Raised tattoo means botched tattoo?

«« Need some professional help    The etiquette of custom designs »»

Wednesday January 9th, 2008 @ 6:53 PM

Filed under: Tattoos

I have had 4 tattoos and one piercing by the same artist and been delighted. He’s proffessional, hygenic, on the same wavelength as me, all in all everything I could ask for. However, my fiance noticed that my last tattoo (got a shocking 6 months ago) is a bit raised. It was on my upper arm, near the front, so not an uncommon place at all. Now I’m worried to go back to him, because I would expect it to be a sign of bad tattooing, but I don’t want to replace him. Aftercare was fine, and so are all my others by him. What does a raised patch of blakwork highlight?

Raised skin in the area of a tattoo can mean the skin was overworked somewhat and some scar tissue formed as a result. However, if there isn’t a lot of it, and this is the first time it has happened on any of the tattoos from this person, I probably wouldn’t let it be a “deal breaker”. Perhaps he did get a little carried away in that spot…or perhaps the skin in that particular location simply reacted differently to being tattooed.

Have you considered asking him about it? Based upon the things you’ve said about him, it seems like he would be open to answering any questions you had. He might have some insight into what happened.

Ultimately it will be your call on whether you get tattooed by this person again. Considering all the positives you listed about him though, it seems that discarding him out-of-hand might be a bit excessive.

Posted by Derek Lowe | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

25 Responses to “Raised tattoo means botched tattoo?”

1. i have the same thing. on one of my tattoos on my ribs. however it was only raised randomly, twice that i have noticed and each for about 10 min. it was noticably raised too, i could feel each of the letters (its black wording). but then it is completely normal again and flat. its also about 6 months old. any reason why it would raise and then become flat again? and maybe yours will flush with the skin soon too?

allison on January 9th, 2008 at 9:50 pm
  2. I have an upper arm tattoo and it too is a bit raised. Most of the tattoo is actually flat but a bit at the top, where it flips between skin and ink in a very small space is raised. I like it, I have a strange habit of rubbing it without realising. :P And it isn’t raised all the time, sometimes you can hardly tell.

Just another thought on it, as the placing made me wonder.

Niksia on January 10th, 2008 at 2:07 pm
  3. A friend of mine has a spot on his arm where he the artist used a rather heavy hand. It raises up on occasion for short periods of time. The times when I have noticed it the most were when he has been awake for an extended period of time and when it seemed his immune system is down.

Michelle the robot on January 15th, 2008 at 3:34 am
  4. I have a few large tattoos on my arms and legsd that involve lettering, and on occasion the tattoos raise above the skin and can be felt. After a few minutes of research on everything fromt tattoo to medical sites, I found that if the tattoo stays raised you have scar tissue. If the tattoo raised for a period of time then lowers, it’s most likely a reaction to either sun exposure, heat exposure, or something internal (in my case a few beers makes my tattoos swell up).

Jason on July 13th, 2008 at 12:41 pm
  5. i have the same problem my tattoo is over 14 years old and only becomes raised if i’m hot or sweating

tony on January 28th, 2009 at 6:35 pm
  6. my tattoos raise..but ive noticed its when my blood pressure is high or i scratch them..try scratching one of them and ten minutes later see if its raised..i think it has something to do with the blood

chip on June 13th, 2009 at 7:25 pm
  7. I ‘ve gotten two tats. Both are raised. The larger one looks like it’s blistered.Like alligator skin. I’ve used tat ointment, Vit E. Nothing has helped. It’s kinf of unique. Looks sort of like a brand. It’s been two months. So I guess it’s healed as much as it’s going to get. Has any one seen anything like this?

Larry on August 19th, 2009 at 9:07 pm
  8. My tattoo just raised up. It’s on my right shoulder in the back. It gas done this before and so has the one on my leg. I’m didn’t get hot. Maybe it was the red beans and rice. But the one on my leg didn’t do it and it’s normally the one that does. I’m just glad to see that it doesn’t just happen to me. If anyone finds any definitive answers please post.

Shawnie on November 17th, 2009 at 10:17 pm
  9. I’m so relieved to hear that there are other people that have expeirenced their tattoos being raised as well, i’m not alone! I got mine on my upper back 9 months ago and it recently began to become raised but only sometimes and it goes away after awhile. It’s really weird.

Alex on November 22nd, 2009 at 5:10 am
  10. Thank god, I was terrified after reading that it could be a sign of a bad artist. I got a rather large piece done on my upper leg and from time to time it still raises up even though its about 10 months old. I’ve never had this problem with my other tattoos and it had me a bit worried. I notice my raises after shaving and in the heat/sun and its always a different section of the tattoo that raises up, its the strangest thing. I was at first afraid that I had an allergy to the red inks he used.

Amy on December 8th, 2009 at 11:33 pm
  11. It’s sun exposure usually for me. My celtic cross on my left deltoid(shouler) has lettering in the center. The letters raise up a millimeter or so after surfing and getting too much sun. My physician and tattoo artist agree that no harm can come from it and it’s natural for certain areas affected by ink can raise up. Hope it helps

Joe on May 17th, 2010 at 10:29 pm
  12. I have a rather large tribal on my left arm that goes down to my elbow and all the way across my upper back. I have noticed that from time to time it will become raised and itchy. I have had this tattoo for for 5+ years. I can’t say that its anything unusual for a tattoo to raise like yours and mine do. I have many friends who have experienced the same thing. I would guess that it has to be a histamine reaction of some type. It doesn’t have anything to do with the artist as far as I know…..

