS for it! I was considering buying a bioplast industrial barbell for my freshly-healed piercing, and now I’ve decided against it. Thanks so much warren and everyone else. :D

Rachel Mills on January 13th, 2010 at 11:02 am
  27. Hi, I’ve read before that Bioplast is best for new piercings but I am glad I found this site b4 I got one…I’d like to know what bar length (in mm)is best for a new navel piercing? Also, when the grade of 316L is indicated on a product website, is it the same as 316LVM?

Thank you.

Lilly on January 20th, 2010 at 9:24 am
  28. Lilly: there is no standard bar length or gauge size for a navel. Sure if we sum them all up the chances are they’ll all be 14ga but the length could vary from 5/16 all the way up to 1/2″ or so. Its all anatomy dependent.

As for your question about 316L and 316LVM they are absolutely not the same. 316LVM is vacuum melted.

here is a quote from http://www.alloywire.com/alloy_stainless_steel_316_LVM.html: “Regarded as ‘Medical Grade’, this stainless steel 316 is vacuum melted to achieve the extremely high levels of purity and ‘cleanliness’ required for surgical implants. It has excellent resistance in physiological environments, to general and intergranular corrosion, to pitting and crevice corrosion.”

Warren Hiller on January 23rd, 2010 at 5:21 pm
  29. Thank you for this article.
    I’ve had my nose pierced so many times now because I always have to take it out for work and it never gets a chance to properly heal, so I’ve been considering Bioplast for a while.
    My piercer was against it, and I wanted to find out why.
    This explains it.
    I saw a few comments back that you mentioned a Quartz Retainer.
    Is Quartz a brand name or the material used?

Lowen on February 25th, 2010 at 9:21 am
  30. ok so i’ve wanted to get a labret for a while now and i was going to get it with bioplast cos i’d have to go to school with it but now that ive seen this article i wont. . . . i was wondering if theres anything less noticable … any help would be great thanks!!

aisha sky on February 28th, 2010 at 6:01 pm
  31. I am in engineering. I research, it’s what I do. You mentioned FDA, ISO 10:993 compliant above.

Read below. The manufacturer claims it is indeed compliant.

So, what do you make of that?

josepennell on March 25th, 2010 at 3:21 pm
  32. Here is an article from Bayer referencing ISO 10993:

josepennell on March 25th, 2010 at 3:36 pm
  33. Very Stange that nobody notoced ” Udel polysulfone (PSU) is a rigid, high-strength, semi-tough thermoplastic that has a heat deflection temperature of 345°F (174°C), ” …? What does it says really..? It says this material is rock hard ! I have taken a piece of Bioplast myself to Solvay enginneers, and they told me the Bioplast piece I was holding cannot be UDEL Polysulfone as it is soft, and flexible and semitransparent. The UDEL Polysulfone is hard, and has a smoked colour …Have anyone thought that we could sometime be taken for a ride ?

I am sticking to BioFlex, which is 10993, FDA and Europeean pharmacopaeia compliant..created by honest piercer to start with and not for the fast buck !

Jean-Louis on April 19th, 2010 at 4:18 am
  34. Okay, I read something about putting bioplasts into fresh piercings. That is a HUGE no-no. The professional who pierces whatever spot on your body will tell you not to put plastic in it at first until it’s healed completely. It reacts badly with a fresh piercing. Metal is the best when first done, because it’s more pure and make sure it’s properly sanitized. Which if you have it done professionally at a respectable location it will be. The problem is people get antsy and they want to change the jewelry. Some places will actually let you bring your own jewelry. Because, I just didn’t want the plain barbell in my belly button so I bought a cuter one and had them sanitize it. No problems. Healed fine. And places like tongues never really heal all the way through, due to saliva and other factors. Ears will heal all the way through to skin and belly buttons will too, but it takes at least 6 mos. But, I used bioplast in my monroe and it was fine. But, it was completely healed. So, just wait til your piercing is properly healed and is in a location that CAN fully heal.

crystal bowman on April 23rd, 2010 at 6:43 pm
  35. @34: Tongues piercings never fully heal? Due to saliva? Um, what?

thinkzersize on May 18th, 2010 at 12:26 pm
  36. I recently bought a belly button ring made of 316L Surgical Grade Stainless Steel, and was wondering if it’s the same as 316 Surgical Grade Stainless Steel, because earlier you mentioned that the 316 was crap, and one shouldn’t use it. Would I be ok piercing my belly button for the first time with 316L, or would it be better if I ask for the 3126LVM?

