Dermal Anchors

«« Laser Hair Removal    Stretching and irritation »»

Wednesday November 7th, 2007 @ 7:39 PM

Filed under: Piercing

Hey QOD. Just wondering about Dermal Anchors: if a person had to go for an MRI or something like that, they wouldn’t be able to take it out (unless permanent removal was waht you wanted)… would that be okay?

For scenarios like that, or if a person got in an accident and doctor’s didn’t know how to remove the dermal anchor, could this cause problems?

I really want a dermal anchor piercing, but at my last panoramic dental x-ray my nape piercing was going to maybe mess up the x-ray (just visually)… and I don’t want to cause any problems for myself.

What do you think?

You bring up an excellent point. This is the main reason microdermals scare me…people don’t understand how permanent they can be. Ine the case of microdermals, metal subdermals and transdermals (or any piercing that could not be easily removed) can cause problems with not just x-rays and mri’s but with AED’s (shock paddles) that need to be used in a timely manner to effectively save the patients life. I don’t know the severity of the problem first hand, but I do know AED’s cause an arc that travels from one pad to the next with the heart in between. Metal objects in this path can cause the electricity to focus on them.

I have a metal subdermal and 6 transdermals. I went into them thinking of the possible outcomes and accepting of the risk. I fear that people may not take microdermals as seriously because of how much easier they are to get in the body. There’s a piercer south of me who puts them in monroe placement…..not even telling the client it’s any different than a piercing!

Educate yourself, know the risk and then decide if the risk are worth it to you.

Posted by Sean Philips | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

16 Responses to “Dermal Anchors”

1. As far as an MRI goes, I’m scheduled for one next week. Currently, I have a nape microdermal and 2 of em under my navel.

Thing is, Ti, SSS, etc. aren’t magnetic materials, and an MRI is based on magnetic fields (vs the density of materials with an xray, I believe. Don’t quote me, I’m a business major, not a med student), so while a microdermal may show up on the MRI it’s not going to hurt it

My neuro has seen the microdermals and has cleared them for the MRI. His only guess was that they might heat up.

As far as an AED goes, I can’t see many major problems with them unless they were sternum, etc. placements. I can imagine there may be some burning around the implant, but hey, if you need a shock a little burn is the least of your problems.

I took a CPR class last weekend, and in it they covered using AED’s… I was told that if someone has nipple piercings, and if you absolutely canNOT get them off, to apply the AED pads anyway (In this case I’m referring to the machines that assess the patient automatically, and determine whether or not to shock).

Just my $.02

AutomaticGirl on November 8th, 2007 at 12:02 am
  2. I thought I saw an episode of Myth Busters where they proved it wrong and that nothing will happen if you have a microdermal.

ElizabethBathory on November 8th, 2007 at 5:14 pm
  3. Just as something to consider regarding piercing/microdermals and MRI’s…even if it’s unlikely that anything will happen as a result of having them, there is a lot of uncertain surrounding stuff like this among even the professionals. I have to get MRI’s pretty regularly, and they always insist I take out my piercings. I always ask the techs doing the MRI’s and I’ve gotten very mixed responses.

Some have said they’re certain it would cause a problem. Some have said they’re positive it wouldn’t cause a problem. Others have said they really don’t know. Those that have said they’re sure it won’t cause a problem always say that it’s hospital policy that if it can be removed, it has to be.

So, just because it may well be fine having a microdermal for an MRI, there’s no guarantee that you aren’t going to be asked (and perhpas even made) to remove it.

Derek Lowe on November 9th, 2007 at 1:08 am
  4. speaking as an EMT in regards to AED use…. if we were going to use an AED on you, technically you’re already dead, and the goal of the AED is to save your life. therefore a burn that may result from the metal in a piercing getting heated by the shock is really quite secondary and unimportant. wouldn’t you rather be alive with a burn than dead? i seriously doubt in an emergency situation where an AED is being used that even a doctor would fiddle with removeable piercings because time is of the essence! the sooner one is ‘defribed’ the greater chance of survival!

amphibeing on November 9th, 2007 at 10:54 am
  5. They DID just test this on mythbusters…you’d have to be actually touching the AED paddle to the piercing to even ellicit an arc or a shock. I’m in major need of my heart being shocked back to life…I better not wake up to some perv rubbing an AED paddle on my piercings.

reignboblu on November 9th, 2007 at 7:27 pm
  6. I have 2 microdermals and been through cat scans with them, as well as several piercings which have been through MRI’s, dental X-rays, and several surgeries and I’ve had no problems other than ass hole doctors.

Sarah on November 11th, 2007 at 5:16 pm
  7. My neck is hurting really bad and lately the back of my head has been swollen i have 3 sternum dermal anchors and ive been puttiong off making an appointment with a doctor because if they send me to get an xray cat scan or mri i dont want them to take it out. i paid alot of money for them and i like them. but i dont want any problems to be caused because of them and i cant not go to the doctor

Randi on August 1st, 2010 at 4:48 am
  8. When I got my microdermals I asked the piercer if I’d have to have the anchors removed before having an MRI, he said the anchors & jewelry shouldn’t be affected. Since then I’ve had numerous x-rays, a CT scan & even an MRI. No precautions were taken prior to any of the tests & nothing harmful or damaging occurred during or after.

Ella on August 30th, 2010 at 2:00 am
  9. thanks sara and ella ! i am scheduled for an mri tomorrow and have a dermal on my sternum. i was a bit worried about it! my piercer told me to just remove the jewel part and it’d be ok but i was still double checking and you guys made me feel a ton better !

paula on May 9th, 2012 at 3:42 pm
  10. Sarah - those “ass hole doctors” are responsible for making sure you don’t get hurt, you idiot. If they tell you an MRI is 100% fine and you end up with a magnet-responsive piece of metal ripped out of your skin, you’re going to sue that “asshole” aren’t you?

And Jesus f’n Christ, Randi, see the damn doctor before you die of meningitis or something. Your head should not have any swelling unless you smacked it against something… And judging from your lack of common sense, an ER visit might be in store since you apparently have brain damage too.

I can’t believe I’m replying to years-old posts. >_< lmao

Janae on May 15th, 2012 at 2:19 pm
  11. Janae ,lmfao i like u! haha

chuck on June 4th, 2012 at 9:29 pm
  12. guys i need help!

jordan on June 11th, 2012 at 8:20 am
  13. I got 2 dermal anchors a week ago on collar bones and have just found out I have to have a MRI done on my hips in 4 weeks, is this going to be a problem????

Kstrawbs on June 23rd, 2012 at 12:13 pm
  14. I was so glad to read about dermals and M.R.I’s. I have to have them every once in a while to check on my M.S. Thanks for putting me a little at ease :)

Zotattooed on October 2nd, 2012 at 12:44 am
  15. I have a micro dermal on my wrist. Been through surgery, xray and mri with no probs. Usually they just cover it up with a band aid in case it burns. I read somewhere else that the type of metal used for the piercing doesn’t get magnetized, so it’s not a prob. Think of the people with screws and plates in their bodies. should be fine, in my opinion.

Kbon on January 8th, 2013 at 12:23 am
  16. Most surface anchor “bottoms” are made out of titanium. Titanium does not magnatiz . This means it’s completely safe for MRI scans, X-rays, CT scans, PET scans, etc. The only time it could be an issue is when the jewelry could block the view during the scan, say nipple piercings in a lung X-ray. If your doctor still insists your jewelry needs to come out, most piercing shops often have safe glass or ptfe retainers to wear during the scan. But as far as surface anchors go you should be fine.

serenity on May 28th, 2013 at 5:36 pm