David on July 26th, 2010 at 6:59 pm
  13. All of my tattoos are raised. It’s the way my skin takes the ink. They have all been done by different artists, so I know it’s not just one person doing a crappy job. I just got a fresh one, and I’m wondering how this one’s gonna heal.

Niki on December 14th, 2010 at 1:21 pm
  14. I have two tats. The first one was small on my hip, after it pealed it became as smooth as my skin. Then last July I got the outline of a dead tree all they was down my back. It scabed over and started to peel but it never smoothed into my skin. Now if I’m sweating or someone rubs my back it itches unbelievably. You can feel the whole outline on my back. A friend of mine did it. I watched him open the ink and needle with gloves on. He did have a heavy hand, what I’m thinking is its scar tissue?

courtney on January 10th, 2011 at 9:11 pm
  15. yea mine is riased and scared looking to, its bumpy to the touch its my only tattoo im kinda sub concious bout it but i try not to worry bout it is there any way to heal it?

gagan on May 2nd, 2011 at 3:47 am
  16. I have 4 tattoos and only one raises up. It never fails that it raises about 4 days before my period starts and also when I’m sick.

My question is this: If I get my tattoo removed, will there still be raising in the spot?

Morgan on August 30th, 2011 at 1:26 am
  17. I got a tattOo like 2 weeks ago it peeled once and some of the edges have 2 long scabbs which are healing but the skin around is colored but skin is very crocodile textured. Is it still healing?

monique on September 1st, 2011 at 3:57 am
  18. I know this is a long time after this was posted but I just stumbled across this. I have the exact dame thing, I have 3 tattoos. The 1st 2 I had by the same guy, on on lower back nearly 5 years ago and one on my hip just under 4 years ago. These two are raised and I can feel the whole shape of the tatoos. I thought that was normal and when I went to get my 3rd on my neck, within three weeks, my skin s smooth. Today I went to book my fourth on my ankle and I asked the guy and he said that is was the tattoo artists fault and it shouldn’t be like this. I find it so strange that this has happened.

Danielle on September 3rd, 2011 at 9:06 pm
  19. I’ve got a large backpiece that is extremely raised. Looking back, I was in a very uncomfortable position when getting tattooed, part of it was a cover up and the artist was in a rush. I know in my case the raising is from my skin being overworked. I have never been in such pain while getting tattooed before, and years later my skin is still mega raised. I concur that different areas are more sensitive and IMO the tattoo artist should always make sure they aren’t digging in too deeply or concentrating too much on one place. The skin chances as well, and becomes puckered. When this happens your skin can’t take any more and it is time to book another session in 2 weeks.

Cassie on October 5th, 2011 at 10:38 pm
  20. My tattoo raises when I’m extremly angry. So its prob got something to do with body releasing endorphins and how the ink reacts to the body

tattoomannn on December 21st, 2011 at 11:03 pm
  21. I have many tattoos, I’m also very pale with a hightened tendency to blush. If I scratch with a fingernail I have a red welt within seconds, and I turn blotchy red for up to an hour after exposure to heat (showers, baths, etc normally).

All of my tattoos raise up and down at various times, especially if I’m worn out or getting sick. I can actually tell when I’m sick before I start to get symptoms, as all my tattoos get puffy and itchy. Like me, it may just be a normal part of the way your skin works.

SentWest on February 4th, 2012 at 10:42 pm
  22. I have two tattoos done by the same artist. I can say about the raised tattoo that it isn’t your fault and you’ve done nothing wrong during healing. One of my tattoos that I’ve had for about 2 months is a little raised along the lettering. (Its a big tattoo of an angel with the words In Gods Hands and two hands under the words) majority of the tat is smooth and healed. I know alot of people are saying this will never heal but I’ve actually noticed the raised spots on mine getting a little less puffy by the week. I usually heal really slow and multiple artists have told me if thats the case it could, over a long period of time, possibly heal. All depends on your body though. And for real nobody other than my sister noticed the raised ink anyway. Only can tell when you focus and look closely at it anyway.

Miles on July 19th, 2012 at 9:28 am
  23. All people are different and heal different too, raised tattoos are normally caused by artist over working , or reactions from the dies in the ink used although the artist wouldn’t no weather it is going to affect you , this is y professional tattoo artistes will ask you to fill out a documents informing you of such things that could happen !! Hope this helps

Lee on April 22nd, 2013 at 7:02 pm
  24. Hi :)
    I Only had my beautiful little swallow tattoo for 2 days
    & it’s abit raisedIt looks like it’s been done with henna ink
    ie u need to wipe it off! But obviously this is part of the healing process
    & I’m following the aftercare :)
    Clean Anti bacterial soap pat dry &
    tattoo after care cream 3-4 times a day for 2 days then after 2 days just apply cream 3-4 times a day :)
    Not touching it or getting it wet & keeping if out of the sun!
    I hope it settles down & looks as pretty as it did the day I had it done :)
    I will carry on rubbing the cream in once or twice a day until I use up the little pot!
    Happy inking everybody :0)

Tracy on July 7th, 2013 at 4:59 am
  25. im covered in black n shade and have had this problem on an off for over 15 years, old and new react the same to hot weather spells, if i itch them they are more prone to raise up,
    I suffer from psoriasis to and have been told by a dermatologist team that psoriasis can take over in parts of the skin that have been damaged.
    so its a possibility that I could get it on all my tats.

I HAVE HAD A REMOVAL OF ONE TAT AND THIS PATCH OF SKIN NO LONGER RAISES UP OR REACTS TO HEAT!

ADVISE: cool them down (wet skin and a fan usually works for me to relieve the itching)and keep them moisturised all the time, protect urself against the heat and the sun.

To be a walking work of art comes with a price! ;-)

colin on July 27th, 2013 at 3:36 am