Leena on May 20th, 2010 at 4:04 pm
  37. I had my navel pierced 2 years ago, and it never seemed to heal completely. The only other piercings I have are on my ears, but I rarely wear ear rings because they always seem to get irritated after wearing them for more than a few days. I thought I might be allergic to the surgical steel used so after about 6 months I bought a gold navel ring. (My Mom and one of my sisters is also seems to be allergic to metals, but they are fine with gold) The gold didn’t do anything, I think it made it worse because my navel was getting itchy and oozing puss. It was gross. Before it was just a little red around the edges and occasionally the bottom hole would get a little crusty. (I want to note that I’m very hygienic and clean the piercing (with a medicated soap) very well at least once a day, sometimes twice).

anonymous on June 5th, 2010 at 8:42 am
  38. Continued….

I bought a Bioplast navel ring and the itching stopping instantly. It’s been a week now and not even one crusty. The edged are healing back to a normal pink/skin color. I’m so happy I finally fixed my navel piercing! I think Bioplast is a great option for people who are sensitive to metals.

anonymous on June 5th, 2010 at 8:46 am
  39. I recently bought 2 bioplast push-in gem monroes, but the size (3/8″) is a bit too long and they stick out way too far on my lip. I heard that you can cut them down, but I’m not sure if you can just cut them and the gem will still stay in or not. I don’t want to ruin them, but I also want them to fit properly. Is this possible or no?

Adam on June 6th, 2010 at 3:50 pm
  40. I haven’t done much research on Bioplast, but I have done a good amount on Bioflex. My piercer has advised against either and I have come across a few places denouncing its use. However, I have yet to see an ACTUAL medical reason not to use it…other than opinions.
    According to the Association of Professional Piercers: http://www.safepiercing.org/piercing/jewelry-standards/ “implant standards … cannot be directly applied to the use or required finish for body jewelry… Implants rest permanently against internal tissue … and are designed for greater tissue adhesion. Healing piercings, however, form tissue against the smooth non-adhesive surface of the jewelry” However, they do still endorse materials which are Implant Grade, ISO 10993-6, 10993-10 and/or 10993-11 compliant and/or UPS Class VI. They also claim that Bioplast IS compliant.
    As for Bioflex, it is also compliant: http://www.bioflex.com.au/images/bioflex/BIOFLEX%20-%20Compliance&Data.pdf
    In so reading, almost exclusively about Bioflex, I STILL have yet to find WHY it is ‘bad’ for a piercing. …Not opinions, or one persons personal experience, which is subject to so MANY other factors.

Bioflex != Bioplast on June 11th, 2010 at 7:46 pm
  41. I did read everything you, wrote but I still have some questions. I got my ears pierced about 5 years ago and I took care of them and they were fine for about half of the year then they started rejecting the metal and I tried every metal possible, Gold, silver, white gold, titanium, stainless steel, etc. and they all rejected. Now I have keloids in my ears and some discoloration on the tops of them. I really want to get my naval pierced but don’t know what to do about the metal situation. I was thinking about the BioPlast, but you said its not good for fresh piercings. What do you think I should do?

Margaret on July 23rd, 2010 at 8:42 pm
  42. Okay so i’ve had my belly button pierced twice before and both times it rejected, i don’t know if it was the jewelry or what. Since the last time it was pierced ive been told a captive navel ring is better to use b/c its easier to clean. I was wondering if i should try a gold ring instead(both times they used surgical steel)?

Amanda on September 12th, 2010 at 1:42 pm
  43. I’m wondering about the advantages of using bioplast in monroe/lip piercings as an alternative to the metal. I’ve been wanting to get a lip piercing for awhile, but I’m worried about damaging my gums/teeth. If I pierce with a metal labret and then switch to a bioplast one once it’s fully healed, would that be safer on my gums?

Iva on April 9th, 2011 at 5:03 pm
  44. So, I want to get my lip pierced, but people say that metal will wreck my teeth, so I was concidering bioplast. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Quin on August 20th, 2011 at 7:40 am
  45. I have a question. (: well im allergic to metal so i can only were plastic jewlery. so is this Bioplast good for me to use ? i herd a both good and bad things about this Bioplast. so please help me out and leave a responce. thank you!! (:

Michaela on November 26th, 2011 at 11:30 am
  46. I’ve had my tongue pierced for about 4 years now, and for a big chunk of that time, I had on the original barbell that was used when it was pierced. I finally took it out, and by God was it gross. Threw it out, then replaced it with another surgical steel barbell, but as with the original ring, the bottom of my tongue was still in a little pain. I also have a slight speech impediment with certain letters, and the steel wasn’t helping much. I put in a Bioplast flexible barbell in my tongue a couple of months ago, and both the lower pain and impediment are much improved.

