Why does the fluid coming out of my nipple piercing smell fowl?

«« nipple pumping    Modifying Surface Bars »»

Monday December 31st, 2007 @ 11:33 AM

Filed under: Nipple

Hi there, I have my right nipple pierced and it has a 14 gage ring in it. I have had it a little over a year now and it healed fine. However I am constantly getting this fluid that is drying/crusting to my ring. But the smell is aweful…and i clean it but like 2 hours later it will have a fowl smell again. It is not infected at all. What is making it smell like that?

This has been explained before, but since it’s Ask BME now rather than QOD, I assume it’s worth re-answering. All of the skin on your body sheds skin and oils, normally this stuff sloffs off during the day and/or comes off in the shower. Inside the healed fistula of a piercing, the tissue does the same thing, but rather than easily coming off it rots and becomes rather gross (like ear funk). The jewelry you wear may be reacting with your skin and making this situation worse. One thing that makes a HUGE difference is the material used. I would recommend titanium or glass to minimize this discharge. Another option is organics, there porosity helps absorb some of this funk, but if your like me, you may not like the aesthetics of organics in a nipple piercing, so just stick with ti or glass.

Posted by Sean Philips | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

31 Responses to “Why does the fluid coming out of my nipple piercing smell fowl?”

1. If gunk coming out of my piercings smelled like chicken, I’d be worried, too.

Jess on January 1st, 2008 at 6:11 am
  2. ^ that was cute =]

kate on January 3rd, 2008 at 3:10 am
  3. So could this be the same for my monroe as well? Because it’s not infected.. but no matter how much I wash it with soap.. it smells.

Andi on January 4th, 2008 at 9:44 am
  4. yeah, i have the same problem with my monroe piercing. pretty gross, yet i have no idea why, haha.

danielle on May 14th, 2008 at 5:42 pm
  5. my monroe is the same way! i was looking up why it would smell when i came across this page. i always wonder if my boyfriend can ever smell it when he gets close to my face! i guess at least its nice to know its not just me … but what to do about it?? :/

traci on January 5th, 2009 at 11:06 am
  6. I have noticed the same smell and i wear titanium. I dont remember if I had it when I was wearing gold.

mike on February 16th, 2009 at 12:21 pm
  7. My nipple rings have that same smell its super annoying I don’t want my man sucking on my boobs and its all smelly.

adrienne on June 3rd, 2009 at 11:01 pm
  8. I have my nipple done for almost a year now and its healed fine but it smeels so bad I wanna kno if anything is going on inside

kiki on July 27th, 2009 at 10:10 pm
  9. my septum have a stinky smell to it to. And my sisters also complained about that smell with their piercings. Thats crazy.

Anna on August 31st, 2009 at 5:36 am
  10. dead skin cells

Becca on September 20th, 2009 at 11:54 pm
  11. wow thanks all this kinda helped cause i was really hopin i wasnt the only one. lmao but i dont think anyone ever said if this smell would ever go away or not. thats what i would like to know. other than changing jewelry can i make the smell go away?

thanks in advance for any help : )

-Porsche’-

Porsche' on January 2nd, 2010 at 7:21 pm
  12. i have the same problem with my nipple piercing..it smells SO BAD like dirty dog ears lol..here is wat i found :

You can pick up a bottle of Provon from any piercing shop for about $3.00. If you’re really worried about this, go back to your piercer and let them take a look at them. And I highly doubt you have an infection.

Jme on January 29th, 2010 at 2:49 pm
  13. and dont use bactine or dial soap it will kill the good and bad bacteria

Jme on January 29th, 2010 at 2:50 pm
  14. Im so glad i just came over this! i was looking upp this same information. I’ve had my nipples pierced for almost a year and a half and although the crusting isnt that bad the smell makes me really uncomfortable especially with my guy, if i can smell it i figure he can. I just took them out permanently before i decided to look on here so now i guess i’ll give em longer. I’ll try glass or titanium and see if that fixes the issue. I along with what other people said am relieved this seems to be normal. But is that part about bactine true? cuz thats what they told me to get to care for em in the first place so i just use that to clean em if not in the shower. not good?

Michelle on April 2nd, 2010 at 4:01 am
  15. i took my first nipple pierceing out over 15 years ago, i can still squeeze discusting white stinky stuff from one side of the hole that hasnt healed. the other i removed 7 years ago and is still open on both sides,quite a bit comes from this one.if i had known this before i would NEVER have got them done.on a plus point (once i cleaned them thoroughly) breast feeding was ammusing with lots of milk flow from the holes= happy baby.

pip on August 18th, 2010 at 9:44 am
  16. So happy this is normal !!! I thought I was the only one .

