Headphones

«« Scarring on Vertical Lip piercing    Can a nape piercing be done if the skin is very tight? »»

Friday October 12th, 2007 @ 1:07 AM

Filed under: Uncategorized

So might be a weird question, but I have a few ear piercings (right ear: tragus and rook, left ear: inner conch) that I wear barbells in all the time. I have the darndest time finding headphones for my iPod that don’t give me ear blisters because of my piercings (I didn’t have blister problems before I had the piercings with the same headphones). The most comfortable ones I’ve found thus far are the ones that come with the iPod; I’ve tried the ones that go inside the ear (hurt my tragus piercing, which is relatively new), the ones that loop around (bugged my conch), and ones like the old school Walkman ones (too much pressure on my rook, which is finicky to begin with despite being 3 years old and totally healed).

So does anyone know of any piercing-friendly headphones for smallish ears?

You guys rock.

One thing would be to instead of wearing a barbell in your tragus, to switch it to a labret stud. That way the flat back of the stud gets put against the back of your tragus, instead of having the bead there. That can elevate the problem with the tragus piercing and enable you to wear one of the various ear bud type headphones.

The other option is hip swanky DJ style headphones if you don’t want the retro look of the old school headphones. ;)

Personally I have this problem as well with headphones, even though I have no cartilage piercings. Headphones are really something that should require customization to fit the persons ear shape comfortably. But sadly nobody does that due to probably the expense among other things as well.

Posted by Warren Hiller | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

12 Responses to “Headphones”

1. I had this same problem with my cartilage piercings. My tragus was done with a very well bent nostril screw, until it fell out one day in the shower, which was ok for headphone use. my main problem was my large gauge inner conch piercings. I eventually switched out the glass for silicone, which lays a lot more flat, then i really had no problems with the in the ear style headphones. This will only work for the larger gauge healed conch piercings though.

Alex on October 12th, 2007 at 9:33 am
  2. I had the same problem with headphones, and the best I found are from a brand called Skullcandy. They’re earbuds with flexible, sillicone ends, and they come with different sized ends, so they fit your ears properly. They also have great sound, and are relatively inexpensive. my ear that was most bothered by headphones had an industrial, tragus, and an inner-conch/transverse lobe hybrid. Using those headphones, my ears haven’t been bothered at all.

Xalia on October 12th, 2007 at 12:06 pm
  3. I have Shure SE210’s, and they make several other styles.

They come with several different earbud attachments (silicone or foam in varying sizes) and they’re really small. They work perfect for me, even with 5/8″ conches under a motorcycle helmet, and the sound quality is excellent.

Alan on October 12th, 2007 at 2:06 pm
  4. I have some JVC Marshmallow ear buds and they’re super comfy in my ears. They have an almost ear plug like end that helps hold them in at a comfortable depth, these are the first ones Ive found that havent irritated the crap out of my tragus.

Ann on October 12th, 2007 at 3:54 pm
  5. Silicone jewelry would definitely help if you’re capable of wearing it.

Personally I’m not a fan of Nostril Screws or CBR’s in Tragus piercings. I find a well made labret stud, ideally a NeoMetal threadless labret stud, works much better.

The thing to make sure of is that the jewelry doesn’t have excessive lengths on the posts…The jewelry should fit comfortably snug to the pierced location…Maybe having a mm of extra length just incase.

Warren Hiller on October 12th, 2007 at 11:42 pm
  6. I have my conch and tragus, and i have a labret in my conch backwards, and a labret in my tragus, and i wear [url=http://www.nusystems.co.uk/images/products/medium/Sony.MDR-J10.L.3847.jpg]these[/url], without problems.

CynthEtik on October 13th, 2007 at 12:38 am
  7. I had the same problem with headphones bugging my tragus, which I wear a cbr in. The best headphones I’ve found are Panasonic jellies, they’re made of soft rubber, so they don’t push too much on my tragus piercing.

Reading about putting a labret bar in a tragus, would also be perfect for these headphones I think.

Bexi on October 14th, 2007 at 5:00 pm
  8. I’d go with Skull candy on this one, their larger headphones collapse into a small bag when not in use and are large enough to not even upset a brand new Industrial.

Lucas Reichennek on October 15th, 2007 at 12:59 am
  9. i have the same prooblem. but i have a CBR in one tragus and a barbell in the other… i’ve noticed that the earbuds fit my ear better where i’m wearing a CBR in my tragus. try switching to a small CBR!

R on October 16th, 2007 at 11:50 pm
  10. Grr my tragus is exactly the same! it was pierced with a barbell and i cant even put headphones in that side it now hurts so much (cheapie hard nokia ones - i dont think any good quality ones fit my phone!). Joys! I have a labret bar coming in the post, but cause of this whole postal strike its taking forever to come :(

Liz on October 19th, 2007 at 4:46 am
  11. i totally hear you. i have my tragus on one side, and double cartilidge on the other. and headphone just suck. the little buds dont fit in cause of the tragus, and the wrap arounds get stuck on my cartlidge, and i just cant convince myself to spend 40+ bucks on big retro ones.

Dani on October 19th, 2007 at 6:56 pm
  12. i’ve had the same problem with my tragus in my right and my daith on the left.
    with the daith i switched from a bent barbell to a horseshoe, which allows you to kinda move it around to accomodate the ear bud.

what I’ve resorted to on the otehr side it to put the cable around the back and then top of my ear and then stick it in my ear from the top. it doesnt stick in as far but its more comfortable if you have piercings.

Lriz on July 15th, 2008 at 2:53 pm