Faith on December 26th, 2011 at 12:05 pm
  47. Hi guys, I have 8 piercings (nothing major just ears and nose) and I have always been told titanium is the best material to use for any piercing as it’s the least prone to reacting with the majority of skin types and I’ve found it great- never had any problems! Hope this helps :)

Alex on February 4th, 2012 at 8:39 am
  48. Hi Warren, can you correct this? BioPlast and BioFlex trademark holders confirm that their products are proprietary olefinic polymers, but not specifically udel polysulfone.

Also, APP jewelry standards do not specifically include either trade name, rather a set of qualifications materials must meet for safety purposes to be used in body jewelry for initial piercings. http://www.safepiercing.org/piercing/jewelry-standards/ (Although the brochure for initial jewelry does mention the trade name BioPlast as an example http://www.safepiercing.org/piercing/jewelry-for-initial-piercings/)

Brian Skellie on March 4th, 2012 at 1:56 pm
  49. Brian,

Nope will not correct at all. For ten years (2001-2010) all materials posted to their websites related to this type of product has referenced Udel Polysulfone. So unless they changed their material make-up within the past two years, the reference to Udel Polysulfone, as of when I answered this question in 2008, is accurate.

The “certificate” on the BioPlast website is new compared to the one they originally posted up from at least 2001-2009(2010).

and if we’re going to discuss olefinic polymers Brian. Do you know of ISO or ASTM specifications for Bio-Compatibility for insertion into the body? Any medical application uses for olefinic polymers have been plastic barriers, plastic test tubes,etc. NOTHING in my cursory check online shops any application for long-term insertion into or through the body.

Not only that but the production of olefinic polymers uses ethylene gases which has been known for YEARS to be harmful to human contact. This is why majority of hospitals are switching their low temp sterilization from EO gases to Accelerated Hydrogen Peroxide based sterilization, ie: Sterrad. And furthermore Sterrad processes are not to include any implants or medical devices that are meant to be placed into the body for long term usage.

Also in regards to the APP’s stance on this subject matter. Although I fully support the APP as a means to organize and promote a unified union of Body Piercing professionals. Having only supported and never been an APP member, nor am I one right now. I am allowed to have my own informed opinion. And my PERSONAL opinion is as stated in the above. Teflon, Tygon, BioPlast/BioFlex have great potential for usages in the Body Piercing profession. However as stated, my personal opinion is they do not belong for use in initial body piercings.

You know me. I might be a bit controversial at times as well as VERY opinionated ;)

Warren on May 9th, 2012 at 8:52 pm
  50. #44: Faith:

That is actually an issue involving improper placement. The fact that its flexible is mainly what is aiding you right now, due to the improper placement on the tongue. Hence what I said in reference to its great for troubleshooting/fixing mistakes.

Warren on May 10th, 2012 at 1:29 am
  51. Michaela: People are not just allergic to “metal”. Allergies are more specific and are often involving specific alloys that trigger the allergies.

Also “metal” allergies for body piercings,etc are often due to poor quality metals used in the manufacturing. When seeking a piercing you should find reputable artists who use jewelry that meet ASTM F-136 Titanium and ASTM F-138 Stainless Steel standards. As these standards are what are considered “implant grade” and are the type of materials used for long term implantation within the body.

Warren on May 16th, 2012 at 11:09 am
  52. WARREN HILLER GAVE ME CHYLMIDIA!!!! STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Jones on August 25th, 2012 at 4:58 pm
  53. I know it’s been a long while since you posted this but I see you seem to have kept up with people’s comments so I will give this a shot because I need help with my piercing :( I got a cartilage piercing done Jan 2010 at a legit tattoo/piercing parlor with a needle and the piercer using gloves and cleaning the 16G stainless steel CBR he took out from its packaging (I don’t know if it’s surgical grade as at that time I didn’t know about diff grades to ask). I bought H2Ocean at the parlor and used it 2x a day until it finished at which point I would clean it with warm water and qtip as necessary. I developed a hypertrophic scar (I checked with a dermatologist who said it was not a keloid) and after 8 months, though it wasn’t fully healed, I switched to a 18G 14kt nose screw which I got inserted by the same parlor (as I didn’t know of labrets at the time). After a bit (a couple months? can’t recall now). ~2 months later I bought a nose bone but it was too difficult for them to insert so my original piercer put in a 16G stainless steel labret. I had that on for a little less than a year at which point I realized that my piercing was not fully healed after 1.5 yrs so I did research and realized that stainless steel has nickel which I know I am allergic to. At that point I thought it best to put in 14kt which I have never had an allergic reaction to so I inserted a small 18G 14kt gold hoop. Since 14kt gold still has some nickel I did further research and learned that titanium is supposed to be virtually hypoallergenic. So 2 months later I bought a 18G grade 23 titanium labret post with a stainless steel push pin with white gold setting and went to the same parlor to get it inserted. After about a week my piercing started oozing and feeling itchy/uncomfortable (which it hadn’t done in a very long time) so I put back the 18G 14kt small gold hoop I had that my piercing had seemed happiest with so far (this might mean I am allergic to titanium. I know people said it could be the change of jewelry but this didn’t happen the 2 time I just put in the 18G 14kt gold). I had that on for about 4 months and since I feel the healing got to a stand still I bought a 16G Bioplast labret since I couldn’t find 18G. I know it’s kind of bad I had to stretch out the whole a bit to accomodate the larger diameter but I thought stretching it out was less impactful than leaving smthng that has some nickel in it. Plus I thought I could leave the Bioplast in until it heals (as long the shaft doesnt bend and the snap in top doesn’t come off like the first one that came off after 2 days). The hypertrophic scarrring remains but hasn’t grown. I have considered buying glass but at this point I am tired of spending money and putting my piercing through diff jewelry and would really just like some advice from a professional. Any advice/word of wisdom are greatly appreciated as it is going on 3 years (in 1.5months) and my piercing is still not fully healed :( Thanks so much in advance!