Shaneen on January 16th, 2011 at 2:42 pm
  17. like others I am happy it’s not just me! I have been freaking out thinking it could be anything from Herpes to dried up breast milk. I wear TI rings too (cute ones w cupcakes on them ;) )
    but the smell is still there.What’s worse asking your doctor to smell your nipples or having your man smell your nipples….i don’t know? seriously don’t want to take them out love the heightened feeling of them! I just don’t want stinky nips anymore…I NEED ANSWERS!

holysmellynipplebatman on February 28th, 2011 at 12:48 pm
  18. Wow! Thanks for the info! I am relieved that I am not alone without any solutions. I think I will try the gold jewlery. I have often wondered if this is just another form of toxins being released from my body. I shall continue my research….

Shay! on June 25th, 2011 at 9:29 am
  19. Question: Is nipple leakage something expierenced by women only? Or do men with nipple piercing have the same issue???

Shay! on June 25th, 2011 at 9:33 am
  20. mine are about 3 months old, and occasionally my right one will smell like mushrooms. i just put a drop of lavender oil in some salt water and after i soak ‘em for a bit, they smell better. (for at least a few days. haven’t actually kept track of how many days, though.)

lavender is a great anti-fungal and anti-bacterial oil. just make sure you get a real essential oil, not a perfume oil, and avoid putting it on full-strength. a little goes a long way.

carrot on July 8th, 2011 at 12:29 pm
  21. Omg I have my right nipple pierced nd white stuff comes out wit this nasty smell kimda like spoiled milk. I jus hope dude sucking it don’t smell it cuz it feels so good!

Moey on August 16th, 2011 at 12:08 am
  22. thank the goddess that this is “normal” i have tried some lavendar cream(lush dream cream) on them as it seems to heal EVERYTHING and that didnt seem to work essential oil it is …

violetta on August 25th, 2011 at 5:32 pm
  23. I’ve had my nipples pierced for 4-5 years and had a daughter a year and a half ago.. My nipples healed well and I breast fed my daughter as well.. The piercings helped with the flow of milk..but noticed after I weaned her that they would always smell..i just keep em clean.. Haven’t used anything special on them. But am selfconsious about the smell:/.. Even my hubby says they stank! Lmao!! But I know it’s not infected or anything.. So just keeping them clean and the lavander essential oil works well also.. So tey it.. And I’m gonna try the titanium an or glass jewelry:)

Gina on September 6th, 2011 at 2:30 am
  24. I Have That Issue With My Nipple Rings I Am Thinking About Trying Plastic Bar Bells Or Something Bc It Drives Me Nuts And The Right one Dose It Worse Then The Left, The Left Hardly Does It At All I Might Have To Get The Right One Re Done Bc Its Further Back On Rubbing Alcohol Bc Soap Dries Out My Nipple To Bad But Glad I Am Not Alone LOL

nikki on November 1st, 2011 at 3:15 pm
  25. I’ve had my right pierced for 14 years and I’ve put on and taken off a lot of weight over the years - I’ve gone from an A cup to a DD a couple of times. The only time I have odor/discharge is when I’m a larger size. When I was an A or B cup, no smell, no trouble. Even frequent cleanings don’t do much to help when I’m a D or DD. Looking forward to getting the weight off again.

sheila on January 5th, 2012 at 10:31 am
  26. Take some hot water and pour in epsom salt and pour over nipples 2x a day ordor will leave.

Lynn on March 11th, 2012 at 2:04 pm
  27. thank god im not alone. ive had mines for almost 3 years but the smelly discharge ive noticed in the last year or so. ive put alot of weight on in as well. so its a combination of everything i guess. im going to try glass and losing weight. so glad im not alone

reese on May 28th, 2012 at 2:07 pm
  28. I have the same problem but I’ve noticed it only happens around my monthly cycle so not to bad and thanks for the tips

Candy on August 16th, 2012 at 6:08 pm
  29. Glad i’m not the only one! Going to try the lavender oil and some glass jewelry hope this works.*fingers crossed*

Teena on December 12th, 2012 at 10:04 pm
  30. I have had my out for 10 years ago and two kids later. Still stinks. It is my right nipple. Has to be something with right nipple. So if you like your piercings then just keep them in bc taking them out won’t stop the smell. Mine only smell when being played with. Which is the worst time. My man did notice have been to doc and still doesn’t know whats wrong or how to fix. This sucks

Danielle on February 15th, 2013 at 1:01 am
  31. Most people I’ve spoken to after having my nipples pierced over a year ago say it’s part of the healing process, mine hardly ever smell/ have discharge anymore, and I think it’s because my pharmasist gave me a spray on savlon thing that heals cuts and burns,she said to use it on any peircings and it would help them to heal faster, I really do think it helps a lot.

Meg on April 29th, 2013 at 7:02 pm