Ana on November 27th, 2012 at 3:06 am
  54. I got my piercing 4 days ago, on the third day i needed a longer bar and got bioplast! when i asked for bioplast they said ( plastic?) so i dont know if that is good, or bad.
    however hours later, when i finished eating i noticed a this sticky subsistence coming from the piercing, and i started getting this dry.. pinching feeling? but ONLY around the wound. i am going to go get a metal bar put back in tomorrow, since this didst start doing this until i got the bioplast put in. i dont know if its dead skin cells or puss, either way im not risking it. metal is getting back in there, and im going to move from mouth wash to sea salt soaks.

sara on December 20th, 2012 at 10:51 pm
  55. I’ve had my belly button pierced twice. The first time it didn’t heal properly and I changed it too many times while it was still in the healing process. The second time my piercing was healing great for the first two weeks. I woke up one morning and I noticed a little red bump forming around the top hole which I was cleaning it. I didn’t pay any attention to it for a few days until I realized it had grown larger. I went to the doctor and he thought it might be infection so he put me on a round of antibotics and topical oniment. I continued that for a month and still the bump was there. I searched online and came to the conclusion it was hypertrophic scar. So I figured it would go away on it’s own so I just continued with the sea salt soaks. A month later the bump was still there. I finally went back to my piercer. He examined it and said I was having an allergic reaction to stainless steel ring. He told me to try sterling sliver, titanium, or bioflex. I went to Walmart to look for a ring. I was reluctant about getting bioplast. But I had to try something because my piercing was starting to hurt and bleed. I bought the bioflex ring. I sterilized it and put it in. The first couple days the bleeding stopped and the bump began to scab. Within two weeks the bump was gone. The only thing left was skin discoloration like a scar and it’s slowly fading away. You can’t even see it. Bioplast is amazing! It’s really helped me!

Carrie on March 11th, 2013 at 7:16 pm
  56. Okay so I’ve had my belly button done three times and it rejected two types of steel, surgical and something else im not quite sure. All three times it rejected and so im really not confident with steel. I have all my earings done with titanium, so my tragus helix and daith and they just came up in blisters. This made them really painful for months, and I have only just descovered bioplast and its the best thing ever! I have push to fit labrets on my helix and tragus and I’ve never had one fall out. I want to get my nose pierced soon and my piercer is willing to pierce it with bioplast. I live on a tiney island with two piercing shops, one will only pierce with steel… What material would you suggest I use for my nose??

lizzie on April 25th, 2013 at 11:33 am
  57. Lizzie: based on your statements, I am inclined to believe you have been pierced with sub-standard materials that do not meet the appropriate ASTM standards for implant grade.

Also without seeing your navel, I can not determine why it failed 3 times. One option is that your navel just might not be suitable to house a piercing.

If you check out sites like:

These sites will show what quality jewelry is.

Warren on April 29th, 2013 at 9:03 pm
  58. I wanted to stop by and let you know that there are people out here who are DEADLY allergic to implant grade Titanium. I had foot surgery requiring 4 screws, all titanium. Within 6 mos of the last surgery, I had issues that were indicative of a severe systemic allergic reaction. Subsequently, an additional surgery was required to remove the screws. All issues were resolved within 15 days of surgery to remove screws.
    I say this because of a navel piercing I have had for 20 years. (YES 20!). After the systemic allergic reactions began, the 18KT SOLID GOLD captive bead ring I was wearing could no longer be tolerated. At this point, Bioplast curved barbell is ALL I can wear.

Perhaps at a later date this will change and I can return to the gold. But for the time being, NO metals of any kind can be worn. I wish someone would make rock or glass curved barbells.

Jenna on July 8th, 2013 at 4:19 pm